Google voice - sorry i can’t find what you asked for.

I have a few recurring issues with google voice and my Sonos ones. Either when I ask to play a radio station the response is OK playing xxx radio station. Sorry I can’t find what you asked for. 

Or sometimes when I ask to play artist name I get Sorry I can’t do that here but you can ask me to play it on one of your other devices. 

And sometimes this commands work… wondering if Alexa might be more helpful?

We use Google WiFi and have a WiFi point in the neighbouring room to one of the Sonos ones and I wondered if this might cause something funky to happen as I don’t think this was a problem until I upgraded the WiFi points and now have one which is voice enabled. Can anyone help? Please!

68 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Chease, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming. Regarding your concern about the Google Assistant on Sonos. I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

This has nothing to do with your WiFi 

it is a long standing issue - just read these forums 

sending the diagnostic will not do much except make you think SONOS are working on an obscure issue when it has been reported many times on these forums for months now and can be replicated with ease. 

Hi @Chease, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming. Regarding your concern about the Google Assistant on Sonos. I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. 

Thanks. Here is the number 527446089

This has nothing to do with your WiFi 

it is a long standing issue - just read these forums 

sending the diagnostic will not do much except make you think SONOS are working on an obscure issue when it has been reported many times on these forums for months now and can be replicated with ease. 

I did take a look - I can see a whole bunch of people have the problem. Some have resolved but none of the resolutions offered worked for me. Shame. Disappointed. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Chease, thanks for the update. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report. Upon checking on the diagnostic report. Google Assistant is active on your Sonos system. can’t see anything wrong on it. I’d like to ask some things to further check on this issue

• Have you tried to remove and re-add the Google Assistant on the Sonos App?
  • Did it ever work before? 
  • When did the issue start?
  • Have you also tried Alexa, If it will be the same issue?

Badge

Yep, just set new Sonos One up in bar area and keep getting this message. When I finally do get music going it only plays for a short time and stops. So very disappointing. I have Google devices in my house everywhere and rarely have any issues. Obviously a Sonos problem. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Tapey, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. Regarding your concern about the Google Assistant, We'll check this further about this issue. If you've done some necessary troubleshooting steps and the problem persists. I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps.  

I’m having the same issue. I use YoutubeMusic, and get the same behavior. What is the solution??

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

HI @Josuetas, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. Regarding your concern about the Google Assistant on Sonos. I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. or you may also try to remove and readd the Google Assistant and the Youtube Music on the Sonos App to refresh it.

HI @Josuetas, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. Regarding your concern about the Google Assistant on Sonos. I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. or you may also try to remove and readd the Google Assistant and the Youtube Music on the Sonos App to refresh it.

My confirmation number: 560809304

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Josuetas, thanks for the update and for sending a diagnostic report of your Sonos system. As I check the information. The Google Voice Assistant is added successfully without any issue that can be detected on your system. Have you also tried to remove and readd the Youtube Music account on the Sonos App and check if it will be the same? Also, try on another device controller where you can have the Sonos App and observe if it’s the same behaviour.

Let me know your thoughts with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Hi @Simon B I’m having the same issue. I’m very technical (former Googler, actually) and happy to help troubleshoot, as this is fairly frustrating.

Context

• I live in Australia and bought my Sonos gear in May 2019
  • I have a Sonos Beam set up with the Google Assistant and Youtube Music on a subscription
  • The Beam is set up as a Sonos home theatre system with a Sub and pair of Play:1s
  • The system is part of a speaker group in my house named “All Speakers”
  • The issue started… I’m not sure exactly when, but a few weeks or months ago. Before that, I was able to use Google Assistant voice commands to make Sonos play music effectively

The problem

1. I say: “Ok Google, play music” or “play my supermix” to my Sonos Beam

2. On the Beam, the Google Assistant says: “Sure, playing music from Youtube Music–Sorry, I can’t find what you asked for.”

Triangulation and workarounds

What works

• Playing music from the Sonos (S2) app
  • Asking for anything more specific than “play music” or “my supermix”, such as “play Coldplay”, “play my chillout playlist”, “play my discovery queue” etc.
  • Controlling already-playing music. i.e. saying “Ok Google, next track” to the Beam
  • Saying “Ok Google, play music” to any other other Google Assistant device (phones, Google Home speakers of various brands, etc.)
  • Saying “Ok Google, play music on the Chromecast”: YouTube Music starts playing on the Chromecast plugged into my TV, which routes the audio to the Sonos system via the HDMI ARC port as usual. But this turns the TV on with music videos, which I don’t want (I have a toddler)

What fails:

• Telling another device “Ok Google, play music on Sonos”: the Google Assistant thinks it worked, but my Sonos is silent and the music plays on the device I spoke to instead
  • Telling any device “Ok Google, play music on all speakers”: the music plays on all speakers except the Sonos system
  • Telling any device something more specific, like “play Coldplay on all speakers”: the music plays on all speakers except the Sonos system

Troubleshooting attempted

• Removed and re-added Google Assistant to the Beam (system) via Sonos S2
  • Removed and re-added Youtube Music to the Beam (system) via Sonos S2
  • Turned off entire Sonos system
  • Sent feedback to Google and contacted them via Google One support. They confirmed this is a longstanding known Sonos issue and pointed me to this forum post, but signalled their engineers may be able to help if needed
  • Sent diagnostics. Confirmation number 1347484325

I would test other Assistants and other music providers, but I don’t use any, sorry.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hello there @Arcanitum, Thanks for reaching out, sorry for the late response, welcome to the community. thanks for the detailed information that you’ve provided and as well as the diagnostic report. Upon checking, It detected on your Google Assistant on Sonos that Playback is ducked on the player which means it lowers the volume of the music when talking to the Google assistant. But since you’ve made all necessary troubleshooting steps for this issue and it’s still not working properly. We’ll take it further and I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps. They’ll give additional steps on the option to resolve this issue. 

Keep us posted on how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hello, this is a recent issue that has just come up for me as well. I have had no problem with my Sonos ones, then added a move and I get the exact same issue as OP when asking Sonos through Google assistant. I have tried uncoupling and re-adding. I submitted diagnostics too: 2031686728. 

Very frustrating. Other radio stations will play, not certain ones. Any support would be great. 

Also, I switched this to Alexa and it works. I would like to stay in the Google ecosystem if I can though. 

Userlevel 2

I am having the same issue. It started about 2 weeks ago. Until now TuneIn/Sonos/Google assistant has worked without issue. I am getting the ‘sorry I can’t find what you asked for’ when asking for any radio station. Thanks so much.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Crazy_celt & @perrymasterflex, Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. Sorry to know that both of you have the same issue. Upon checking on the diagnostic report that you’ve sent @Crazy_celt It doesn’t show any issue on the Google Assistant, We’ll take it further, I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps. And @perrymasterflex, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the status of your Sonos system. 

Keep us posted on how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Same issue. When I ask google assistant on my Sonos One to play my NPR station, it says “playing kpbx fm on TuneIn,” followed by “Sorry, I can’t find what you it asked for.” Worked fine a week ago. Any thoughts on a fix?

So relieved to have found this thread! Yes, same problem for me, Google Assistant can play most things, just not radio stations - it’s always the “Sorry, I can’t find...” message

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @InlandNWuser & @aphasian, thanks for reaching out. Sorry to know that you guys have the same issue with your Google Assistant on Sonos. We’ll check and investigate this further, for the meantime, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause or any information that may help us check what's causing the issue. 

Keep us posted on how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Confirmation number 449053079

I also started getting "sorry, I can't find what you asked for" when requesting that Google Assistant play music through the Sonos. it used to work, and nothing has changed on my end. The problem seems to be independent of music service, as it is an issue with both YouTube music and TuneIn radio.

Same issue here,  playing your playlist, sorry I can t find what you asked for….. started happening 2 weeks ago, tried all of the  fixes nothing works.  My google products are working fine.  

Diagnostic report 1058226421

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Same problem here. I can play pretty much anything through my Google devices and pretty much nothing through my Google-enabled Sonos devices.

Userlevel 2

Diagnostic confirmation: