Question

Control android TV with Google Assistant via Sonos Beam

• 9 September 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi
I have a Beam hooked up to a Sony android TV and am using Google Assistant throughout the house (2 Ones in other rooms). I can turn the TV on and off, as well as changing the volume, but cannot get anything more advanced controls to work, such as playing Netflix via voice control through Google Assistant. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so how do you need to set it up?

I have another (non-smart) TV with a Chromecast, which you can control via Google Assistant so had hoped Android TV would be the same as Chromecast.

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi James B

No jokes intended but consider yourself fortunate. 🤗 Having the Beam respond via HDMI_ARC (CEC) to turn your TV on/off and change volume is tremendous.

This subject has been broached many times in this forum. The problem with CEC communication is that every TV manufacturer implements it differently. There is no standard or oversite board to insure adherence to a set of global standards. Think Wi-Fi Alliance Certification for example.

I could go on and on about this subject and HDMI_ARC (CEC) communications with the Beam. After a while it's just regurgitation of the same information.

However, you can try pulling the power from your TV to reset the HDMI_ARC (CEC) communications. Caution: Doing so has three possible results: Improvement, No change, change for the worse. Good luck!

Cheers!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the response AjTrek1. I knew CEC can be temperamental, but you suggest that it might be possible to get it working so I'll try resetting the power and see what effect that has.

Caution heeded (although hopefully if it does I will be able to get back to where I currently am somehow!).

Hello. I have a similar problem. I have a Sonos beam connected on a Sony Bravia Xbr900 with HDMI-arc. I renamed my Sonos control tv with"TV". I set up my google assistant and it works fine, except for turning the tv ON. I can get it to turn it off and adjust volume. When I go into my Home app, I can see that "Tv" is always on... When I click on it, it turns off, but then turns on a couple seconds after. So I am never able to turn my Tv on with the google assistant.