Answered

Turn down Assistant volume on Sonos One?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Is it possible to turn down the Assistant volume on the Sonos One independently of the music volume?

I have my Sonos One fairly loud but don't need the Assistant to shout!
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 6 July 2019, 01:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

98 replies

Userlevel 3

You need to fix this Sonos, this makes me wanna sell all my Sonos ones

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

With the Google Assistant, you can play music, find answers courtesy of Google Search, plan your day, set timers, and easily control smart devices around your home. And, with a Chromecast device, access TV and movies by using a simple voice command. 

The integration also supports features specific to Google Assistant, like continued conversation, meaning you can ask the Google Assistant a series of questions without having to say “Hey Google” every time. For more information on using Google Assistant to control Sonos, please see this link.

We’ll continue to bring more actions and functionality to the experience over time through software. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

I fixed mine !  If you recall, you can change the voice volume of your Google Hub speaker by telling it “ SET DISPLAY VOLUME 10% and it adjusts the hub voice volume accordingly.  Now I found I can do the same with my MOVE (with the Move Microphone on).  My Move speaker is named “Move” in Google Home, so I said “Hey Google, set MOVE volume 10%” and it works.  Give it a try.

You need to fix this Sonos, this makes me wanna sell all my Sonos ones

See my new post on it.

Badge

For some glimpse of control I made an IFTTT applet that sets the volume of my Sonos devices every night at 03:00 AM. This way my morning talk with Google won’t be of a suprising volume.

is the screaming Google Assistant fixed in the meantime? can I control the volume of it?

I fixed mine !  If you recall, you can change the voice volume of your Google Hub speaker by telling it “ SET DISPLAY VOLUME 10% and it adjusts the hub voice volume accordingly.  Now I found I can do the same with my MOVE (with the Move Microphone on).  My Move speaker is named “Move” in Google Home, so I said “Hey Google, set MOVE volume 10%” and it works.  Give it a try.

Did the same with my MOVE and even though GA said it didn’t recognize my command it lowered the volume nicely. ABSOLUTELY great and I don’t know why the Sonos team don’t info about this option.. 

Cheers

Worked for me on my sonos one! I just said "hey google, set living room volume 10%"

(My sonos is names living room)

The loud GA was driving me crazy... almost refunded.

I’d like this feature too, even if it was in the Amazon app. Currently I’ve replaced Sonos Play speakers and Alexa dots for Sonos One’s and the sound improvement and lack of devices being plugged in is great.

although it’s not a good experience listening to music at say volume 8 and then at 2am in the morning talking to Alexa to turn on a light in our new babies room and she blasted it out across our top floor.

Badge +1

Worked for me on my sonos one! I just said "hey google, set living room volume 10%"

(My sonos is names living room)

The loud GA was driving me crazy... almost refunded.

Until you play music, turn up the volume.

Google used to have two different volumes, one for voice, one for music.

They got rid of it.

I'll make sure your voice is heard with the team. It's not the first request for a similar feature from the community. I don't have any details as to if it'll happen, but I'll make sure the team knows people are still asking.

Hi Ryan
Is it possible to get an update about how far you are with the dedicated voice assistant volume? 

It is still very frustrating to use! 

Badge

This is an absolute must, I keep my bedroom beam verrrry low so I barely can hear it while falling asleep, but I can’t even hear google assistant when asking it for my morning routine, etc unless I turn it up first. We absolutely need independent volume control. 

Quite honestly, I feel like Sonos doesn't take us seriously. Everywhere they have been giving the same answer for more than 1 year, but if you ask if there are changes to come, it remains silent.

I too would like to see independent volume control for the assistant versus the audio output.

Thanks for the heads up. Just cancelled my Sonos Roam because of the voice volume issue

I’ve just received my Sonos One gen 2 speaker. 

I love the sound so regularly set the volume relatively high to listen to music. I then forget and at night when I tell Google to turn off my lights the assistant’s response comes booming out!

It seems like this is a common request, so please could you update the community on where this is in the list of developments, if at all?

Many thanks.

This is an absolute must, I keep my bedroom beam verrrry low so I barely can hear it while falling asleep, but I can’t even hear google assistant when asking it for my morning routine, etc unless I turn it up first. We absolutely need independent volume control. 

It’s actually possible to do this with routines. If you go in to your Google Home app, click on routines, find the “Good Morning” routine, you can then add an action to “adjust media volume” and place it at the top of the routine list. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@TheRealOne I've tried setting this routine, though the Home-app seems to only be able to start routines from both my Home Mini's, not from my Sonos speakers. Is thsi specific for my system?

@TheRealOne I've tried setting this routine, though the Home-app seems to only be able to start routines from both my Home Mini's, not from my Sonos speakers. Is thsi specific for my system?

I’ve just tried it on my Sonos One and it works if I say “OK Google, Good Morning” it runs my Good Morning routine which includes the volume control. But you’re right, you can’t set the Sonos as the default speaker for routines from the Home app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just tried it on the Sonos One in my office. It does seem to work! Great advice!

What did you try? What works? Just the morning routine or is there a way how to set the overall assistant volume? 

Just tried it on the Sonos One in my office. It does seem to work! Great advice!

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

With the Google Assistant, you can play music, find answers courtesy of Google Search, plan your day, set timers, and easily control smart devices around your home. And, with a Chromecast device, access TV and movies by using a simple voice command. 

The integration also supports features specific to Google Assistant, like continued conversation, meaning you can ask the Google Assistant a series of questions without having to say “Hey Google” every time. For more information on using Google Assistant to control Sonos, please see this link.

We’ll continue to bring more actions and functionality to the experience over time through software. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

We don’t care about features, we need separate volume control because assistant volume is crazy high compared to music or movie which just played. I am going to return my sonos, because this is unacceptable.

Both apps suck

This website gave me two errors prior this posting

This basic functionality is being ignored for 2 years.

As soon as there is a chance I'll get rid of my sonos stuff. I'm so fed up. With the latest beam update they even managed to break chromecast/TV shutdown commands randomly with "unknown error occurred"

So Sonsos Staff, don't mind me. You lost me. But you may want to keep other customers.