Answered

Sonos 5 can't connect Google Assistant endless loop

• 17 July 2023
  • 1 reply

I’m not able to connect Google Assistant to my Sonos Five and Sub (3rd gen).  

1. Per the instructions, I’ve linked my music (Spotify) to both Sonos and Google.  I also confirmed the Five supports Assistant
  2. The instruction page from Sonos shows clicking on Assistant in the Sonos app and then it opening Assistant to complete the setup.  Instead of the GA setup page, I get a “Set up Google Assistant” help page which tells me to go to the Assistant App to connect it
  3. When I go to the Google Assistant app and link or reconnect my Sonos account, it connects successfully.  
  4. I can cast to my Sonos but GA doesn’t recognize it as a device I can add
  5. When I go to the “Devices” section in Assistant and Home, it only shows the Google devices and Assistant eligible and doesn’t show the Sonos. 
  6. I get the exact same process on both iPhone and Pixel 7 Pro

I called Sonos to help and the rep said “It’s a Google problem so call them” which is less than helpful answer.  Anyone have a solution to this?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 18 July 2023, 00:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

The setup in the Sonos App is for adding the voice assistant firmware to those speakers that have built-in mics and the voice assistant component, (‘voice-enabled products’) such as a Sonos One, Beam, Arc etc. the Sonos Five does not have these features.

You can still control the Five/Sub however, but you need either a Google nest device with built-in assistant, or another device with built-in/added Google Assistant, such as a Sonos One etc.

Note, once you have such s controlling device with the assistant onboard - you will need to ensure the Sonos Skill/Action is installed in the Google Home/App and also note that the Spotify account (installed in both Apps) needs to be a paid subscription premium account and not a Spotify ‘free’ account.

Hope that assists. 👍