Question

First Gen Play:5 and Google Nest Mini

• 22 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi - wonder if someone can give me a pointer.

I’ve got 4 sonos units working on the new S2 system, all hooked up to Alexa and working fine.

I thought I might be able to use my old Play:5 which is on a standalone S1 controller with a Google Nest Mini.  Whilst I’ve enabled Google Assistant on it Google Home doesn’t see it (all the others show up).  Searching for devices doesn’t help.

Am I just trying to do something that isn’t possible?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @SRF

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Allow me to share some information with you.

You can set up a Google Assistant-enabled device, like a Google Home to control Sonos. Once set up, you can use the Google Assistant to play music to Sonos, skip songs, pause playback, adjust the volume, and more. Please be sure that your Google Home is in the same network as your Sonos Play 5 for this to work.

Let me guide you on how you can add Google Assistant to Sonos.

1. Make sure your Sonos app is up to date and your Sonos system is running the latest software version.
  2. Open the Google Assistant app on your mobile device and sign in to your Google account.
  3. In the Sonos app for iOS or Android, tap the Settings tab. Select Services > Voice > Add a Service under Voice, then choose Google Assistant
  4. The Google Assistant app will prompt you to sign in to your Sonos account. Sign in to your Sonos account
  5. Add music services and choose a default
    • To play music to Sonos using the Google Assistant, you’ll need to add the same music service account to both the Google Assistant and Sonos.
    • In the Google Assistant app, check which music services you’ve added by tapping your profile icon at the top right, then choosing Services > Music. You can also set your default service from this menu.
    • To add a music service to your Sonos system, see our article How to add a music service to Sonos.
  6. Use the Google Assistant with your Sonos speaker
    • After the Google Assistant has been set up, you’ll be given some sample commands to test with Sonos to make sure it’s working properly.
    • You can also select a default speaker so content always plays in a specific room without saying the room name in the command.
    • To learn more about using the Google Assistant and Sonos together, see our article Control Sonos with the Google Assistant.   

If Google Home still can’t see your Play 5 as an available device, I recommend contacting our phone support with your full network setup including the make and model of each device, and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.