Answered

Google assistant and Sonos Arc - connection problem

• 29 October 2020
  • 22 replies

I can’t set google assistant voice service.

I have tried different wifi, different ethernet provider, connecting via ethernet cable, rebooting, reinstalling app. I always get and connection problem error.

How can I fix this?

icon

Best answer by Mark P 29 October 2020, 18:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @CooleRnax.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community. I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Have you tried doing factory data reset? 

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number after doing the factory data reset and still unable to add?

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi there,

I’m having the same issue with a Sonos Move I have just installed to my existing system.

I have done an app reset and I have tried to connect my Google Assistant both on my Android device as well as my iPad. Both give the same error message that is indicated above.

Thanks,

Steve

Same here on my brand new Sonos Beam, I'm unable to add the Google Assistant because of the same error.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Are you able to use your google assistance command on your android phone (not in the Sonos app)?

Is your Google assistance is working with other devices in the house?

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

The Google Assistant app is working on my phone (outside the Sonos app). I also have a Nest Mini which is working fine.

I got a slightly different error than the one above though (I don't have the Try again/Not now buttons). See the image below (in dutch). Already tried to reboot my router without luck.

Maybe worth to mention: trying to connect to Alexa (I don't have that app) is throwing the same error.

Hi @

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Are you able to use your google assistance command on your android phone (not in the Sonos app)?

Is your Google assistance is working with other devices in the house?

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi Mark,

Yes, I have other Google Home devices in my home that all work. 
Google Assistant works on my Android phone and the Sonos system in my home also fully works (and is connected to the internet).
The error only occurs when I try to setup the Google Assistant on my Sonos Move device.

Thanks,

Steve

Waking up the next morning and the issue is fixed (I didn't change anything)! I have successfully added Google Assistant now.

So I no longer get the same error message but now when the Google Assistant app tries to find any new devices, it cannot find the Sonos Move… I get stuck there…

I have tried unlinking and reconnecting Sonos to the Google Assistant/Google Home application.

I have also tried connecting it via iOS and Android.

Both give the same experience.

Any suggestions?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Ponzie.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?

Make sure Google assistance was already been added to the Sonos application.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi Mark,

Thanks.

I’ve submitted it. The confirmation number is 680117315.

Thanks,

Steve

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Ponzie.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back again to Sonos Community.

I’ve reviewed the diagnostic report you have and it doesn't show the Google Assistance feature was added to the Sonos application.

Can you check this link Set up a Google Assistant device to control Sonos to make sure your Google assistance is added properly to the Sonos app.

Hi there!

I have a very similar issue--my Sonos System (Arc, Sub+Move) is linked to Google Assistant and everything worked perfectly fine so far. Today I had to restart all devices as they were not found in the Sonos App. Google Assistant works for my Sonos Move but the Arc has no Google Assistant linked any longer and is also not found when I try to locate it both over the Google Home and Sonos App.

Thanks for your help!

As I did not change anything and it stopped working I guess this is related to the latest Software Update?!

Btw I have also sent a diagnostic report with ID 257824096. Maybe you can see what went wrong.

Thanks!

Just adding to this thread. Has anybody actually been able to correct this? I just removed Google Assistant from my Sonos setup to troubleshoot another issue, but when trying to add it back I get "Connection Problem." it happens when choosing both Google Assistant or Alexa. I have a Sonos system downstairs in my living room as well as upstairs and the bonus room, and now Google Assistant is not working on either of them. I changed nothing. Diagnostic 248768818

Still the same issue for me :/ @JScottTuck I created a new topic: https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/google-assistant-does-not-work-any-longer-6851455?postid=16492445#post16492445

Had lot of problem witth this, I cleared my data and cash for Google home and sonos, then opened Google home and linked sonons again. This finally sovled my problem! 

Prior to this I had changed this settings. After clearing the data an cash this solved my problem.

Inställningar för ASUS:

På vänster sida klicka på Wireless

General/ Band 2.4GHz:

-Trådlöst läge -> Legacy
-Kanal bandbredd -> 20 MHz
-Authentication Method -> WPA2-Personal
-WPA Encryption-> AES
Tryck verkställ

Wireless / Wireless MAC Filter
-Enable MAC Filter-No 

Wireless/ Professional:

-Roaming assistant  --> Inaktivera
-Enable IGMP Snooping --> Aktivera
-Airtime Fairness  --> Inaktivera  på 2.4GHz och 5GHz
-Universal Beamforming/ Universal strålformning --> Inaktivera på 2.4GHz och 5GHz
Tryck verkställ

På vänster sida klicka på LAN och efter IPTV
-->Enable Multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) - Aktivera
-->Efficient Multicast Forwarding (IGMP Snooping)- Aktivera
Tryck verkställ

Starta om alla högtalare efter att dessa inställningar har gjorts/kollats för bästa resultat.

Mod Edit: Added English translation

ASUS settings:

On the left side click on Wireless

General / Band 2.4GHz:

-Wireless Mode -> Legacy
-Channel bandwidth -> 20 MHz
-WPA Encryption-> AES
Press apply

-Enable MAC Filter-No

Wireless / Professional:

-Roaming assistant -> Disable
-Enable IGMP Snooping -> Enable
-Airtime Fairness -> Disable at 2.4GHz and 5GHz
-Universal Beamforming / Universal Beamforming -> Disable at 2.4GHz and 5GHz
Press apply

On the left side click on LAN and after IPTV
-> Enable Multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) - Enable
-> Efficient Multicast Forwarding (IGMP Snooping) - Enable
Press apply

Restart all speakers after these settings have been made / checked for best results.

After a couple of tries I found a way to solve the problem with installing Google Assistant on two different ARC where I was unable to install it before.

1. Unlink Sonos in The Google home app.
  2. Clear cash and data for the Google home and the Sonos app.
  3. Relink Sonos within the Google home app.
  4. Start the Sonos app and select add Google Assistant.

This worked for me on two different ARCs.

I did these changes on my Asus router before I was able to figure out the fix, so I don’t know if its required or not.

ASUS settings:

On the left side click on Wireless

General / Band 2.4GHz:

-Wireless Mode -> Legacy
-Channel bandwidth -> 20 MHz
-WPA Encryption-> AES
Press apply

-Enable MAC Filter-No

Wireless / Professional:

-Roaming assistant -> Disable
-Enable IGMP Snooping -> Enable
-Airtime Fairness -> Disable at 2.4GHz and 5GHz
-Universal Beamforming / Universal Beamforming -> Disable at 2.4GHz and 5GHz
Press apply

On the left side click on LAN and after IPTV
-> Enable Multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) - Enable
-> Efficient Multicast Forwarding (IGMP Snooping) - Enable
Press apply

Restart all speakers after these settings have been made / checked for best results.

Good luck! :)

Badge

Issues connecting the google assistant to my Sonos Arc here in Switzerland. I can’t set google assistant voice service. I also have a Sonos One (gen 2) and have no problems connecting this to google assistant

I have tried to do this with wifi, and connecting via ethernet cable, rebooting, reinstalling app. I always get and connection problem error. I also unlinked google home to my Sonos and re-linked it.

How can I fix this?

My Diagnostic number is 622270224

Error message:

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @rr75741, thanks for sending that diagnostic over. You mentioned that you’d performed some reboots, what devices did you reboot?

Would it be possible to reboot, in this order; your router, the Arc, and then your phone? Once everything is back online, if you try again do you get the same result?

If you also open the Google Home app, and go to Profile > Assistant Settings > Assistant Devices, is there any record of the Arc showing up there? If so, it may be worth removing it, and then trying to add Google Assistant to the Arc once more.

Another good idea is included in the post directly above yours, i.e. clearing the cache for both Google Home and Sonos apps before trying to add Google Assistant to the Arc.

Let us know how you get on :)

Badge

Thanks for your reply. I am currently using a Samsung S7 android phone device. Will try your recommendation later this evening and let you know how this works out. Fingers crossed

Badge

Thanks Xander P (sonos staff). Since the home internet was being used in the house all day, I managed to fix the issue by just opening my Assistant Settings and unlinking my Sonos in the Assistant Devices and then re-connecting it. There was no need to reboot:sunglasses: