Question

What is the command to control music in multiple Sonos rooms/speakers on Google Assistant?

Userlevel 1
I can issue play/volume commands on Google Assistant to a specific speaker (e.g. "Play x station on Pandora in Kitchen"). However how do I command to play in Kitchen, Dining Room, and Bedroom (as an example)?

Is there a command for 'everywhere'? or 'all speakers'? (e.g. "Play x station on Pandora in Everywhere")

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Bobtusa, there isn't a command to group players together using Google Assistant. You would need to use the Sonos app to group players together.
Userlevel 1
To clarify, ok that I can't group from the commands (for now, would be great to in future). But I am more looking for command against an existing group already in place, and also a command for all of them ('everywhere').

Any plans for roadmap on commanding with groups? Or not going to be the case in the future.
If your rooms already grouped, a command to play music one of the rooms in the group should play in all rooms in the group.
I was REALLY hoping for the EVERYWHERE functionality too... seems like a no brainer and something they would have planned in the year long delay. Minimum it would be nice to say Play X everywhere. Best would be to also play in specific rooms/groups already established in the Sonos App.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have living room and dining room grouped. Command to play either will play both , but volume commands have to be made individually ("turn up living room" then "turn up dining room") Is there a way not to have to do that?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have living room and dining room grouped. Command to play either will play both , but volume commands have to be made individually ("turn up living room" then "turn up dining room") Is there a way not to have to do that?
Update - Actually,for what it's worth you can do it in one sentence but you have to say "turn it up"(or down) for each room : "turn it up in the living room and turn it up in the dining room", not "turn it up in the living room and the dining room."
I can see that Google on Sonos is also full of limitations.
If you need your smartphone on hand and open the Sonos app for group volume and room grouping and related functions, why will you use voice?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I can see that Google on Sonos is also full of limitations.
If you need your smartphone on hand and open the Sonos app for group volume and room grouping and related functions, why will you use voice?

As per Alexa integration with Sonos, I expect a steady drip feed of functionality for GA support. Not all development is on the Sonos echo system, some will be on Goggle's, we can only guess at this stage what the issues are.
As the features mentioned here in this thread are already in the Sonos/Alexa integration, you would hope the same will eventually be available via the Google Assistant... fingers-x’d. Not sure how long that will take to happen though?

At least those users who have purchased a Sonos One and/or Beam can switch their chosen voice assistant and get the best of either/both worlds.

I'm mostly sticking with Alexa on Sonos at the moment, with a small footprint in the Google Assistant camp, waiting for more features on Sonos to come down the line. I plan to have both assistants in all main rooms eventually.

The Amazon Alexa enabled auto-group features and “group-volume control” with Sonos devices are great features and difficult to now let go, having used them for many months.

Both voice assistants however, each have their advantages.
Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a Google Mini as well as a number of Sonos speakers around the house.

In the Google Home app, there’s a place where you can ‘Create Speaker Group’. I was hoping to use that to create different groups (everywhere; certain speakers) that the Google Assistant would recognise… Unfortunately, it only shows the Google Mini as group-able. None of the Sonos speakers show up there as devices that can be grouped. Annoying!

I’ve tried different commands like “play music on all devices in the house” “...all speakers”, etc. but no luck as I’m sure everyone else has experienced.

I find the voice functionality not all that helpful. Tend to just use the app still

In the Google Home app, there’s a place where you can ‘Create Speaker Group’. I was hoping to use that to create different groups (everywhere; certain speakers) that the Google Assistant would recognise… Unfortunately, it only shows the Google Mini as group-able. None of the Sonos speakers show up there as devices that can be grouped. Annoying!

I’ve tried different commands like “play music on all devices in the house” “...all speakers”, etc. but no luck as I’m sure everyone else has experienced.

I find the voice functionality not all that helpful. Tend to just use the app still

It’s currently easier to Group the Sonos Rooms in the Sonos App and then get google to play to one if the rooms. It will then play to the entire group. It’s just a workaround until Google/Sonos get around to maybe implementing this (already) much-requested feature. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

It’s currently easier to Group the Sonos Rooms in the Sonos App and then get google to play to one if the rooms. It will then play to the entire group. It’s just a workaround until Google/Sonos get around to maybe implementing this (already) much-requested feature. 

Agreed. I think this is probably the biggest reason I don't use the voice assistant much... Once I've opened the app to group the speakers I want, then it's just easier to use it  to do the next part too.

I'm sure they'll get there eventually. I think it'll be a game changer for how I use my system when they do