Answered

Google Assistant and Amazon Music Unlimited

• 9 September 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Will we be able to play music from Amazon Music Unlimited to our Sonos speakers using Google Assistant in the future? I realize an Echo device would be the obvious choice here, but I'm hoping to be able to do this with my Android phone.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 9 September 2019, 20:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

This won't happen until GA itself supports playback form Amazon. In other words, you'll be able to play Amazon from a Google Mini first. This is what happened when Amazon started supporting Apple music. It came echos, then it came to Sonos. Being that Amazon and Google don't always want to play nice, I don't see this happening any time soon.

However, you mentioned your android phone. You can speak to Alexa on your phone to play to a Sonos speaker already, with either the Amazon music or Alexa app.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Ah, fair point. I didn't realize that GA didn't support Amazon Music at all. I could see it coming though - their relationship is getting better. YouTube is back on the Fire TV devices and Amazon is selling Google hardware again. So maybe it's in the queue.

I suppose I could use the Alexa or Amazon Music Apps, but I'd prefer a hands-free solution. I'll just keep waiting. Thanks for the idea though.

Surprisingly, it does work on the Sonos! For example, you can say “Hey Google, play x on Amazon Music” and it will play correctly. However you have to say Amazon Music as you can’t set Amazon Music as your default music provider in the GA app.  If you just say “Hey Google, play x” or “play music” it will say you haven’t set a default music provider, or it will play via Spotify or whatever you have set up in the GA app  

If you try to play via Amazon Music on Google speakers, like the Nest mini, it will just say “sorry, voice actions aren’t available for that app” which is annoying but not surprising.