Answered

Sonos and Google Assistant not connecting.

Userlevel 2
Badge
Please help. I've been waiting for this, and now when Sonos controller tries to connect to Google Assistant, no devices are found. I have unplugged everything, restarted phone, tried several things and still not connecting to Google Assistant on my 2 Sonos Ones. What do I do? I have lost an hour and a half of my life on this!

Ok and now I must have clicked some answered thing on this forum. This is not answered!! Fix this issue ASAP what a waste of time, Sonos!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 May 2019, 04:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
You may want to contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

The community forum moderators tend to be online during work hours only, like the phone folks.

I don't use social media so I am going to follow instructions that Jeff from Sonos gave us to follow right here in this thread, posting diagnostic confirmation. I'll try to call when I'm not working.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
If you have any google devices, you can get things working through google home app as well. Worked for me.
Badge
Doesn't seem right to call this thread answered when the answer was to contact support, especially since support specifically asked for diagnostics from those of us who tried all the steps posted and still failed. Many of us have posted diagnostics, but I do not see a single reply to these. Huge Fail from Sonos on this crap implementation.
Doesn't seem right to call this thread answered when the answer was to contact support, especially since support specifically asked for diagnostics from those of us who tried all the steps posted and still failed. Many of us have posted diagnostics, but I do not see a single reply to these. Huge Fail from Sonos on this crap implementation.

How often did you try to connect GA to Sonos - once, twice? It may work at third or fourth attempt.
Badge

Doesn't seem right to call this thread answered when the answer was to contact support, especially since support specifically asked for diagnostics from those of us who tried all the steps posted and still failed. Many of us have posted diagnostics, but I do not see a single reply to these. Huge Fail from Sonos on this crap implementation.How often did you try to connect GA to Sonos - once, twice? It may work at third or fourth attempt.

More times than I can recall, at least 10 times. A few of those times I even removed Sonos from GA to start fresh, I have rebooted all speakers, my router/modem a few of those times as well.

I suspect the folks with issues are iOS users, I don't own any GA devices, no android. So I am starting fresh with GA. It does NOT work.
I have been having trouble for days. I initially had it working on a single Play One. Feeling encouraged I dug out a Google mini I had tucked away and decided to change my Beam as well. Wouldn't find it at all. Finally did when directly connected. I then unplugged the Ethernet cable and waited a few minutes. Everything was good. I unplugged and moved it back only to be greeted by silence and then,"something went wrong. Try again in a few seconds." Now I have Alexa back on the Beam and the Play One has the GA with the hiccup. It will play music after a delay but won't answer questions. I've had contact with Sonos and have monitored the forums. I can't seem to find a solution.
I think I might have found the solution, unlink all music services from your Sonos device. This worked for me and immediately after I was able to set all my sonos speakers to google assistant and discovery went fine.

Before I also had the problem with it not finding the speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for sharing, Mr Mad. If anyone's still having trouble, feel free contact our support team live on this one. There are some great steps to start with here before you reach out.
I think I might have found the solution, unlink all music services from your Sonos device. This worked for me and immediately after I was able to set all my sonos speakers to google assistant and discovery went fine.

Before I also had the problem with it not finding the speakers.

This worked for me. Thanks for sharing!
Ok - this thread is definitely *not* answered.

"Some users have found" is not a solution.
Trying it 4 or 5 times is not a solution.

Here's a solution: follow steps 1-x and it works 100% of the time.

Anything else is "we don't really know what's going on."

I have numerous Sonos & Google devices. A combination of these in 1 location w/a Sonos network, fully integrated with the Assistant. In the other location, I'm trying to add my first Sonos device - a Sonos One. We also have Android phones.

I've tried all of the following approaches, with no luck:
a) Using the UI - Sonos App + Google Assistant
b) Removing all music services & repeating (a)
c) Using the Google Home app to add a new device
d) Hard reset, then (a) and (c)

Each step has been tried multiple times.

It would be great to hear from Sonos that:
a) this is a recognized and reproducible problem (or not)
b) a software fix is in the works

or

c) We really don't have integration with Google Assistant on Sonos One.

I'd say that maybe responsibility lies somewhat with Google, but they aren't putting the Assistant label on the marketing, Sonos is.
Also, I have followed the helpful tips at https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/helpful-tips-for-making-the-google-assistant-work-with-sonos-6825470 and also run through the entire setup using my wife's Sonos / Google accounts. Still no luck. No real error messages other than "Can't find devices on network."
Ok, finally got it working. Here is what worked for me:

1) Make sure you aren't using your Sonos account with any other Google Assistant integrations.
For example, I already had GA / Sonos integration at location 1 using jeffme1@email.tld. So, I'd need to find or create another Google account (say... jeffme2@email.tld) and then set up another Sonos account with that email.

2) Be sure to invite your new Google account to your Google family accounts & your Google home installation, assuming you have other devices on your network (Nests, etc.). Otherwise, you may have issues (see below).

3) Make sure you are logged out of all other Google accounts on your phone. If you're like me, this could be 4 or 5... this is just necessary for setup b/c sometimes Google will try to authenticate with 1 of those accounts as a default & the only reliable way of making sure it's not the wrong account is to log out of / remove every account other than the one you want to use.

4) Once I had an alternate / fresh account to use and was completely logged out of all other accounts, I did a hard refresh on my Sonos and went through the entire setup process and it worked.

Here's what else I learned:

"Can't find any devices" - this message was bedeviling me in my first attempts to set things up. What I learned on my second time through is this... BIG... if you DON'T see the assistant asking you to log into Sonos before you see the "Can't find any devices," you MAY have an account problem. I never saw this step inside the Assistant until I took care of (1) and (2) above.

Google Home snags - if you have a lot of other Google Home / Nest / etc. devices on your home network, your new Google account will be isolated from those devices and services.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for sharing those details and what you had to do to get it working. For most, the Google Assistant setup is pretty straight forward, but there are some snags that can come up. Glad you're all set now!
Anyone having trouble with google assistant (GA) and sonos? I opened the Sonos app and realised that GA had dropped out. I have tried to reconnect via the Sonos app but no luck. I disconnected Sonos from GA app also prior to reconnecting and still no luck.

GA cannot reach Sonos...I receive this error...

BTW I have attempted at least 5 times!
As you can see, there are some issues with Google Voice Assistant. See this link:

https://status.sonos.com/
My fix was:
1. uninstalling the standalone Google Assistant app if it's installed on your device.
2. Go to (Google) "Home" app, push the "+" sign with the word "add" below it.
3. Choose option "set up device".
4. Choose option "Have something already set up?"
5. Search for "Sonos" account, if it's already linked, unlink and log right back in. I actually had to do this twice interestingly enough.
6. You should now be able to identify your device if you had the same issue I did. While setting up your device, it gives you the options of compatible music apps. Be sure to be signed in to any that you have also linked to your Sonos account.

Hope this helps.
Multiple attempts from me fail as well.

Network setup:
  • Fritz Box 5490 router w/ 1750 mesh repeater connected over ethernet
  • SonosNet used for Sonos system with ZP as the "hub" connected over ethernet to the router
  • Google Home Hub also in use and already connected to Sonos and Spotify accounts
I keep trying to add the GA capability to my Sonos One. I have gotten to various stages of progress but never 100% successful. The furthest I got was when I was able to get GA enabled but then the Sonos One would never be able to do anything after the "hey google" command.

Occasionally it will discover the Sonos One but then when I give permissions I get a "there may be a problem" screen and we are back to the looking for devices screen which fails with "no devices found" 95% of the time.

I am guessing that the issue here is a non-vanilla home network setup and/or the coexistence with a Google Home Hub / Google Home app.

Diagnostic: 1489249209

Alexa just works...
Userlevel 1

Hello,

I also have issues with enabling GA on my Beam.

I have reached to Sonos, and waiting for a reply.

Here is my experience:

It is almost three week now that GA has stopped working on my Beam.

When I "OK Google"ed, it responded with "there was a bleach try again in a few seconds" or other similar error.
I tried rebooting the beam, rebooting my router, took of the power off for the whole house for a minute and turn it back on. 
Non of these changed anything.
I checked with the  status.sonos.com website and all systems were operational. 
Also now, while writing this, all systems are operational, and I am experiencing this issue.

Next, I unpaired Sonos from GA, remove the surround speakers, did a factory reset to the Beam, and re-added it to the Sonos system.
Now, when I try to pair it again with GA, weather I am using the Sonos app or the Google Home app, it always ends with "No devices found".
I also tried changing from WiFi to Ethernet cable and back, it is all the same.
Currently all three Living room speakers are connected using cables.

Here are some symptoms I have:
When Sonos and GA are paired, I can see my Sonos speakers on Google home app.
- When asking GA to play music on the Bathroom Play:1 - it returns "Ok playing bla bla", and it start playing as expected.
- When asking GA to play music on the Living Room (Beam+2Play:1s) - it returns "Ok playing bla bla" and then immediately it sais "sorry it looks like the Living Room isn't available right now"
- On the Google Home app, When I go to the Sonos TV Control Living Room, the status change from "Connecting" to "Not responding" and vise versa each second.

Using the Sonos app, everything is playing normal.

Had this same problem w/ my Sonos Play1s. Here’s how I got it to work. Note this only applies to iOS devices.

1. Delete Google Assistant app from phone (this was KEY to making this work for me)
  2. Google Home app: unlink Sonos
  3. Google Home app: re-add Sonos and re-authorize
  4. Sonos App: Settings - Services - Voice - Add a Service - Google Assistant
    1. This will ultimately prompt you to download Google Assistant app
    2. Download Google Assitant App, it’ll scan for devices - only select 1 device to set up (ex if you have two Play 1 devices, only pick one of them
  5. Should be good to go -- if you need to set up another device start over at step 1 above but skip steps 2 and 3

Just an FYI that I ran into this issue with multiple Pixel phones running Android 10 recently when trying to add the Google Assistant to the Sonos Move.  An almost endless hang on either fetching the assistant to perform the integration or the assistant looking for devices. 

I ran the integration on an IOS device and it worked fine (after installing Google Assistant on IOS).

Hope this helps!

Just had this problem.

In my case, I had reset my sonos controller on my android device plus I had separated a pair with google assistant already set up. If you have used a pair you might have noticed one is a master and other a slave with the master only responding to google assistant. The one I am setting up was the slave.

To fix it 

I still had my sonos "skill" whatever it's called in my google home app so after going through the sonos setup I unlinked the sonos skill from google home, and added the speaker to a home and room, tried to setup google home in sonos and it worked.

I think because I no longer use the master but had reset sonos, Google home still had a memory of the master? And because only one works with assistant out of a pair it would not let me add another until I cleared it by relinking my sonos account to home again.

Hope that helps 

In case it helps anyone, I managed to resolve my similar issue of Sonos One’s ↔ Google Assistant integration problems (after previously working fine for many months) where it would take many, many retries for Google Assistant to recognize my Sonos One speakers to integrate them in the first place and then sporadically having SOnos One’s Assistant respond with “there must have been a glitch” and “sorry, something went wrong” after integration. 

Problem was the enabling of IPv6 on my home network.  I’m guessing the Sonos One’s preferred IPv6 once getting an address but couldn’t reach out to the Internet or talk with my Google Home’s over it which caused the problems.  Disabling IPv6, everything started working fine again.

Unsure if this is on any roadmaps for being addressed. 

HtHs.

Although my issue differs a bit with anything else I've come across on the forums in the past few months, I thought I'd add my experiences in case this helps some other poor soul with tech-support baggage nearing the give-up point on Sonos.

Background:

I purchased a Sonos Playbar and Sonos One pair to use as a home theatre system for my TV. Setup went relatively smoothly as I expected for the premium that I had paid (albeit temporary physical ethernet connections were needed for all speakers before switching to wifi), and I was able to use the various integrations including Google assistant without issue. I hummed and hawed about the Playbar soundstage width for a couple of weeks but eventually decided that the compromises made for the compactness of the setup were not worth it and replaced it with the new Amp and a set of Klipsch bookshelf speakers (much to my satisfaction on the home theatre experience end).

This is where my problems began. Setup of the system itself was about the same as before, but I had no end of problems getting Google Assistant working without a wired ethernet connection to one of the Sonos One speakers. All other internet-requiring functionality worked without issue (Spotify, Google Play, speaker configuration, etc.), And Google Assistant would even work when connected via Ethernet (after some rather tedious multipl-attempts setup as described here: (https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/unable-to-set-up-google-assistant-6830205). However, following any instructions I could find, and every kind of reset and renewing I could think of, Google Assistant would always time out after any prompt and respond with "something is not working right now, try again in a few seconds...".

Although it was a bit of a pain, there was no way to get a wired ethernet connection to the speakers in their intended locations in our rather large and oddly-shaped living room, so I removed the Sonos One pair from my home theatre and set them up as their own independent stereo set. Infuriatingly, this worked, and I was able to set up and use Google Assistant normally without a wired ethernet connection. When I was watching a particularly good movie I would go through setup and add them back into the home theatre as surrounds, and then split them out as an independent stereo set each time. I was very disappointed and regretted my Sonos purchases but this was workable as an interim before working up enough angst to call technical support.

Solution:
Last night I tried mucking with the IPv6 settings for my wifi modem, and Google Assistant started working on wifi with my One/Amp home theatre setup for the first time. In the end I think this is what did it:

1) I changed the modem DHCPv6 auto configuration type from "Stateless" to "Stateful". I have no idea what IPv6 or any of these things mean, but this was the only IPv6 setting available to me without contacting my internet service provider (Ziggo). I had to access my wifi modem's advanced DHCP configuration settings via web browser to find any mention of IPv6.

2) After waiting a minute or so, there was no effect and Google Assistant still didn't work. I next unplugged the Sonos One with Google Assistant (I only powered down this speaker).

3) It took 30 seconds or so for the speaker to boot up and then I said "Hey Google, what's up?" I was immediately greeted with something to the effect of "According to Wikipedia, Whatsapp is a social media service...", and this was music to my ears!

Thanks everyone for your input on these issues. I can now use my wireless talking computer box in peace, subtle ambient surround effects included, like the pompous long-winded curmudgeon that I am.

This worked for me!!
1. Download Google Home app. Go to ‘Home’  and find your device. Click onto device and the ‘unlink Sonos’ for each device you have. 
2. Go back into your Sonos app and set up your devices all over again. 
Google assistant will also be part of the set up and Voila.