Google Assistant ambient sleep sound playing from all speakers?

• 25 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

So we regularly use Google assistant ambient sleep sound when going to bed. Everything works fine over all, but the only thing bumming us out is that the ambient sound is only playing from the Arc, is it possible to make it play it from all speakers?

I’m guessing it only plays the sleep sound from the Arc like Google assistant voice does? Is it possible to allow Google assistant voice to play trough all speakers as well?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The Google assistant will only play from the Arc itself, but perhaps try changing the music audio-out setting from ‘Ambient’ to ‘Full’ in the Sonos App “Settings/System/[Arc Room Name]” to see if that may work for the sleep sounds - I’m not sure if it will work, but perhaps worth a try.

Badge +2

try changing the music audio-out setting from ‘Ambient’ to ‘Full’

We have it on full already, but no dice.

It’s like all Google assistant related output is all directed to the Arc and the Arc alone.

Do you have a Google Home Mini device - if so, I have another suggestion you could perhaps try, but again not sure if it will work.

Badge +2

Do you have a Google Home Mini device

No

Ah no worries - this would have been my suggestion, just for your info anyway…

Open up the Google Home (not Assistant) App ...and select the Home Mini device icon from the main ‘Rooms’ display and then select its settings (cog) icon situated at top right of the volume adjustment page - scroll down to ‘Set Default Speaker’ and see if you can set it to your Arc Room… then save the settings and make your "sleep sound” request to the Home Mini device.

Again not sure if that will work, but maybe worth a try.

Just one last further thought, have you tried “Hey Google, play Ambient Sleep Sound on [Arc Room Name]” - if I do that here, it plays a Spotify playlist of ambient sleep sounds on all the Arc speakers, but I guess that’s because I subscribe to Spotify.

Other than that, I’m sorry I couldn’t assist. 👍

Badge +2

it plays a Spotify playlist of ambient sleep sounds on all the Arc speakers

Yeah, that works perfectly and uses all the speakers as it should.

We just enjoy the convenience of having google assistant doing all the things we want it to do when calling it a day, and with that - play ambient sleep noises with a timer. I don't think that works with Spotify though, It will play forever if I don’t uncheck the repeat option. But then I have to check the repeat box again when listening to music, which we do most of the time.

The easiest solution in my mind would be if we could have the option to choose “ambient” or full for Google assistant and all related outputs such as speech, notifications, alarms, timers, news ecc.

Much like the music audio-out setting you spoke of before.

Other than that, I’m sorry I couldn’t assist. 👍

Don’t be, I’m just glad someone answered my question. :)