Chose the speaker for Google Assistant in surround system

• 11 October 2019
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 1
I have a surround system with an Amp, two cabled front speakers and two Sonos One surround speakers.

As default Sonos chooses the left Sonos One (surround) as the speaker used for interaction with Google Assistant.

It would be more convenient for me to use the RIGHT Sonos One surround speaker for this.

How can I change this setting?

26 replies

I’m in the same situation.

1 playbar and 2 Sonos Ones for surround sound. I'd love it if Google Assistant was on the right rather than left speaker.  Is it possible to switch?

I have the same problem and contacted the support. They told me it's technically not possible to switch Google Assistant to the other speaker. 

I think that's quite ridiculous. Everyone who has that problem please contact support so it hopefully gets fixed. 

Same here, google/sonos pls sort this out ASAP. 

i would like that feature 🤞💪💪💪

Same issue exactly the right Sonos One is more centered in my configuration so better for Google Assistant usage

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have read that if you take the next steps you can put GA on the right (no pun intended) speaker:

1) de-pair the rear speakers;

1. install GA only on the right speaker
  2. pair the speakers for surround.

Now GA should only work on the right speaker.

Same. And the previous answer only seems to work if you are using stereo, not surround. 

Userlevel 7

All

For those experiencing the issue with Google Assistant in a surround set up; I feel your frustration although I use Alexa. The best recommendation I can make is to invest in a Google Home Mini and place it in listening distance. Maybe Sonos will correct the software if Google licensing permits.

Cheers!

Same issue. I have a Beam and two Ones. The GA automatically assigns to the Beam. But I want it to be the left speaker (closest to my kitchen).  

Userlevel 7

Hi @jermcnama 

If you are using the One’s as surround speakers with the Beam the voice assistant is disabled in them. The beam is the only speaker that will use the GA.

Hi @jermcnama 

If you are using the One’s as surround speakers with the Beam the voice assistant is disabled in them. The beam is the only speaker that will use the GA.

Unreal.  If I knew the mics were going to be automatically disabled I would have bought two Sonos SLs instead of Ones.

There should be an option in the app to pick which speaker has the activated Google voice assistant. 

Face the same issue with Playbar + Ones, only left side is taking voice command.
This is not a user friendly design.
Hope Sonos will improve to allow user for GA assignment in near future. 

Adding my voice here. This is very annoying. My setup would work a lot better with the right speaker as the google assistant. 

Did this get sorted my ga works onky through right sonos one and want it to work from the left one. Can I just unplug the speakers and switch them around? Will that do it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, welcome to the Sonos Community, and thanks for reaching out. I also appreciate your assistance, @AjTrek1

I understand that we want to use the Google assistant smoothly with the Sonos speakers and I’ll be working with all of you now. 

First, I’d request that you submit a diagnostic report of your system to further check it on our end and help you with the next steps. 

Reply to us with the confirmation number. 

We and the community are always here to help.

Hi folks, welcome to the Sonos Community, and thanks for reaching out. I also appreciate your assistance, @AjTrek1

I understand that we want to use the Google assistant smoothly with the Sonos speakers and I’ll be working with all of you now. 

First, I’d request that you submit a diagnostic report of your system to further check it on our end and help you with the next steps. 

Reply to us with the confirmation number. 

We and the community are always here to help.

I have Beam, One and One sl. I want GA to be in One rather than in Beam. Support diagnostics confirmation number: 594431612

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @User319, welcome to the Sonos Community! Thanks for reaching here and submitting a diagnostic. I’d be happy to help you and let you know that if you have a Sonos Beam you won’t be able to activate the voice service to the Sonos One as the Beam already doing it. If you have a soundbar with no microphone that's the time you can use the surround like Sonos One for voice service. Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

I would also like to add a similar request to this thread. I’ve just purchased a One (Gen 2) and a One SL to operate as surround speakers paired with a Beam. I’d like to be able to select the One (Gen 2) as my default Google Assistant speaker rather than the Beam. It’s pretty disappointing to have purchased the One (Gen 2) and then find out that it can’t be used as a smart assistant due to this feature defaulting to the Beam only with no option to change this. I would have considered purchasing two One SL’s similar to another user in the thread otherwise.

Hi, I also have this problem.

I have 2 Sonos One Gen 2 as my back surround speaker.

I have sub Gen 1 and Playbar.

Why can’t I choose any of the Sonos One Gen 2 speakers to use Google assistent ??

They both have microphone.

Pretty weird…….. :rolling_eyes:

I have the similar issue with playbar + 2 sonos one.  The sonos one are actually the same hardware, it does not seem like a difficult fix for sonos to add an option to flip/swap the configurations between the 2 surround speakers for the user to choose which one acts as the voice assistance.  I would understand the issue if one of the surround speaker has a special chip that perform a specific task, but it's the same hardware lol.

I suspect issue is that the right is it’s still reserved Google’s predecessor,Alexa. So far what has worked for me goes from something as simple as switching the right speaker position for the left speaker position, physically. Or selecting the opposite speaker when you set up your surround system. Remember, you decide what speaker is wish, the set up just fallows your assignment. 
Just a bummer the switching me when you’re making calibrations. 

I have seen this suggestion too, but it mess up the effect of the surround sound when someone enters the door from the left or aircraft flying from right to left etc.  Sonos should just make a simple selection for us to pick which acts as the “primary” speaker. They are both identical hardware so it’s just a software flip. 

Badge

I have two Ones and the Assistant is on the right but I want it on the left. How come there is no option to select it? It would even be easier if you could tap on the mic to select which one you want! Currently I have the paired as a Stereo pair.

Any tips? Thanks

I have a beam Gen 2 and 2 Sonos Ones Gen 2 (with mic)

My GA is defaulted to the beam and my surround Ones' mics are disabled in suroround setting.

I want Google assistant to use the left mic cos it's closer to my work area and I don't want to yell across the room for myself to be heard .

Would love the option for all mics in my sonos system to be active so I can be beard where ever I am in the room.

Sonos please add this feature 

Question for Sonos. I have a Amp with two One for surround. As explained above, I am forced to use the Left One for Google Assistant. I would rather much prefer to use the Right due to my configuration.

would it work if I put a One SL on the left, and a One on the right ?

I would like to know prior to purchasing the One SL!