Ok, Google "Play music" - Plays wrong music

• 31 October 2020
  • 12 replies

When I ask Google Home ‘Ok, Google Play Music’ it plays music I like (probably my supermix)

When I ask Sonos Arc ‘Ok, Google Play Music’ it plays music I have never heard.

Also I can't like/dislike currently playing song using voice ‘Ok, Google Like/Dislike/Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down’

I’m using YouTube Music service

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @CooleRnax.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue, let me help and try to figure this out.

Verify that you have a supported music service as your default service in your Google Assistant app.

You can find this within your Google Assistant app by tapping on your,

Account icon on the upper right > select the Services tab > and tap Music

Please check this article that is designed to help you get the best results when using the Google Assistant on Sonos.

Follow the simple guidelines, and if you find that you’re still having issues, follow the troubleshooting steps provided as well.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Liking songs using voice commands doesn’t seem to work with Google Assistant on Sonos, even though it works just fine on Google Home/Nest speakers.

Google Play Music has been shut down by Google only recently and users are being asked to transition to YouTube Music.

You say you’re using YouTube Music but say “Hey Google, Google Play Music.”

Have you tried saying “Hey Google, play YouTube Music” instead and have you tried the command on both the Arc and Google Home/Nest speakers to see if Google Assistant on the Sonos Arc responds differently?

Edit: Note that YouTube Music integration on Google Home/Nest is pretty bad at the moment. But I have found that requesting music from GA on Sonos in general sucks compared to asking GA on a Home/Nest speaker.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @JamesDan.

Thanks for your immediate response.

Liking songs using voice command is not currently supported, please check this article about the commands that you can use with your Google Assistant to Sonos.

The Google Assistant can play music from services like YouTube Music, Google Play Music, and more. 

In order to use your selected music service with your Google Assistant on Sonos, you must also add it to your Sonos app. 

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a diagnostic report so I can check the system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @JamesDan.

Thanks for your immediate response.

Liking songs using voice command is not currently supported, please check this article about the commands that you can use with your Google Assistant to Sonos.

The Google Assistant can play music from services like YouTube Music, Google Play Music, and more. 

In order to use your selected music service with your Google Assistant on Sonos, you must also add it to your Sonos app. 

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a diagnostic report so I can check the system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Hi @Annazel S

Thanks for the reply and making clear that liking music isn’t supported by Google Assistant on Sonos at the moment.

I really do hope this gets added soon along with the ability of shuffling music which really would enhance the listening experience.

Otherwise my system seems to be working as expected, including the Google Assistant.

As expected meaning that the Assistant is slow to respond and many features that the GA supports on Google’s own and other third party speakers aren’t available such as the aforementioned liking and shuffling of music which is pretty poor considering Sonos’s speakers are meant for music.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @JamesDan.

Thanks for your response and we highly appreciate your feedback.

You can do many of the things with the Google Assistant on Sonos, but we aim for the best experience we can deliver on Sonos vs. trying to do everything a first-party device can do.

We’re always adding to the experience, so the functionality and features can evolve over time with software, and with Sonos, you do get all of the benefits of the Sonos system. 

Rest assured that I will log this as a feature request and pass it along with the team.

Please let us know if you have additional concerns. We’d be glad to send them up for you.

Dear Annazel,

I use youtube music in google assistant and it was added in sonos too.
Default music speaker is set to sonos
Default tv is set to nvidia shield
Issue still persists, I say 'play music' - it plays unknown music
Diagnostic number is 1298988924

I wish I was able to disable all built in sonos music features and use it as a regular google speaker, because google speakers are awesome, but they are lacking good sound quality.

It is also annoying that sonos adds tv switch into google assistant app, which I can't delete, now I have real tv and tv switch from sonos.

Best Regards,
Konstantin

The command I use: ”Ok, Google” - ”Play Music”

Command is not related to Google Play Music

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @CooleRnax.

Thanks for reaching out and for your detailed post, let me help and try to figure this out.

I appreciate your effort in submitting the diagnostic report (1298988924), but I was not able to pull it up and giving me an error that it was not found.

Won’t you mind sending another one preferably after 3 minutes when the issue occurs, I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

I also recommend checking this article to help you get the best results when using the Google Assistant on Sonos. 

• We recommend that your smart devices should have unique names. Check to make sure that your Sonos room name is not the same as other smart devices in your household, such as a smart light bulb or thermostat. 

• Please ensure that your Google Assistant account isn’t in use on another Sonos system

• You may try to remove and re-add your Google Assistant from Sonos

Asked assistant to play music, again it started playing song I have never heard

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @CooleRnax.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, there seem to have different devices blasting WiFi signals that have the same WiFi name.

We appreciate the time and effort you've spent troubleshooting with us, but at this point, it would be best to reach out to Sonos Supportso we can take a closer look at this in real-time to expedite the process.

I suggest our phone team for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the computer/controller to see what's going on.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know, we’re always here to help.

Badge

I having the same. I used to be able to say “Hey Google, play music” with GPM and it would start playing music I liked, but now with Youtube Music it always just plays one song that I don't know (which did not even have the word “music” in the title when I checked). The same voice command seems to work fine with Spotify set as music service in Google Assistant, so it seems a Youtube Music issue with the implementation of that command.

Not sure who is supposed to fix it (Sonos or Google) but it is impacting the music listening experience on Sonos so would appreciate is Sonos at least would do some pushing to the Google side if needed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MichelW.

Thanks for reaching out and for letting us know about what’s happening, let me check it for you.

I suggest that it’s best if you can give us a calland work with a technician live, they'll start with checking your system health and go from there. They have resources available for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the controller to see what's going on.

When calling, you can help us by also having a Mac or Windows computer available so we have the option to perform any hands-on troubleshooting and testing as needed.

​If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know, we’d be glad to help.