Answered

Google Assistant Setup issues with Sonos One (Gen2)

• 23 December 2019
  • 75 replies

Hi,

I’ve seen slight variations to this issue on other threads but none that quite address it.

Problem

Google assistant was not working on the Sonos One speaker (the microphone was not active and not illuminated).

In an attempt to resolve this issue I unlinked the Sonos from Google and tried re-linking.

Now the situation is that when I go to re-activate the GA service within the Sonos App the following happens:

1.) I'm prompted to add GA to my Sonos

2.) On the "select rooms" page I select the Sonos

3.) I press "add to google assistant" button and I'm re-directed to GA app

4.) This then simply takes me to App Store to purchase/download GA (which I already have)!

5.) When I then go back to Sonos app it says "Linking Google account" and HANGS on this page indefinitely with a spinning wheel. 

6.) After a considerable length of time it times out and says "There was a problem adding google assistant". 

As a work-around for this I've tried adding/linking Sonos from the GA app itself. This is successful in adding the Sonos speaker (e.g. I can tell Google to play music from my phone to the identified/linked speaker and it works), however Google DOES NOT RECOGNISE THIS SPEAKER AS AN ASSISTANT DEVICE. 

Neither GH or GA identify the Sonos as an "Assistant Device". Previously I did have this working but it not longer works at all.

You can see the speaker itself is connected fine, however the ASSISTANT aspect of the speaker is not identified by Google.

Other things I've checked/fixed:

• Language was the same
  • Default music service same in GH/GA and Sonos (Spotify premium in this case, which I re-authorised)
  • Power cycled Sonos
  • Closed apps and restarted them
  • Removed the Home and created a new one again and linked devices fresh

Any ideas on resolving this would be much appreciated. I’m actually surprised more people haven’t experienced this!

icon

Best answer by alxndrdvl 25 December 2019, 22:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

75 replies

Badge

I tried what Ryan suggested, first removed google assistant and reinstalled. No luck. I then removed google home and reinstalled. I don’t get sent to the App store anymore. I actually do get to the point where it finds my device but after I hit “ALLLOW” I get the error “oops there was a problem”. I hit try again but this time it does not find my speaker. Argh. This is very frustrating. 

Just an FYI- I did try from my Android tablet, did not work either. I am going to try from an older iPad. Sonos App does not work on old iPhone :(

Those settings should all be cloud based, not in the app running on your phone. Deleting it from your phone shouldn’t cause any of those connections to be affected.

Tried deleting both apps and reinstalling.  Unplugged speaker and tried again.  Same issue.  Cannot get assistant added.  I don’t want to unlink Sonos as I am afraid I won’t be able to get those speakers (3 of them) I already successfully did before, linked back up again.

This has to be a Sonos software issue.   I link 1 and it worked a few weeks ago before an update.

Had a problem with 2 more with same iPad, but then tried my phone and they connected.

So now I have one more and can’t get it to connect with same phone I just used.  It is like a once and done thing per device.

Not sure what else to do.

Hi,

I’ve seen slight variations to this issue on other threads but none that quite address it.

Problem

Google assistant was not working on the Sonos One speaker (the microphone was not active and not illuminated).

In an attempt to resolve this issue I unlinked the Sonos from Google and tried re-linking.

Now the situation is that when I go to re-activate the GA service within the Sonos App the following happens:

1.) I'm prompted to add GA to my Sonos

2.) On the "select rooms" page I select the Sonos

3.) I press "add to google assistant" button and I'm re-directed to GA app

4.) This then simply takes me to App Store to purchase/download GA (which I already have)!

5.) When I then go back to Sonos app it says "Linking Google account" and HANGS on this page indefinitely with a spinning wheel. 

6.) After a considerable length of time it times out and says "There was a problem adding google assistant". 

As a work-around for this I've tried adding/linking Sonos from the GA app itself. This is successful in adding the Sonos speaker (e.g. I can tell Google to play music from my phone to the identified/linked speaker and it works), however Google DOES NOT RECOGNISE THIS SPEAKER AS AN ASSISTANT DEVICE. 

Neither GH or GA identify the Sonos as an "Assistant Device". Previously I did have this working but it not longer works at all.

You can see the speaker itself is connected fine, however the ASSISTANT aspect of the speaker is not identified by Google.

Other things I've checked/fixed:

• Language was the same
  • Default music service same in GH/GA and Sonos (Spotify premium in this case, which I re-authorised)
  • Power cycled Sonos
  • Closed apps and restarted them
  • Removed the Home and created a new one again and linked devices fresh

Any ideas on resolving this would be much appreciated. I’m actually surprised more people haven’t experienced this!

This worked for me! After a full day of frustration - my Beam worked with GA then suddenly did not and could not set it up - I finally have it back. 

thanks. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

The deleting the Google Assistant app worked for me. whew! I did that after trying again and again with the URL edit process...

Maybe this can help some of you.

I had a ton of problems that are now solved. I couldn’t get the mic to work, it turned out that Alexa had to be activated or/and likewise GA.

I had problem doing so, so the solution for me was:

Alexa:

Change country in my profile at Sonos.com to U.S, then Alexa worked and the mic started.

G.A:

Go through all my devices and make sure that they all have the same account logged in.

I found that on my iPad I was logged in to an old account, logged out and in to the same account as my iPhone. Then connecting the G.A. In Sonos app worked.

Same problems for me. I have several Sonos devices but only one Play One with in built mic. Not sure if the mic light is supposed to come on in response to the wake up “Hey Google”. I have reinstalled both Google Home & Google Assistant. Unlinked and linked devices to no avail. I can control the devices through the Google Assistant app on my device but not directly.

i have not tried the URL hack and may give that a go later but am more likely to return the speaker for one without the mic as this is more hassle than it is worth.

i am running on iOS 13.3 and all software versions are latest.

i don’t have Alexa elsewhere so don’t want to go down the road of installing another assistant just for a smart speaker.

Just going to add my 2 cents. I agree with the rest here, extremely frustrating first experience with sonos. I will be returning my Sonos one which I got for Christmas and will not be dealing with this company again. total crap.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Yes, I had that problem too when I attempted to remove and re-add my Sonos speakers to see if it would fix some of the ongoing issues with GA on Sonos. Not sure how I got around it myself, but I got past it eventually.

Just got this speaker and have had no luck getting this to work for the first time setup, latest iOS 13, latest Sonos app and Google Assistant app and it just hangs on a loading screen in the Sonos app no app store redirect no redirect to Google Assistant app nothing then it says it has run into a problem. Any ideas? The URL method cannot be used as I can't even get up to that stage.

Worked with Support to resolve issue for IOS 13.3.

Workaround:

• If installed, remove both Google Home and Google Assistant. 
  • Force restart iphone and proceed with workflow for adding Google Assistant. 

I was able to add Google Assistant after these steps. Seems the Google Home app was causing a conflict. 

I don’t get this URL work around🤷‍♂️ 

what xxxx letters on my end? And isn’t it All done via app and not via browser.

thanks for advice here. simpler still I found if I copied the safari address that it sends you to from the Sonos app and pasted that into iOS chrome bowser the set up then worked fine.

I was able to fix the issue on my end thanks to someone’s contribution on another thread.

When you try to add Google Assistant through the Sonos app, does it open the google assistant app or does it redirect you to the App Store instead? 

If it redirects you to the App Store, that’s where the problem is (that was the case for me).

This solved the issue for me :

Copy the URL from safari and edit it somewhere else.

If you have it like this:

https://assistant.app.goo.gl/?ibi=com.google.OPA&isi=YYYYYYYYY&ius=googleassistant&efr=1&link=https%3A%2F%2Fassistant.google.com%2Fdevice%2Fhelp%3Fprovider%3Dsonos-XXXXXXX%26unlink%3Dsonos-XXXXXX%26music%3Dtrue%26return_url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.sonos.com%2Fapp%2Fpartners%2Fgoogle%2Fservices%2Fvoice%2Fsetupcomplete

Change it to: 

googleassistant://device/help?provider=sonos-XXXXXXXX&unlink=sonos-XXXXXXXX&music=true&return_url=https://www.sonos.com/app/partners/google/services/voice/setupcomplete

Replace XXXXX with whatever the numbers/letters you have on your end.

Hi,

I’m facing the same problem as above, and will try to fix it as you are suggesting, but wondering: Where do I find which numbers/letters to use instead of XXXX?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I’m facing the same problem as above, and will try to fix it as you are suggesting, but wondering: Where do I find which numbers/letters to use instead of XXXX?

Thanks in advance!

thanks for advice here. simpler still I found if I copied the safari address that it sends you to from the Sonos app and pasted that into iOS chrome bowser the set up then worked fine.

OMG, this is the best answer out of the lot!!!  I tried the URL manipulation, failed and doesn’t work in GA.  I tried uninstalling GA and GA-Home, that just takes forever and didn’t fix the issue (got some weird Oauth redirect that hangs).  Finally, just copy the URL from Safari that the Sonos app forwards you to during the setup process (the one where it’s supposed to launch GA).  Paste that into another browser such as Chrome, and viola!  Works like a champ!  Now if I only didn’t waste 2 days on this...

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I just wanted to let everyone know that as of January 8th this issue should be fully resolved for iPhones, but we’re still working to get it fixed on iPad. 

For now if you have an iPad, we recommend using your phone while we continue to working on a resolution for this issue.

Badge

I just wanted to let everyone know that as of January 8th this issue should be fully resolved for iPhones, but we’re still working to get it fixed on iPad. 

For now if you have an iPad, we recommend using your phone while we continue to working on a resolution for this issue.

Hi Ryan, I am still having problem using my iPhone to add Google Assistant. I was able to add GA to one Sonos device.  When I tried to add to my second Sonos, the Sonos app directed me the GA app but after a while the GA app said “There may be a problem”.  When I returned to the Sonos app, it said “Try again”.

I have tried all the advices in this thread, uninstalling, reseting, blablabla, still the same. 

I then tried using my Android phone to do the setup, everything went through as a breeze!

Although I now have all my Sonos GA linked, iPhone Sonos and GA app still has a problem.  I will not try using the iPhone again until I have confirmation from this forum that it is really ok  

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

That’s for the details, I’ll pass your message along to the team and let you know if they require some more information. A diagnostic after there’s that problem would probably be really helpful.

I was able to FINALLY get GA to work by UNLINKING my Sonos devices from the GOOGLE HOME APP FIRST. 

then, go back to Sonos app, sign in and start the set up all over again. This worked for me and super easy!!

Hi. I can’t seem to unlink my Sonos from google assistant. Whenever I click + to add Sonos it says Sonos is linked but Sonos devices is nowhere to be seen. I don’t have this issue if I use other google emails. I only have this issue with this one particular email address. It’s so sudden used to work before. I checked everything about this email that doesn’t work such as location etc but it’s all looks alright. Anyone else having this issue ?

you will have to download the Google HOME app (not assistant) and unlink Sonos from there.  try that and then once you have unlinked the devices on Google HOME app, go back into the Sonos app and try setting them up again.  

Hi. Yes I’ve downloaded the google home app. And I have unlinked everything in my home from both google home which also shows the devices as unlinked in the assistant app. But for instance if I try to add Arlo on google home it will take me to the sign in setup page for arlo. But if I try to add Sonos it says it’s already link. 

I have attached some snapshots. It says ‘Sonos is linked ‘ and ‘account linked successfully ‘ but in actual Fact my Sonos devices are nowhere to be seen. It feels like it wasn’t unlinked properly and I can’t seem to be able to unlink it now 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you open the Sonos App>Settings>Services>Google Assistant and see if you can Enable your device?

It’s a disappointing experience. Installing, removing, restarting, rebooting whatever … everything results in “There may be a problem” with a Google help button that leads to nowhere.

At the usual business hours of Sonos support I need to work or I am traveling, so I need to find the solution on the web. But so far, nothing works. I’m quite desperate. The instructions are very easy, but it isn’t. Even perseverance doesn’t work. A troubleshooting page would be welcome, because the happy flow doesn’t work for me and apparently it doesn’t for several others as well.

is it better to install the Alexa app on my iPhone? How can I retrieve the number that I can paste into the link specified in this thread ?

I believe by now I have the entire Google suite installed on my iPhone, whereas I had expected to be pre-installed in the Sonos device itself. 
Please help me !