Answered

Google Assistant not showing devices in Sonos App

• 5 December 2019
  • 15 replies

Badge

When I go through the steps of adding Google Assistant in the Sonos App it says:

“Your Google Assistant is ready to use with Sonos

Include the room name when you ask the Google Assistant to play music.”

Except it’s not showing me any of my Sonos speakers. 

So what’s going on here?
When I go into the Google Assistant app itself it shows every one of my devices.  
Also when I go back into the Sonos App under services it does not Show Google Assistant it simply shows Add a Service as though I never connected the two.

I’ve tried telling the Google Assistant to play things in the kitchen for example and I get the response, “Sorry, the requested media content isn’t available for your Google Play Music subscription tier.”

or I will tell it to play Lithium on SiriusXM in the kitchen and get the response “ Sorry, it looks like SiriusXM isn’t currently supported on the Kitchen.”

I have both Google Play Music and SiriusXM accounts paired to my Sonos and they work just fine via the Sonos app. 

Google Assistant does not work with Sonos on my Galaxy Note 10+, iPad, or any other device. 
Sorry for the long question but wanted to give as much detail as possible. 

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 17 December 2019, 14:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Badge

Today’s new message fails:
From Google Assistant:
“Sorry, I couldn’t reach Sonos.”

and

“Sorry, it looks like Sonos is unavailable right now.”

I’ve tried deleting the speakers from Google Home, readding them, uninstalling both GA and Sonos, deleting all services and readding and searching this forum.  

Also, regardless of what room/speaker I tell it to play back on, I get the errors.  Most likely because in setup I see no rooms/speakers when adding Google Assistant to Sonos? 

Same issue for me. It was working last night and now this morning Google Assistant cannot ser the Sonos system. I unlinked the account and when I attempted to link them again using the Sonos SSO service, it appears that google assistant just can’t connect.

Sonos - it looks like some sort of change overnight has caused this issue.

Same problem here.

In the Sonos App (ios iphone xs) I click Settings > Services and add Voice Service. Click Google assistant.

The assistant app is opened and after some time, it's ready. I click on Ready in the Sonos app, but nothing changed, no Voice Service added. Seems really bad there is no feedback at all. Drives you nuts.

Badge

Another thing I just noticed is that if I go into the Google Home App and look in Accounts, Sonos does not show up and there’s no way to add it? It’s also not found in connected apps?

Badge

Well, I can now get Alexa to play SiriusXM on my Sonos, but clearly she can’t play any Google Playlists.  And I only installed Alexa to see if it would work.  

Ultimately, this is clearly a Google/Sonos issue.  I hate that we have Sonos in nearly every room and can’t get the most out of it. 

Oh and this morning I also tried creating a new Google Account for the express purpose of using it for Sonos and I still got the same errors when trying to play Google Playlists or SiriusXM. 

Not sure what’s left to do?

Well, I can now get Alexa to play SiriusXM on my Sonos, but clearly she can’t play any Google Playlists.  And I only installed Alexa to see if it would work.  

Ultimately, this is clearly a Google/Sonos issue.  I hate that we have Sonos in nearly every room and can’t get the most out of it. 

Oh and this morning I also tried creating a new Google Account for the express purpose of using it for Sonos and I still got the same errors when trying to play Google Playlists or SiriusXM. 

Not sure what’s left to do?

What (& how many) 'voice assistant' Sonos speakers do you have? ...and what is your default music subscription service that you have installed in both your Google Home and Sonos App? Do you have just the one Google Home and have you ensured that your default country location is the same in both your Sonos online profile and your Google Location settings?

Badge

Thanks for the response Ken,

None of my Sonos have the voice assistant built in, they’re all from the generation before that. I didn’t think that was required? If it is, then I’m going to feel pretty silly. lol

Default Music subscription is Google Play Music.

And just double checked and both are set correctly to U.S.

Badge

And a new strange occurence, if I use the Sonos App and play something from my Google Play Music playlists or from SiriusXM, Google can pause it or even skip to the next track, but that’s it.  If I tell it to play SiriusXM Lithium it still says, “Sorry, it looks like SiriusXM isn’t currently supported on the Library (or whatever room I try).”

And a new strange occurence, if I use the Sonos App and play something from my Google Play Music playlists or from SiriusXM, Google can pause it or even skip to the next track, but that’s it.  If I tell it to play SiriusXM Lithium it still says, “Sorry, it looks like SiriusXM isn’t currently supported on the Library (or whatever room I try).”

Yes the voice services will still provide the option to skip, pause, mute etc. The Sonos Skill/Device is what provides the playback commands. I’m not sure if this works without a Sonos speaker that has voice services, but I think it might. Perhaps someone else here can confirm or refute that matter.

I would perhaps try this … 

Remove the Sonos device in the google home or assistant App. Give it a few moments and ensure that all your Sonos speakers disappear from the Home. (Ensure you only have the one Google Home). 

Next close (slide off screen) and re-open your Apps to refresh them. 

Then having checked your speakers were removed, reinstall the Sonos Skill/Device and ensure each speaker is placed in a chosen room in your Home… the speakers will default to their own rooms but you can move them if necessary.

Also note for this to work the Google Play Music Service must be a ‘paid subscription’ service … free services do not work.

When you have reinstalled the speakers, check that your Google Play Music is set as the default music service and ensure it’s login credentials are the same as your GPM service in the Sonos App.

When playing you also must include the Sonos Room Name in your voice instruction to the Google Asistant. 

Hope that assists to get you up and running with Google.

Badge

Also note for this to work the Google Play Music Service must be a ‘paid subscription’ service … free services do not work.

Hope that assists to get you up and running with Google.

Well that could be my problem getting Google to play my playlists from google music, since my account is a free one. I thought I’d read it works with free accounts too.  Damn.

Still not sure why SiriusXM won’t work as I do have a paid account there. 

And I’ve deleted the speakers from google home/assistant multiple times and heck even unplugged and readded them into Sonos all with no luck.  

I broke down and emailed a service ticket with the diagnostics from the app as well. 

n0s4atu,

I am certain the music service has to be a 'paid subscription' for GA to work on Sonos. I’m fairly sure it does not include SiriusXM but perhaps check that matter, just to be sure.

The Sonos Support page says this…

The Google Assistant can play music from services like YouTube Music, Google Play Music, and more.

To see available music services, open the Assistant app for iOS or Android, tap your profile icon to get to your account page, and then tap Services> Music. Available services are listed under More Music Services. Music service availability will vary by region.

You can ask your Google Assistant to play music from iHeartRadio, TIDAL, and TuneIn Radio if those services are already added to your Sonos system, but they can’t be directly added to your Google Assistant app.

Apple Music is not currently supported for use with the Google Assistant on Sonos.

Badge

Ken,

Many thanks, a free subscription to Google Play Music does not cut it when trying to use voice commands. As soon as I enabled my free trial, Google Playlists play perfectly.

I'm still not sure why SiriusXM won't play using Google Assistant.

So, for anyone reading this if you want to use Google Play Music via voice commands, you have to pay Google for the privilege. 

Well, half my issues are solved so that's a start!

Badge

Ken, definitely solved at least part of the problem, so for anyone searching here’s the answer to both in one short reply:

1. To get Sonos and Google Play Music to function using Google Assistant you MUST have a paid subscription to Google Play Music. ​​​​​​​
  2. In the Sonos App even after connecting Google Assistant it will not show up as added in Services, Voice, unlike Music and Content which shows Google Play Music and SiriusXM after you add your accounts for example.  
  3. Currently as of this writing SiriusXM does not work with Google Assistant via Sonos. Even if you add it into Google Home under Radio and Sonos under Music and Content.  It will however work with Alexa (I’m all in on GA so that doesn’t help me).  Hopefully, this will be addressed soon.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

n0s4atu,

Just to add for any of the voice assistants to appear in the Sonos App under “Settings/Services/Voice”, as mentioned in your 2nd point above, the user will need a voice enabled Sonos speaker, like a Sonos One or Beam… it’s there to show what Sonos products have a particular voice assistant installed and the assistant can be added/removed from the Sonos devices in that section. Obviously it therefore does not show anything in your case as you currently don’t have those type of devices in your setup.

Hope that assists a little further.

I found it. You have to uninstall sonos from the assistant.

1. Open google assistant, tap the compass at the bottom left corner.

2. Search “sonos”

3. Tap “sonos”

4. Tap the button next to the sonos logo on top. This will unistall sonos.

5. Reinstall on that screen.

6. All your sonos speakers will reappear.