Google Assistant responding but not doing anything

• 26 April 2023
  • 41 replies

Hi,

My Google Assistant has suddenly stopped playing any requested tracks/radio stations. When the command is given the assistant responds in a positive way stating the correct track, station or playlist, but then nothing plays.

I have disconnected the Assistant and reconnected but nothing.

The Roam is playing tracks from the S2 app with no issues 

106rallye 11 months ago

Could it be the problem described here?

Google Voice Assistant - Playback Failure - Full playback failure

Identified - We've identified a problem with Google Assistant, voice requests to control Sonos and play music will likely fail, please use the Sonos app. 
Apr 24, 2023 - 14:30 UTC”

https://status.sonos.com

View original

41 replies

Userlevel 1

I have the same issue. Sonos own voice service works. Could not downgrade the Roam to older version then 15.3

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Could it be the problem described here?

Google Voice Assistant - Playback Failure - Full playback failure

Identified - We've identified a problem with Google Assistant, voice requests to control Sonos and play music will likely fail, please use the Sonos app. 
Apr 24, 2023 - 14:30 UTC”

https://status.sonos.com

It's been a recurrent issue, as sometimes I need to ask twice before the music plays

Alexa works fine. Tried it this morning.

Is Sonos Down?

Day 3

Sonos status is a major outage

Google Voice Assistant - Playback Failure - Full playback..

No, Sonos is not down. However, it appears that the server that Google has dedicated to the Google Voice Assistant process for Sonos is experiencing difficulties. 

This has been going on for 3 days now.

Is anyone working on a fix for this?

This is really sad.

Bonjour je pense que Google insistant c'est bientôt bien fini pour Sonos .

Userlevel 1

I think Sonos is an unreliable partner for customers. First they let the customer down with all the old S1 equipment. Now they have made an upgrade of the software with the cause that the Google Assistent no longer works. This means that my functionality is down to the Roam without microphone!  ( Can I get a cashback?)

I think Sonos wants to urge us to use the Sonos assistent (but will it ever be available in Dutch?)

Other possibility is that Google hates Sonos and wants only to support Google speakers, which is another reason for us all, to no longer buy Sonos speakers.

Please offer me a good price for 1 roam and 2 Ikea speakers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There has been no upgrade to disable GA. There is an outage on GA at the moment though, see https://status.sonos.com, maybe that is what you’re experiencing? I have not read this was caused by an update on the Sonos side of things. Asking for a refund after three days of seeing an admitted fault is a bit much, too.

Reding in this fault a set up by Sonos to move you to SVC seems a bit paranoid to me.

I share your sentiment that Sonos’ move away from Google Assistant on the Era speakers is a bad decision, especially for people who do not speak one of the “Big Five” languages. Like Dutch, also my native language, since neither Alexa, nor SVC is available in Dutch, if that is what you mean. I understand though that you can still command the Era’s with a Nest Mini.

I think you’re wrong about the S1/S2 split. The (ultimate, it must be said) decision to keep supporting S1 systems, affecting people with systems more than fifteen years old, was to be applauded. The choice to split to an S2 version seemed technically unavoidable.

You could give in to Google by buying a couple of Nest Mini’s, though admittedly that would be no solution for the Roam. Not need to sell the IKEA’s.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am experiencing the same thing.  I have 2 MOVE speakers.  GA responds but does not play a song/Artist etc.  However, if I start play on Spotify, GA will pause/skip etc.  Does anyone know if SONOS is actively working on this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since the problem is identified but there’s still no solution (follow the link posted above), I’d assume someone either at Sonos or Google os working on this. But you can never be sure of course…..

Is this GA vs Sonos isdue solved yet?

Userlevel 1

Same question

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Keep checking https://status.sonos.com/

Our Sonos One has stopped playing the requested station from Tunein. On switching on it flashes orange for a few seconds then nothing. Google assistant states playing the station but silence.  Is this an on going issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Our Sonos One has stopped playing the requested station from Tunein. On switching on it flashes orange for a few seconds then nothing. Google assistant states playing the station but silence.  Is this an on going issue?

Have you bothered to read where it says “check the status” above and in other threads? If not, please do so and then update us all. 

Nothing constructive in the reply...ego issue?

Anyway Dave57 we all facing the same problem waiting for updates if any.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Nothing constructive in the reply...ego issue?

Anyway Dave57 we all facing the same problem waiting for updates if any.

Not ego, no. Just frustration that someone apparently adds a post without bothering to read the earlier contributions - including the reply deemed to be the “answer”. 
As you say, we’re awaiting an update and need to keep checking the service status, as already stated above. 

Userlevel 1

Does anybody have a timeline for a fix on this? Their automatic status just shows the outage. I am using Sonos to run both music and google smart devices and their own voice app doesn’t have the functionality, so switching is a no go..

Userlevel 1

Rather concerning that they “have identified a problem with Google Assistant.” Yet, what missing is the, we are working on a solution.  Not convinced they are working on it.  

Userlevel 1

Keep checking https://status.sonos.com/

Nothing changed since april 24 …...

Userlevel 1

Just had a chat with their support team and this was their answer:

”As you already know, there is indeed an outage going on with the Google Assistant, but not sure when this will get fixed. This has been on-going for 1 week, so I personally expect an update to be coming soon, but I have no ETA to share when it will get fixed.”

So at least they are working on it.

Userlevel 1

This was the reply that I received from Sonos.

“ Hello Bxxxxxxxx,

My name is Matt and I am reaching out to you with the Sonos customer escalations team. Your e-mail in regard to Google Assistant service was forwarded to me by our CEO, Patrick Spence.

Sonos has identified that there is a technical issue between Sonos and Google Voice Assistant service. We are actively investigating the issue with our partners at Google in order to implement a fix. As of this time, we do not have an ETA.

If there are further questions that I can help with, please respond to this e-mail.

All the best.

Matt S.
Sonos | Supervisor | Contact Us

same problem. at least give us an honest answer!