Controlling the Google Assistant audio (not speaker)

Userlevel 2
Hello,

I've actived the Google Assistant on my Sonos one which is working great so far. However the audio que and the answers Google gives are way louders than the current volume (5%) should allow for. It's next to my bed and esp. at night this is quite annoying. Is there any way to control this? Also maybe it's an idea to introduce the feature that Google Home speakers have for some time now, the ability to set a max volume at night hours.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Even more ideal would be to have the ability to set a separate volume for the assistant that stayed constant during the day despite the music volume being increased and also observed quiet hours.
Badge +7
This is the question I was going to ask, as it's the only hiccup I've noticed thus far with GA integration. The responses were extremely loud compared to the music playing prior to the voice request I gave it.

One other quick side-note since I don't see it posted... will there be an option to disable the audible beep tone each time you ask GA a voice command?

Well done, Sonos. Surely there will be initial bumps in the road but it's great to have this functionality.
Badge
If you go to settings in the Sonos app and then to room settings, pick a room, then tap google assistant under be voice services, you've got wake word chime right at the top.
Badge +7
If you go to settings in the Sonos app and then to room settings, pick a room, then tap google assistant under be voice services, you've got wake word chime right at the top.

Thanks, any update on adjusting the minimum volume of GA responses?
Badge
I would like the GA volume to remain constant and not adjust when I turn the volume up or Duan with the Beam volume.

When I turn the Beam volume down at night,I can barely hear the GA.

Any thoughts?
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
I would like the GA volume to remain constant and not adjust when I turn the volume up or Duan with the Beam volume.

When I turn the Beam volume down at night,I can barely hear the GA.

Any thoughts?

Not possible right now and that's on Google not Sonos.
Many GH users (myself included) have been wanting this ever since the device was released.
Badge
Has anyone actually been using Alexa/Google Assistant integration that Sonos offers? Not being able to individually adjust the sound volume for Currently playing and the Voice service make the integration utterly useless. Unable to use in the evening/night because I will literally wake up my girlfriend.

@Ravica3 -- sigh, really? So unless Google adds support (not happening) my One's are Play:1's with Airplay 2 support. Great.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@Ravica3 -- sigh, really? So unless Google adds support (not happening) my One's are Play:1's with Airplay 2 support. Great.

Correct... Unfortunately.
It's one of those things that's just a no brainier but for some reason Google has never fixed or updated. I do not know much about other Voice Assistants but I had Alexa (which I REALLY did not like) on my Sonos Beam for a short period of time but it seemed to behave the same way also. I have absolutely no experience with Siri but not surprise if the same holds true.

I've tried both GA and Alexa on my Sonos Ones and can confirm that they both act the same way. There is no independent volume control of the voice assistants and at times this can mean ridiculously loud shouting assistants instead of calm helpful ones.

This really does need addressing, presumably by Sonos, by adding a separate audio channel for the voice assistants to use.

Userlevel 1

Please fix this, it’s frustrating as hell and makes me want to return my newly bought Sonos soundbar.

I'm running into this issue as well.  I'm considering setting up my old google home speakers purely to be the mics for the sonos speakers (which sort of defeats the purpose of the integration)

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I'm running into this issue as well.  I'm considering setting up my old google home speakers purely to be the mics for the sonos speakers (which sort of defeats the purpose of the integration)

I’ve thought of this too, as this would fix the issue of the Assistant not responding. The thing is, there’s no audio ducking, meaning the volume on the Sonos speaker doesn’t duck when you’re speaking to the separate Google Home device, which results in you having to either turn the volume down manually each time you want to speak or shout at the speaker.

And then there still isn’t the option for shuffling music, proper radio support, a separate alarm volume, the list goes on.