New Google Assistant SiriusXM integration not supported?

• 7 November 2019
  • 85 replies

Userlevel 1

Google just released native support for SiriusXM via the Home app.  It is listed as a “radio” service.  I can use voice commands to start and stop stations just fine on the actual google home products (Hub, mini’s etc), however when I attempt to target my Sonos system for playback I am told by Google Assistant that the device is not supported.  For example, I say to my Home Hub “Sonos Kitchen play Phish Radio on SiriusXM”.  Google Assistant recognizes the command as valid with something like “OK playing Phish Radio on SiriusXM on Kitchen” ; immediately followed by “Sorry kitchen is not supported at this time”.  Is this a bug or functionality that is not yet built?  Please note that I am logged into the same SiriusXM account on both my Sonos system and the Google Home system.

85 replies

Earth to Sonos do you have any comment on why your products don’t yet support this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @macs, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information with you. SiriusXM is not yet supported by Google Assistant in the Sonos app. We don't have any information to share with you at the moment regarding this feature. However, you can start playback on SiriusXM using Alexa. We'd like also to recommend bringing this concern to SiriusXM and Google. If you have any further questions, please be sure to let us know.

I spent 90 minutes today with Sonos tech support to resolve this same problem. I will say that at one point, i could command Google to play Sirius XM on my Sonos system. What surprised was that the tech on the phone, did not know that there is an issue with this feature, until he couldn't correct it until 90 minutes into the call. I believe that this may have something to do with Sonos direct plan to offer Sirius without a separate account. I have had XM radio since 2007. And I believe that this problem is a policy issue, not a technical one. Prior, Sirius was considered s music service, however, now it is listed as a radio service. Disgruntled...

Here we are years later and this basic command still doesn’t work. Not sure to 😆 or 😭. 

Very sad.

Hi there - 2 years later and still looking for an update on this. Still no ability to get Google Assistant to work with SXM on my Beam (Gen 2). 

Amazing that it's been years and this still hasn't been implemented.  I got rid of all my Alexa products and switched to Google, so lost this functionality. Sadly it seems it's about time to start phasing out my Sonos products now.  At least the speakers scattered around the house.  Probably keep my TV setup for now.  Sad that Sonos is more focused on holding a user base hostage rather than providing functionality to attract them.  The Sonos app is clunky and the barrage of advertisements is annoying.

Amazing that it's been years and this still hasn't been implemented.  I got rid of all my Alexa products and switched to Google, so lost this functionality. Sadly it seems it's about time to start phasing out my Sonos products now.  At least the speakers scattered around the house.  Probably keep my TV setup for now.  Sad that Sonos is more focused on holding a user base hostage rather than providing functionality to attract them.  The Sonos app is clunky and the barrage of advertisements is annoying.

Sonos has nothing to do with this functionality, it is wholly on Google, and they aren't playing nice with Sonos right now.

Hi folks,

Currently SiriusXM isn’t one of the music services you can use Google Assistant on Sonos with for voice control. You can take a look at this page for the supported services. 

While I can’t comment on possible future releases, I’ll be happy to add the voices here to a feature request to add SiriusXM voice support to Google Assistant on Sonos. 

Jeff, please add my voice as well.  Can you tell us if this is at least in the works or planned?

We have Google Home speakers everywhere and use SirusXM all the time.  We just updated our house with Sonos sound bars on every TV and two Sonos amps driving in-ceiling speakers on our patio.  Beyond disappointed that I can’t ask Google to “play Road Trip Radio on patio”

Badge

The answer here is that Google hates their users just slightly more than Sonos does.