Answered

Google Assistant failes to find registered speakers

• 25 March 2021
  • 6 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

I’m unable to add Google Assistant to speakers. The S2 application initiates the process where it opens the modal in Google Assistant (iOS) where i login to my Sonos account. When doing this i’m by Sonos (in the embedded browser) prompted that there arn’t any registered speakers (they are all registered). I’ve pressed the “I’ve fixed the issue” button, but this doesn’t work, it just refreshes the page and state that there arn’t any registered speakers. I’ve managed to get the process further where the integration is visible in Google Assistant and Google Home, but it wasn’t visible or setup in the Sonos application. Ending up with that i deleted the connection, to restart the process.

It seems to be related to a server issue on Sonos end.

Things i’ve tried:
Reset all speakers
Reinstall application
Reset router
Reset password
Reset Wifi on speakers
Created new Google account
Moved to new email-account (sonos)
Forward all traffic directly to Sonos Beam (if it might have been a Firewall issue)  

Users that have had the same issue have resolved the issue by trying multiple times and with luck managing to get a reply from the server. 

icon

Best answer by DNL 26 March 2021, 06:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @DNL, thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Sonos Community!

Would you mind confirming how your network is set up? What make/model of router are you using, and are there any secondary routers, mesh systems, or wireless extenders in use?

These kind of linking issues can sometimes happen where there are two routers chained together, which creates Double NAT - is this similar to how your own network is configured?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @DNL, thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Sonos Community!

Would you mind confirming how your network is set up? What make/model of router are you using, and are there any secondary routers, mesh systems, or wireless extenders in use?

These kind of linking issues can sometimes happen where there are two routers chained together, which creates Double NAT - is this similar to how your own network is configured?

This does indeed seem to be a server-side issue, as other users, including me, had the same problem recently. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @JamesDan, understood.

I’ve just tested adding Google Assistant to a speaker on my own system using an Android 10 controller, which went straight through. Do any of the points raised in my earlier post apply to your own network? If not, I wonder if there is another common factor between these cases, such as the iOS/Android version installed on the controller, or the router in use?

While there can of course be problems on the server side, this seems to only be affecting a small number of people right now, much less than I would expect if there were an outage. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @JamesDan, understood.

I’ve just tested adding Google Assistant to a speaker on my own system using an Android 10 controller, which went straight through. Do any of the points raised in my earlier post apply to your own network? If not, I wonder if there is another common factor between these cases, such as the iOS/Android version installed on the controller, or the router in use.

While there can of course be problems on the server side, this seems to only be affecting a small number of people right now, much less than I would expect if there were an outage. 

Hello there! I’ve had the same mesh system in use with my speakers for almost two years now and never had any problems connecting to them, I don’t believe that’s the issue somehow. There haven’t been any updates to my router recently either.

When I was having the problem, all speakers were available in the Sonos app on iOS and I was able to play music to them without problems. I also confirmed that the speakers were registered to my account by looking at the section on the Sonos website.

I only started having problems when trying to link Google Assistant to Sonos using the app.

You’re definitely right about the problem not being widespread, in such a case there’d probably be far more people reporting on this issue.

So far everything seems to be working fine on my end, so let’s hope it starts working for everyone else and that the problem gets resolved soon (if it hasn’t been already).

Thanks for your quick response!

Hello @Xander P @JamesDan  

I eventually managed to get this to work. Don’t know if it was the egg or the hen. 
I’m on Telia Open Fiber. They are actively blocking some traffic on both UDP and TCP ports. I eventually bought a new ASUS AC86U router where i added an openVPN connection to a server in Amsterdam, then i changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Rebooted all speakers and reinstalled all applications again (done so about 10 times).

Now everything workes as it should. My guess is that Sonos changed ports or how the traffic is routed between the server and the user. When doing so Telia (my ISP) blocks the traffic. They have blocked the following ports, but there can me more traffic that is being blocked since it’s not that Open as the ISP name can imply.

TCP 135-139, 445, 25, 53. Port 67 UDP and 8080 UDP are blocked for incoming traffic. Further more they are blocking the following ports when using the provided router by Telia 23, 123, 514, 1900, 5660, 51005.

Further more it’s not possible to change DNS-server when using Telia equipment. This is due to the heavily moded firmware.

After i got everything working with Google Assistans i simply disconnected the VPN, and all still works as it should. Leading me to the conclusion that it’s server-side related possible due to changes in how the traffic is sent between servers and speakers. Maybe on Sonos side or ISP is blocking traffic or a combination of both. 

If it would help anyone i could send diagnostics when on the VPN and without. I will not try the process again since i don’t know if it was a “accident” getting this to work or if the above actually was the solution. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Glad to hear you’ve got it sorted @DNL, and I agree - no need to go through the process again now that you’ve got Google Assistant set up and working.

Thank you for sharing the steps you took though, these could be very helpful for others having the same issue with adding voice services, especially if they’re running a similar setup :)