Can't broadcast to Sonos One with Google Assistant

Userlevel 1

Hey everyone,

I have a new Sonos One that works great aside from this issue I am having with Google Home/Assistant integration. 

When I try to broadcast a message to the Sonos One located in the bedroom (either through the Assistant app or via voice command to my Google Nest Mini, which is in a different room), I get an error that there is “nothing named X in your account”, or something to that effect, so the message is unable to be broadcast. This happens regardless of whether I try to broadcast to the room (“Main Bedroom”) or to the device itself (“Main Bedroom speaker”), confirming the exact name of the room and speaker, respectively. Other Assistant features seem to be working fine; for instance, I can make commands from the Sonos One using “Hey Google” and play music on the Sonos One with a voice command from the Nest Mini.

There are several old threads on this issue, all of which seem to point to this sequence in the Sonos app as a solution: Settings>Room Settings>(Select Room)>Voice Services GA>Google Assistant Settings>Default Media Output ---- Select the appropriate Sonos speaker.

However, these threads are so old that this sequence no longer exists in the Sonos app, so it’s not possible to try. I have tried unlinking Sonos and re-linking as well as disabling and re-enabling Google Assistant. In the Sonos app, I have also selected the Sonos One as the default speaker for music.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts from the group! Even simply confirming whether I should be able to broadcast audio messages to the Sonos One through Google Assistant would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

22 replies

I have the same issue. Bump

Same issue. One SL and One. I actually feel like it used to work, although perhaps intermittently. As of right now, it’s not working at all. I have a mix of Sonos speakers and Google Home Mini speakers. The Sonos speakers can all initiate a broadcast but never receive a broadcast. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same issue here. New Sonos customer and the experience with voice assistants has been pretty poor.

Same problem - Sonos can initiate a broadcast but does not receive

Same. So frustrating.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Same thing here, and it’s been like this for months!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is the issue only apparent when you want to broadcast to one speaker? I always broadcast to all speakers and that works.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Is the issue only apparent when you want to broadcast to one speaker? I always broadcast to all speakers and that works.

Yes, only when broadcasting to a specific speaker.

same problem. 

same here. painful, or, partial integration of my Sonos One’s with my Google speakers. everything was fine till I got my Sonos speakers. wife is frustrated. I must say; me too…

any of the Sonos people following this? I really expected better integration / experience from Sonos TBH.

Ditto

Same. Not just happening when to a specific speaker. Same issue when broadcasting to all speakers, but only the nest hubs would announce…

sad how they still haven’t fixed this after several months.

Same issue here

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So maybe this is not possible with GA on Sonos? @Corry P ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @krokk (& @106rallye)

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can only find the reference “Supports whole-home announcements” in regards to both Alexa and Google Assistant. This would imply that broadcasts/announcements to individual rooms is not supported.

If broadcasting/announcing to the entire system does not work, by all means please get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

Supported Google Assistant commands are listed here: https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/7539710. Any other commands may, or may not, work.

I have, however, marked this thread as a feature request.

I hope this helps.

So I take it this is still broken?

Same. Not just happening when to a specific speaker. Same issue when broadcasting to all speakers, but only the nest hubs would announce…

sad how they still haven’t fixed this after several months.

correct. The only devices broadcasting are branded Google devices. Sonos devices do not receive broadcasts regardless of whether the target is “everywhere” or a particular room. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

On my system I can say “Hey, Google (announce)” it asks me what to announc and I can message the whole system. Not sure if the phrase “announce” is the correct translation of my command in Dutch.

Still nonfunctional.  Previously worked with google mini linked to Play:1.  Does not work with Sonos One.  

As a side note, very disappointed feature was dropped in Era series. 

Agreed, very disappointing that Google changed the requirements so that Sonos couldn’t get Google Assistant authorized to run on the new Era speakers. Major mistake by Google. 

In the google assistant script editor you can find the commands which Sonos can understand/use. Unfortunately broadcast is not among them (yet).

actions:
      - type: assistant.command.Broadcast
        devices: Sonos Move - Dining Room

This will give an error

[assistant.command.Broadcast] is not supported.

giving you the commands you can use: For example, device.command.mute.

Only a few things are supported yet….

I’m having the same issue - broadcasting works to my Google home minis, but not to my Sonos one. Broadcasting from the Sonos sends a message to all Google home minis though.