Google Broadcast Problem

I am having an issue in sending a broadcast message from my Sonos One Gen2 and from my Sonos Beam. Whenever I try to send a broadcast from Sonos I receive the error “looks like there aren’t any other speakers connected on your home network so I can’t broadcast your message.” However if I send the instruction via the phone App or via Google Hub, the broadcast works just fine and sends it to all my speakers (delayed but works).

I have done the following:

• Google Assistant on all speakers
  • Default speaker selected for all speakers
  • Address set for all speakers
  • Latest software update for all speakers

I have also deleted all the voice assistants from the speakers, unlinked the Sonos account from Google. Rebooted everything and put it all back and still no luck.

So working fine on Google side to send and receive but on Sonos can only receive?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mikomo.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

I agree that the common fix for this error you’re getting is what you did above, and just to verify here are the steps for reference:

Settings>Room Settings>Voice Services>Assistant Settings and please be sure that the ‘default audio’ is selected for each room as well.

This support link from Google might help, https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/2049836?hl=en.

To help us identify the issue, please start by submitting a diagnostic report from your Sonos app while this occurs and post the confirmation number here so that I can take a look.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

I have a similar issue but if I just use “Broadcast <Message>” into my lounge, conservatory or bedroom Sonos One my message is broadcast to the other two Sonos Ones in the house. However if I use “Broadcast to <Speaker name><Message>” i get told there are no other speakers on the network.

I also have default audio set for all three speakers.

Any ideas?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Ovey72.

Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate your detailed post outlining your concern, as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

Kindly verify if there’s a selected appropriate Sonos speaker as default media output on the Sonos app?

Settings > Room Settings > (Select Room) > Voice Services GA > Google Assistant Settings > Default Media Output

Hopefully, that solves it but if not, please submit a diagnostic report, so I can see if there’s anything under the hood that’s causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Thanks for the reply. I  have the later Sonos app (the gold coloured one). The settings are slightly different but when I go to the equivalent place “Google assistant settings” takes me into the google assistant app. But the default music speaker for each is set correctly in there. 

I have the exact same problem, and it does seem like it started with S2 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Ovey72.

Thanks for your response and sorry for the delayed response.

I'd like to take a look at some data from your system. Please send in a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number after this issue happens. I'll check it out for you.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @hegaard.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about it, let me check it for you.

Kindly submit a diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge

Hi Annazel,

I have a slighty similar issue. But with an Arc and a couple of JBL Google Enable speakers (yes, I know… they will be switched in the near future ;-) ) Broadcast worked for a couple of weeks, but now I get the same message mentioned above “no other speakers”. Diagnostic report: 1011688034. 

Any hints to solve this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @evroekel.

Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue, let me help and try to figure this out.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, the system detected multiple errors and mainly indicates transport error.

Commonly, this issue can come as a result of wireless interference, or perhaps using an incompatible network configuration or hardware that does not meet our system requirements?

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report through the Sonos app and provide us the confirmation number, it can help us identify what is causing your issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge

All connected speakers (SONOS and JBL) are working fine. I can broadcast to all JBL speakers from a JBL speaker. The only thing that is no longer working (after it did work correct) is broadcasting to all speakers from SONOS and vice versa.

Wireless interference? Network incompatible? Hardware that doesn’t meet the requirements? Everything works fine except the broadcast. So surprising to read this (although it could be true) but without more info hard to solve. Also given the fact that a couple of weeks ago a diagnostic report didn’t show any issues.

One additional question.
I can play music on the arc, two one’s and the move simultaneously. The move is located in another room. So shouldn’t the Arc also be able to broadcast to the Move? Again... everything works fine except the broadcast.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @evroekel.

Thanks for your detailed response.

At this point, I would need to check your network set up and how Sonos is running on your system.

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network?

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

Kindly verify if there’s a selected appropriate Sonos speaker as default media output on the Sonos app?

Settings > Room Settings > (Select Room) > Voice Services GA > Google Assistant Settings > Default Media Output

Badge

Hi Annazel,

All my Sonos speakers are connected via Wifi to an Orbi/Netgear RBR50 router with a satellite and 1000 Mbit glasfiber internet connection. Sonos has 2 wireless connections with the router:

Based upon Serialnumber in Sonos app & MAC address in router:

• The Arc has a 2.4 Ghz connection with link rate 54 Mbps. The 2 One’s/Surround speakers are not listed in the router list of connections, but are working correctly.
  • The Move has a 5 Ghz connection with linkrate 130 Mbps

On the latest iPhone app Sonos app the path you shared “Settings > Room Settings > (Select Room) > Voice Services GA > Google Assistant Settings > Default Media Output” is not available. But in the Sonos app under Settings> Services & Voice > Google Assistant I see the Arc (with the 2 ones) listed: (“Woonkamer” is Dutch for “living room”). And in the Google home app the “Woonkamer” is also the default speaker. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @evroekel.

Thanks for your response.

If you are using a local WiFi network with more than one WiFi hub or access point, I would personally recommend that you try to switch your system to SonosNet by wiring just one standalone Sonos device to your primary WiFi hub or router, that begins the WiFi network. Then test it and see if the issue still occurs.

Wait for about 3 minutes, then submit a new diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation so I can check if there will be changes.

Hopefully, that helps but if not, it would be best to give our support technicians a call to have a closer look at this in real-time.

You can contact Sonos Support to discuss further the diagnostic result, I suggest phone support because they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, sharing your controller screen with the technician is one of their tools that can be useful in this case.

The toll-free contact number is 1-800-680-2345

Their hours of operations are Mon-Fri 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM EST

Let us know if you have additional questions or concerns, we are always here to help.

Badge

Apologies for the thread hijack, but I cannot broadcast from either my Beam or Sonos Ones - also,  the steps outlined above do not appear to be valid for the S2 app.

@Annazel S would you mind looking into this for me please - diagnostic number 139234319

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ronanc122.

Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate your effort in following the suggested steps above and submitting the diagnostic, it’ll be my pleasure to help so let me check it for you.

Upon reviewing the diagnostic, the system has detected that the Sonos network is experiencing poor wireless conditions.

These conditions could be caused by a lot of factors, most often by wireless interference.

This article will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products. 

I also noticed that the active voice service on your system is Google Assistant, but there’s Alexa skill enabled on some of the speakers.

I recommend removing and re-adding the voice assistant on Sonos might help.

• Using the Sonos app, navigate to Settings > Voice & Music Services > Alexa/Google Assistant, and remove the voice assistant from each Sonos product.
  • Once the VA is removed from Sonos, open the VA app, and remove any rooms or devices that are listed as Sonos products. NOTE: In the Alexa app, confirm that the Sonos skill is disabled.
  • Once all links between Sonos and the Voice Assistant have been removed, use the Sonos app to add the Voice Assistant back to the system. 
  • This article will guide you through setting up the Google Assistant on your voice-enabled Sonos product.

Hopefully, that solves it but if not, please submit a new diagnostic report, so I can see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Badge

Thanks for this @Annazel S 

I have followed all these steps but still cannot get broadcasting to work - diagnostic number is 640495203

Best, Ronan

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ronanc122.

Thanks for your response.

I reviewed the diagnostic report and it’s odd that the result is just the same after the steps above were followed.

At this point, it might be best to reach out to Sonos Support so they can take a closer look at this in real-time.

I suggest contacting phone support for they have more resources available for advanced troubleshooting like sharing your controller screen with the technician is one of their useful tools.

Let us know if you have additional questions or concerns, we are always here to help.

If you weren’t able to fix this issue, this might be a pain in the butt but you might have to go one step further to fix your issue.

1. Remove Google Assistant from Sonos
  2. Unlink Sonos from Google Home App
  3. Remove all Google Home products that use Google Assistant from your Google Home app
  4. Add your Google Home and Sonos products back to your Google Home

I just got done chatting with Sonos support and apparently my Google Home account was doing funky things by putting my Google Home products in one group and my Sonos products in another group hence why the Sonos speaker says “Looks like there aren’t any other speakers connected on your home network...” Google probably grouped them separately since I had the Google Home products for awhile before I got my Sonos One. Hopefully this works for you and brings you as much joy as it did me because my household uses the broadcast feature so much!

I was able to fix this problem but had to go into every speaker > Voice > Google Assistant > Remove the Google Assistant > and then set it up again. Working for me now.

Hi all, I’m having the same issue when i want to broadcast from to either sonos speaker from any google assistant expect the assistant on my phone.

I can say broadcast say my message and all the speakers including the sonos speaker broadcast the message. If I ask the google assistant to broadcast to any one of the other google mini’s or home hub then it broadcast to them directly. But if I ask my google home hub or mini or arc or beam to broadcast to either the sonos beam or arc I get the same thing “there doesn’t seem to be a device with that name” to say this is annoying is an understatement. The sonos support person who repeats the same comments about setting the default media device must by now realise that this doesn’t work, my setting don’t even offer that option. Can you please put in better support for this