Question

Any way to play my own music uploaded to Google library?

Badge +2
I'm not surprised that I can't play the music in my local (NAS) library with the new GA/Sonos integration. However, is it also not possible to play music that I've uploaded to my Google Music account? I can do this using the Sonos app.

If I try "Hey Google, play (artist) in the office" I get "OK (artist) from Google Play Music playing in the office. Sorry looks like the subscription tier for Google Music is not supported." I've also added "from my library" to the command and that doesn't help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 1
I am also looking to do this. This is easily done with a Google Home speaker so I am surprised that this isn’t working on my Sonos One.
Google Music via Google Assistant on Sonos requires a paid subscription. Sorry, guys, not a decision made by Sonos.
Badge +2
These "rules", whether set by Google or Sonos, seem so arbitrary. I can play music uploaded to my Google library from the Sonos app already. I can play that music by voice in my car with Android Auto (well, when it works right). But not allowed by voice with Sonos. I guess I don't get the logic, other than to try to persuade people to get a paid sub to Google Music. No thanks, guess I'll continue to rely heavily on the app.
Userlevel 1
I agree that these rules are a huge disappointment. Using Google Assistant to access my library on Google Play Music was the key feature I was looking for. It seems increasingly clear that the implementation of Google Assistant on Sonos falls far short of Google’s own speakers. Time to give Alexa a try.
Userlevel 1
I have the same issue (as I'm sure many many people do). I have downloaded my music to the free version of Google Play Music. However, the new Google Assistant on Sonos One will not play my music -- it requires a paid subscription. As I understand it, this feature works on other Google Assistant devices such as the Google Home. It also works via the Sonos app. Given that both Google Play Music and Google Assistant are developed by the same company, and given that it works on other devices, it does not seem to make much sense that Sonos cannot support playing my own music library stored on Google Play Music.

I would not be surprised if this is indeed the case -- that the limitation is imposed by Google. In fact, I seem to recall a few years ago, that the same issue on Google Play Music access came up with Google Home as well. But then, after numerous user complaints, it was "fixed".

If this is indeed the case, it would still seem that Sonos is still in the best position to potentially address the issue with the service provider, given their already established relationship with the firm (contacts already established in previous licensing and sharing discussions, etc.). Also, Sonos would have access to their user usage statistics and Google Play Music access issue statistics (gathered from Sonos usage data, this forum, and other sources), which would put them in the best position to best represent the user community in discussions with the provider.

Anyways, crossing fingers that our voices are heard...

In the meantime, I will probably switch back to Alexa (as the native support for Google's own music services was the primary reason I was looking to switch to Google Assistant)...
If this is indeed the case, it would still seem that Sonos is still in the best position to potentially address the issue with the service provider, given their already established relationship with the firm (contacts already established in previous licensing and sharing discussions, etc.). Also, Sonos would have access to their user usage statistics and Google Play Music access issue statistics (gathered from Sonos usage data, this forum, and other sources), which would put them in the best position to best represent the user community in discussions with the provider.

Since Google is well known for collecting data on it's users, I seriously doubt Sonos has better data than they do on who and how people are using Google services. However, Sonos may be able to tell Google that users listening hours haven't dropped, they've switched over to other services. Regardless, letting Google know directly than your unhappy is never a bad idea.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just sent feedback to Google on this issue. Easy to do, just click the hamburger in Google Play Music and click "Help and feedback". The more that do this, the better our chances of it getting fixed.... Oh, not really. But it'll make you feel better 😀
This is upsetting. I am in the process of setting up multiple brand new Play:1s, and was in the market to purchase several other products, after years of several Bose Soundtouch products throughout the home. The reason for the switch from Bose to Sonos was (supposed) full Google Assistant compatability. So I am now finding that I cannot play any of my personal, uploaded music from Google Music via Google Assistant unless I have a subscription... Is that accurate? I want to be sure, because my next step is returning everything and going back to Bose. At least Bose can play music from my NAS. If I'm going to be tethered to an app on my phone, I'll save the money.
Sonos has no control over the subscription requirements, they are set by the music services. Best to direct your anger over at Google Play Music.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Uploaded music doesn't even play from a voice command with a paid subscription. That's what makes it even more annoying. I have over 20,000 uploaded tracks in my Google Play library and I can only play them if I use the app instead of voice.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Does a playlist containing your music work i wonder?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Does a playlist containing your music work i wonder?
If not, you could use IFTTT and the trigger to play a Sonos Favourite which can be locally stored.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
It does work with playlists containing uploaded music, at least with the "Thumbs Up" playlist I have tried.

Unfortunately when I say "OK Google Shuffle My Thumbs Up Playlist" the tracks are not shuffled and it plays the same tracks in the same order every time - really poor!!!
Userlevel 2
I agree that these rules are a huge disappointment. Using Google Assistant to access my library on Google Play Music was the key feature I was looking for. It seems increasingly clear that the implementation of Google Assistant on Sonos falls far short of Google’s own speakers. Time to give Alexa a try.
I would've agreed with you, except that I already have Alexa and it's no better ... To make things worse with Alexa, she's really not smart and doesn't understand half the time or misunderstands the request
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
It does work with playlists containing uploaded music, at least with the "Thumbs Up" playlist I have tried.

Unfortunately when I say "OK Google Shuffle My Thumbs Up Playlist" the tracks are not shuffled and it plays the same tracks in the same order every time - really poor!!!

Go to olisto.com, create an account, link to Google Assistant service and Sonos service.

Create a "trigg" (automation routine) that sets your Sonos to shuffle play mode when you say to Google Assistant "set Sonos shuffle mode". Then play your playlist.
Userlevel 2
Interesting. Can you test playing just a single song, album, or artist, not a playlist and let me know if that works?
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Unfortunately there is no way I know of to play a specific song/album/artist/playlist from your Sonos library using Google Assistant or Alexa. Obviously that's a gigantic shortcoming that Sonos has failed to address. The only thing you can do is play a specific Sonos Favorite, and you have to create a custom GA command for each favorite since Sonos hasn't bothered to support variable values in their IFTTT implementation.
Sonos has no control over the subscription requirements, they are set by the music services. Best to direct your anger over at Google Play Music.

feels like something for Sonos to solve though rather than Google, as I can play my music with no paid subscription from the app (so sonos can work with a free google play music subscription) and I can control it when it's playing via voice (so google assistant can control my music player), the two are just not completely joined up. Sounds like it can be fixed. Combine it with https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/any-way-to-play-my-own-music-uploaded-to-google-library-6825554?postid=16349451 which says "even with a subscription it doesn't work" and it says something's accidentally broken, rather than contractually disabled.