Google telling me Spotify Premium isn't available

• 21 December 2022
  • 43 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have a Spotify Premium family plan and have multiple Spotify accounts linked to Sonos. I also have Google Assistant linked to each of those accounts and Voice Match set up. It all works fine except for my wife; every time she asks the Sonos speaker to play music, the speaker responds saying something like “got it, playing blah blah blah on Spotify” and then:

Sorry, it looks like Spotify Premium isn’t currently available. Please try again later.

This does NOT occur with Google speakers in the home. When she asks the Sonos speaker “who am I” it tells her her name just fine, so I know Voice Match is working. And I can ask it myself to play music without a problem.

I’ve tried:

• factory reset speaker
  • unlink and re-link Spotify from Sonos
  • unlink the Sonos speaker from Google and re-link it
  • remove Google and Sonos permissions from Spotify in the web UI and relinking everything
  • doing all of the above but with an Android device instead of iOS
  • checking to make sure there’s only one Google Home
  • checking to make sure there were no old speakers present

Nothing seems to work. I can play using Spotify Connect or by using the Sonos app, both with her account.

MusicMA 3 months ago

SOLVED (for me at least). 

CONTEXT: Same experience as most on the thread.  Spotify Premium (Family Plan) + Google Assistant + Sonos = “Spotify Premium is unavailable...” despite the Spotify/Google Assistant combo working fine on non-Sonos smart speakers.    

ASIDE: Sonos tech support offered no help.  After 90 minutes on the phone, i was referred to the dreaded “Level 2 support” who is supposed to get back to me...agent tried but clearly got desperate (‘try resetting your network to reconnect to the cloud’)

STEPS TO FIX: Key for me was resetting all integrations within the Google HOME app.  I stumbled across the following steps after hanging up with tech support and realizing that they were having me play around in the Google Assistant app but ignored the Google Home app. 

1. SONOS APP: Remove Google Assistant integration from all Sonos speakers
  2. GOOGLE HOME APP: Remove Sonos integration (Settings → Works with Google → Unlink Sonos)
  3. GOOGLE ASSISTANT APP: Unlinked Spotify (Account → Music)
  4. Close/force exit both Sonos & Google Home & Google Assistant
    1. Probably unnecessary, but my Google Apps sometimes don’t refresh immediately so I force close to make sure setting changes have taken hold
  5. GOOGLE HOME APP: Re-link Sonos (Settings → Works with Google → Link Sonos)
  6. GOOLGE ASSISTANT APP:
    1. Confirmed Sonos devices show up (Settings → Devices)
    2. Relinked Spotify (Settings → Music); linked a family member account, not the ‘main’ profile/account
  7. SONOS APP: Add Google Assistant individually for each speaker

Setup has been working ever since.  Based on everything I did with the tech, the key appears to be resetting the integration in the Google Home app, as the tech ignored the Google Home app while we were troubleshooting.

Hope this helps; given other things in my home, i was ready to return the Sonos, I was so frustrated.  

View original

43 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @repress-capita-narcoses 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Voice Match is a Google Assistant feature and doesn’t really have much to do with Sonos - I can only recommend getting in touch with Google directly.

At a guess, I would say make sure that your wife’s Google account has the correct Spotify account associated with it, in her Google settings. This issue is unlikely to be related to any Sonos settings - though please make sure that the Spotify account she is configured to use in GA has also been added to Sonos.

Please desist in factory-resetting Sonos - it will not be of use.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I Maybe it’s not a Sonos settings issue, but it certainly seems to be a Sonos issue of some sort. Voice Match is working, and this all works as expected on Google speakers, so I know Spotify is linked to her account directly. I’ve also disconnected and reconnected her Spotify several times with Sonos. The only problem is with Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @repress-capita-narcoses 

It may well be an issue that only appears on Sonos devices, but we literally have no internal documentation on the feature, and this is the only mention of it I can find on our website (Control Sonos with the Google Assistant):

• If you have multiple people using the Google Assistant on Sonos, you can set up Voice Match to provide user-specific responses and content based on who is speaking.

Note the contained link is to a Google support page - perhaps this will be of help.

There’s nothing I can look up to tell you - I wish I could help more. There are some other threads on the subject which may be of use to you, but they are mostly relating to setup, rather than usage or troubleshooting.

Something I think might be worth trying is to remove your wife’s Spotify account from both Sonos and Google Assistant/Home, and then reconnect the account back to both.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry P.

Consider this another mention of this specific Spotify problem. My wife is having the exact same problem that is detailed above. 

I'm having this issue also. I haven't tried as much as the author; however, I have unlinked Sonos with Google Home several times but not having much luck. I'm hoping someone could help!

Same issue but nothing to do with voice match as we don't use it. 

Userlevel 1

Also having this problem!

Happening to me too - get this error for everyone in the house even though we are all voice matched 

Userlevel 1

SOLVED? I had a different premium account linked to sonos and Google assistant 

My partner and I use a spare family premium account for sonos. I had my personal sonos linked on Google assistant and shared account linked on the sonos app

Changed them both to shared account and it works!

Ditto for this problem. I had set this up successfully for my wife and I - voice match on mapping to individual Spotify account flowing into that account set up in in Sonos. Recently I tried to add my son's accounts the same way - their own Google accounts with voice match mapping to their own Spotify accounts and added those accounts to Sonos. 

Things still work for me and my wife but my kids get the dreaded "Spotify premium is not available"

I launch usually from a Nest Hub screen, which already has the crippled UI. Lack of casting to speaker even though apple ecosystem users have it. Now with this problem I am really starting to questing using Sonos at all. Direct Google to Spotify works so well. 

I know the two companies are at each other's throat but Sonos really needs to look hard at the value of better integration with Google.

This doesn’t ever work when initiating spotify from my Sonos Beam. Would be great if Sonos solved the issue and didn’t point back to Google. My Google devices all play Spotify without issue. I’ve relinked the same account to all of my Google Assistant enabled devices and Sonos is the only one that doesn’t work

There is a freely available API that streaming companies can use to incorporate their product into the SONOS controller. SPOTIFY has chosen not to make full use of this API, instead forcing users to launch the SPOTIFY App for most functions. I’m aware of another manufacturer’s product that simply pops up a screen directing users to use the Spotify App. The product’s interaction with SPOTIFY is limited to the basic transport tools (back, stop, play, pause, forward).

One reason why SONOS offers many dozens of music services, compared to other products offering a small handful, is because of this API. It would not be economically feasible for SONOS to individually code for and support each service. If a service wants to be available on SONOS, they just need to have their use of the API implementation tested and approved. This can’t be too difficult because many of these services are small and could not support a large development staff. I know a fellow who is thinking of offering a very small, esoteric music service on SONOS. It’s a one man programming shop. After I steered him to the API, his comment was: “Does not look terrible”.

@Corry P - please take this as yet another example of getting the dreaded “spotify premium is not available”. This is clearly a Sonos issue. I have done all the steps you and others have suggested before with no improvement. 

And another +1

I had this problem as well. What I have discovered is that when using Google Assistant, no matter what your Google Home settings are, Sonos will only play from the Spotify account that is linked to Sonos.

Originally I had my Spotify account set up in Sonos. When I asked it to play, it would play fine. When my wife asked it to play, she’d get this error.

Without changing anything else, I removed my Spotify account from Sonos and set hers up. Now it works the other way around. Spotify will play for her, but I get the “premium is not available” error.

It works this way even if I try to start Spotify on one of my Sonos speakers from a Google Speaker or the Google Assistant app (e.g. “Hey Google, play [music] on Living Room Sonos”). I am able to use my account through the Spotify app’s “devices” icon, though. It just won’t work with Google Assistant.

We were having the same problem as well.

WHAT FIXED IT 

My wife had the original subscription to Spotify Premium and we upgraded to Premium Duo. However, every time I tried to link my account in either Sonos or Google Home, it would link, but the voice assistant would not. 

We switched it, so her Spotify account is linked in both Google and Sonos and it works! 

I have the same issue. Google Home, Google Assistant and Sonos are all linked to the same Spotify account.

Same issue here. All accounts linked to same Spotify account. Very annoying

Same issue here. Tried everything possible

• unlink / relink (spotify, google home, sonos app)
  • uninstall / reinstall (spotify, google home, sonos app)
  • delete cache (spotify, google home, sonos app)

Still the message that Spotify Premium isn’t available. It work with all my other products from competitors. Please Sonos look at this problem !

Same problem. I have two Google accounts, both correctly voice matched and are detected properly by GA on the Sonos. Each of the Google accounts is also correctly linked to independent Spotify Premium accounts, yet when my partner asks GA to play something from Spotify the dreaded error message is spoken... This is 100% a Sonos problem as this functionality works perfectly well on Google Homes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since Google seems to make GA work differently on Sonos  compared to their own devices, this could still be a Google problem…..

Another to add to the list. 

Mine still failes even after matching the Spotify accounts up. I would say it's Google's fault. But you guys provide the integration to Google home, so really it's up to you too fix the issues. 

We have 3 users, the issues seems to be a mismatch between the voice user Spotify and Sonos. Even though all can be matched up.

And yes this only happens with Sonos speakers. We have Sony and Denon recievers that work correctly

SOLVED? I had a different premium account linked to sonos and Google assistant 

My partner and I use a spare family premium account for sonos. I had my personal sonos linked on Google assistant and shared account linked on the sonos app

Changed them both to shared account and it works!

Can you elaborate what you did to make this work? Thanks

Userlevel 1

I have nothing new to add except “me too!”.

We’ve had Google Assistant, Sonos and Spotify Premium working for over a year. Using Voice Match each family member have been able to use their own Spotify accounts through Google Assistant on the Sonos. 

Yesterday from nowhere Google Assistant on the Sonos wouldn’t give me any personal information and said no music provider was setup when I tried to play music. It appeared to be more of a Google Assistant issue than a Sonos or Spotify issue, but after jumping down the rabbit hole trying to get it to work again I ended up deleting all the links between Google Assistant, Sonos and Spotify thinking I could easily set it up again like I’ve done probably 10-15 times by now.

But with everything setup again I’m also getting the “Sorry, it looks like Spotify Premium isn’t currently available. Please try again later.” when I try to play something on Sonos from Spotify through Google Assistant.

I’ve tried to remove all accounts and Voice Match except my own account, so now there’s only a single account setup on both Google Assistant and in Sonos, but it still the same result. So even the most basic setup doesn’t work.

Userlevel 1

Hm, a quick update after my last post. It appears as if I actually am able to play from Spotify through Google Assistant if I repeat the request multiple times, but the playback is super patchy!

If I get the “Sorry, it looks like Spotify Premium isn’t currently available. Please try again later.” I’m able to get it to play if I repeat the request two, three or four times. When it eventually is able to access Spotify and start the playback it sometimes have issues with the first song in the playlist, it’s mute. I can see in the Sonos app that the playback is started and is progressing but no sound, then after 15-30 seconds it skips to the next song which is played with sound. 

I’ve also not been able to skip to the next song if I’ve initiated it from Google Assistant. When I ask Google Assistant to play the next track it respond with something similar to “That is not available on Sonos One”, and if try to skip to the next track using the Sonos app nothing happens. But if I pause the playback in the app and resumes it there, then I’m able to skip to the previous/next track again. 

Actually, during the 20 minutes I’ve spent on typing this follow-up post playback through Google Assistant have improved. 🤔 At first it didn’t work at all, then I was able get it to play if I repeated the request two or three times but the playback was patchy. Then after a couple of songs the playback started to improve, and now 20 minutes later I’m able to play from Spotify using Google Assistant on the first attempt every time and no issue going to the next or previous song either. 

Perhaps I had a temporary service issue somewhere in the chain between Sonos, Google and Spotify. I’m crossing my fingers that it continues to work.