Answered

Can't stop music or radio using stop command (but can start radio)

• 22 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Great that Sonos/Google is working again, however now I can’t stop music or radio (TuneIn) playing using the “Stop” command. It used to work. The error message I get from Google Assistant is: Nothing is currently playing.

I don’t have any problem telling Google Assistant to play music or radio.

Has anyone else experienced this?

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 23 May 2023, 13:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @dennisbp, welcome to the Sonos Community!

With voice assistants, generally all commands work or no commands work, so it’s definitely strange that only stopping music doesn’t work. If you visit your Google Activity after asking Google Assistant to pause music playback, does the voice command show in there?

I would recommend unlinking Google Assistant from your account, then re-adding it. You can unlink Sonos from Google Assistant by opening Google Home and going to Settings » Works with Google » Sonos » Unlink Account, or by opening the Google Assistant app and selecting [User Icon] » Settings » Home Control » Sonos » Unlink Account.

If the above doesn’t resolve the issue, then start playback and give the command to stop music. After you receive the error from Google Assistant that no music is playing, I’d suggest submitting a diagnostics and reaching out to our support team for further assistance.

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What if you try “stop music”?

It works for me if I use the command “Stop all music”.

“Stop Music” or just “Stop” doesn’t work on it. However “Pause” now works instead. I’ve also used “Turn off music” which seems to work (sometimes as well.)

Seperate observation in a different room with a different setup:

If I say “Turn off music” to my Nest it will sometimes turn off the music on the standard speaker (Sonos Roam) sometimes it will ask me which speaker to turn off.

I have the same or perhaps a similar problem, namely that I can start music playing via Google assistant (on a nest hub max) but if I tell it to stop or pause, it says "Sure, stopping the music on [device]. Sorry, something went wrong. When you're ready give it another try.". While it is doing this, the music continues to play, and does not stop. This is the case regardless of which service is being used (eg Spotify or YouTube music). It works fine if I hit the stop button on the nest hub. I've tried rebooting the device, physically disconnecting and reconnecting it, reauthorizing Sonos on the music services (within Sonos app) and reconnecting Sonos and reauthorizing music connections within Google home device settings. Nothing fixes it.

What did Sonos Support say, when you called them with this issue on your system?

In my case with Arc: If you have Google assistant installed in Sonos app as voice assistant, this blocks you from using Google assistant to control the Sonos via any microphone/phone except for the Sonos microphone. My only solution was to remove voice assistant from my Sonos and use my other smart speakers/phone to send commands. All work flawlessly now, even better than the Sonos microphone did.