Answered

Can't run Alexa and Google Assistant at the same time?

• 15 May 2019
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
I was really excited to update my Sonos system with Google Assistant. I use both Alexa and Google Assistant for different tasks because they are good a different things. When I updated yesterday, I was really disappointed that I can't run both at the same time. Am I doing something wrong? Or do I indeed have to pick one or the other?
icon

Best answer by chicks 15 May 2019, 17:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

You can only run one at a time on a Sonos speaker. However, you can use GA from any Google device to control a Sonos speaker that's set up for Alexa.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I have two One’s. Can I configure 1 to respond to Alexa and the other to GA? Each will know which I’m talking to because of the wake word(s).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have two One’s. Can I configure 1 to respond to Alexa and the other to GA? Each will know which I’m talking to because of the wake word(s).

Yes, as long as they are not in a stereo pair.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I have them as "surrounds" linked with a playbase, but with "full range" selected for music playback. Does that count as a stereo pair, do you know?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have them as "surrounds" linked with a playbase, but with "full range" selected for music playback. Does that count as a stereo pair, do you know?
As they are within the same Sonos Room, you can only have one Voice Assistant. Your option is to get either an Echo Dot and Enable the Google AI or the other way around.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Thanks for clarifying that.
Badge +2
I have a question about this.
If I was running Alexa and wanted to switch to Google Home, how do I do this? Do I have to remove that skill and then reset the speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a question about this.
If I was running Alexa and wanted to switch to Google Home, how do I do this? Do I have to remove that skill and then reset the speakers.

Hi

Just open the Sonos App>Voice Services and select GA instead of Alexa for your device.