Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Ken_Griffiths… Well, that’s sad. My Music Library doesn’t show up in “Your Sources” on my iPhone app. The email that came out May 2nd by Sonos gave a link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos?utm_source=sfmc_520002004&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=son_bt_eng_afs_eol-legacyshares-announcement-null&utm_term=2024-05-02&bid=&uid=112731505&sid=0031N00001RwbzmQAB

It details how one goes to Manage, select Music Library Settings then, use the “+” on a Mac to add the Library. Unfortunately, there is no “Music Library Settings” that shows up to select. Looks like I’m S.O.L.

From said May 2 email regarding SMBv, I thought it only applied to external DACs or some other devices, not a lowly SSD drive.

If you perhaps search online for SMBv1 and its vulnerabilities you will likely see why it’s not being supported in the new Sonos App. Microsoft haven’t included it Windows 11 too - it’s considered to be a security risk, I guess, and so these things do help to encourage users to step-up to SMBv2.

I don’t know MAC OS very well, but I assume it’s a simple settings change during the  setup of an SMBv2 shared drive. The instructions are probably online somewhere to make the changes required, or perhaps check YouTube. 

The guide for Windows PC’s are posted HERE…but I’ve not seen a similar post for Mac computers at the moment.

NAS box shares are usually quickly configured by a drop-down selection of SMBv2/v3 in their configuration settings.

@SlamDesi

You should be able to use the MAC desktop App to setup the connection to the SMBv2 share once you have put it in place.

If you do not have the App installed currently, then the latest version is available here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

Hope that helps once you have an SMBv2 share setup and ready to link to your Sonos system.

Edit: Some other links that perhaps might prove useful too…

Ken_Griffiths… Thanks for the links. It’s not easy to find the downloads section on the Sonos site so that I could reinstall the S2 desktop controller I’d originally had.  Before I got the download link from you, the only “controller” for the desktop was their new Web App. I downloaded that but it couldn’t find the correct library.  Upon opening the freshly installed S2, it didn’t ask me to update the controller this time which, previously, killed my ability to do anything with Sonos on the iMac that the Library is connected to.

I then went back to the iPhone app to see if anything had changed but, my Music Library is still not showing up nor is there anything that will allow me to create a path to my exisiting Music Library.  I’m reaching out to a friend who’s much more savvy at networking and asking him what this SMBv2 or 3 is even about and where it might be residing on my Mac system (he, like you, is a Windows-based guru).

, I use an SMBv3 share for my l music library on my Linux based NAS for example.

Does your SONOS system work to play music from this source when your internet is offline?

I’ve just tried this. Whilst the old S2 app continues to function without internet access, the new app fails with “Something went wrong.” when clicking on ‘Your Sources > Music Library’.

As the new app is a cause of a great deal of displeasure, not only with myself but it would seem also many others. Surely the best solution and course of action would be to roll back the app. And then, and then and only then release a new app when all and I mean ALL the previous features actually work? Surely not everyone who are or were involved in this unmitigated disaster are not devoid of being able to use an element of logic? I now have two Sonos systems costing many £’s which are not fit for the purpose for which they were intended. So thank you for that Sonos. We appreciate you all? Very hollow words.

As disgruntled customers all we can do is vote the app down on Play and App stores and avoid buying anymore Sonos products until they concede defeat and give us an app capable of controlling our Sonos speakers properly.

Alternatively vote with your feet and take your business/money elsewhere.

I am in a "wait and see" stage, but hope is fading that Sonos will see sense. I will start researching alternatives soon.

I think the ‘Something has gone wrong’ icon is very good on the new app. It’s all I ever see whenever I try and play anything on my speakers (or should i say Sonos paperweights).

The courageous App update that ‘energised’ the team is down to a 1.5 rating on the Play Store.

Reputations take years to build but can be ruined in the blink of an eye by taking your mind off what's really important.  This is a concept clearly alien to Sonos and the senior management team who appear to have absolutely doubled down on the ‘We're right and you're wrong.’ mindset.

Alarms

Just wanted to let people know that alarms are back on, so hopefully other issues will be just as quick to get resolved.

I know these things are (more than) annoying but with so many people so quick to throw the baby out with the bath water I do wonder what my fellow Sonos users do as jobs that they can, as many, many comments have threatened, just take  out their whole Sonos system and buy something  that is not a “crock of ……” (put in your own expletive) ? 

Queue management: 

Alarms:

The courageous App update that ‘energised’ the team is down to a 1.5 rating on the Play Store.

Reputations take years to build but can be ruined in the blink of an eye by taking your mind off what's really important.  This is a concept clearly alien to Sonos and the senior management team who appear to have absolutely doubled down on the ‘We're right and you're wrong.’ mindset

Wow. I use it as surround system. Thought app might have tune option for Android..... 80 percent of your customers use Android.  So annoyed. Plus Why did you take out the volume number? It was bad enough holding the volume bar to get an idea of volume. but now even that is gone. Please bring it back.

OMG do you even use your own software for surround it is so convoluted. Please move products below sound options wow what about a user being able to format the screens to own preference. Seriously rounding buttons taking stuff away is not a product update. 

Good your products don't cut out on surround like Samsung. 

Reputations take years to build but can be ruined in the blink of an eye by taking your mind off what's really important.  This is a concept clearly alien to Sonos and the senior management team who appear to have absolutely doubled down on the ‘We're right and you're wrong.’ mindset

I noticed the app store rating has also started to drop from 4.4 to 4.3 in the last day.

Read this glowing review... (not mine)

@alip43 I was looking to replace my surround setup to enable Atmos as well as add some patio speakers and headphones at the point of the headphone release later this year... These plans are now definitely on hold until this shambles has been addressed. If it is not addressed in reasonable time I will definitely be looking at an alternative system for my upgrades/additions which will, inevitably, lead to replacements of other Sonos kit over time!

My Sonos app/account is paired with my Spotify account. When I click Spotify in the Sonos app I can see the Spotify 'songs' and Spotify 'playlists' but when I click the Spotify 'albums' I get a message 'something went wrong' . Why cannot I see my Spotify albums anymore in the Sonos app?

As a work around I'm opening Spotify on my phone, playing the album and then connecting to my Sonos 3 speaker. This all works. All these shenanigans are totally baffling.

Ken_Griffiths… Thanks for the links. It’s not easy to find the downloads section on the Sonos site so that I could reinstall the S2 desktop controller I’d originally had.  Before I got the download link from you, the only “controller” for the desktop was their new Web App. I downloaded that but it couldn’t find the correct library.  Upon opening the freshly installed S2, it didn’t ask me to update the controller this time which, previously, killed my ability to do anything with Sonos on the iMac that the Library is connected to.

I then went back to the iPhone app to see if anything had changed but, my Music Library is still not showing up nor is there anything that will allow me to create a path to my exisiting Music Library.  I’m reaching out to a friend who’s much more savvy at networking and asking him what this SMBv2 or 3 is even about and where it might be residing on my Mac system (he, like you, is a Windows-based guru).

The controller you need for the MAC is this one, rather than the Web App…

I’d get your guru friend to give you a hand though anyway as they maybe able to sort it easily for you.

Hope you can sort it, if not give Sonos Support a call perhaps. Here is the link to contact them…

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

I wasn't going to add to the list of moans and and groans as there's already so many that all my problems have been covered by others. But enough is enough.... its my turn for a rant at this utterly useless new app.

I've tried the download  of the old version trick, twice, both times its updated to the new one even though I've got automatic updates switched off!! I dont know how they manage to do that, I'm not a technical genius, but then i didn't think being a technical genius was a requirement for owning Sonos products. I rather thought it should work out of the box!. The new screen gives me nothing but grey boxes, apart from the services line. However, I'm one of those who plays my own music, but I can do that only 50% of the time because for the other  50% the music library button just isnt there...... along with useful things.... like my list of playlists!!!

Now to add insult to injury today all I can get is that the app can't find my system.

Thank goodness I still have my trusty old windows PC. The app on that may not be very clever but it least it works...... Every time!!!!!!

I wasn't going to add to the list of moans and and groans as there's already so many that all my problems have been covered by others. But enough is enough.... its my turn for a rant at this utterly useless new app.

I've tried the download  of the old version trick, twice, both times its updated to the new one even though I've got automatic updates switched off!! I dont know how they manage to do that, I'm not a technical genius, but then i didn't think being a technical genius was a requirement for owning Sonos products. I rather thought it should work out of the box!. The new screen gives me nothing but grey boxes, apart from the services line. However, I'm one of those who plays my own music, but I can do that only 50% of the time because for the other  50% the music library button just isnt there...... along with useful things.... like my list of playlists!!!

Now to add insult to injury today all I can get is that the app can't find my system.

Thank goodness I still have my trusty old windows PC. The app on that may not be very clever but it least it works...... Every time!!!!!!

So you need to disable auto update inside the Sonos app AND in the Google Play store for the Sonos app.

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Combined threads:

Queue management: 

Alarms:

This latest Sonos App is a disaster, it doesn’t seem to work at all. One moment I’m on my system but can’t actually play anything then the next moment the app can’t find any products at all, and again I still can’t play anything.

i’m on iOS and the app isn’t working.

my partner is on Samsung and doesn’t have any problems.

someone hasn’t done the testing thoroughly.

Hi Everyone

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

Combined threads:

Queue management: 

Alarms:

This latest Sonos App is a disaster, it doesn’t seem to work at all. One moment I’m on my system but can’t actually play anything then the next moment the app can’t find any products at all, and again I still can’t play anything.

i’m on iOS and the app isn’t working.

my partner is on Samsung and doesn’t have any problems.

someone hasn’t done the testing thoroughly.

Android is the same too, so maybe the Samsung hasn’t updated yet, if not, I would advise to disable auto updates.

The good old and faithful Windows Desktop Controller is the only piece of software made by Sonos that's worth using. The rest is crap. <irony on> I'll bet they'll decide on decommissioning the WDC rather sooner than later. <irony off>

Never felt more disappointed in Sonos than since the last app update. Bah!

So you need to disable auto update inside the Sonos app AND in the Google Play store for the Sonos app.

No - that's NOT enough.  Somehow, Sonos have engineered  STEALTH update mode.  It's activated on 3 different androids (not synced) and an iPad.  

There's also a firmware update that eliminates SMBV1 shares - so if you have an older NAS you'll discover that your local Music Library has disappeared for good into oblivion. 

I've moved my Sonos onto Lyrion Music system. 

My final coup de grace isn't too far off when the whole lot goes into the public refuse bin 

Alarms

Just wanted to let people know that alarms are back on, so hopefully other issues will be just as quick to get resolved.

I know these things are (more than) annoying but with so many people so quick to throw the baby out with the bath water I do wonder what my fellow Sonos users do as jobs that they can, as many, many comments have threatened, just take  out their whole Sonos system and buy something  that is not a “crock of ……” (put in your own expletive) ? 

Queue management: 

Alarms:

@Corry P I work as a Product Manager delivering Enterprise Grade Solutions to the largest companies in the world. Two things I know about customers:

1. It is easier to make money from existing customers than win new ones
  2. When a customer decides its time to go, it is hard to win them back

It is clear that we have a lot of development people here and that is one of the reasons that the messaging from Sonos are seen so negatively. We can see and smell the cover up.

It was not the users that threw the baby out with the bath water, that was Sonos.

Under a different scenario I would happily be focused on providing feedback on what’s new and not what is missing. Sadly Sonos did not offer me the choice and chose to force onto me an app that has disrupted my use of the products and enjoyment of music.

Sonos could have:

• Delivered the new app alongside the current one.
  • Delivered an optional update with a warning that users who did not want their experience disrupted or who depended on the missing features should wait for the September 2024 update, a realistic date to complete and stabilise the new app, to adopt the new one.

Sonos chose to remove my choice and now has the audacity to complain that I am critical. Sonos literally broke into my home and stole parts of my music system from me.

There are likely people here who can afford to simply replace all of the Sonos equipment they own and do that before Sonos can deliver an app that is actually fit for purpose. I doubt that there are many but there will be some.

The real commercial damage for Sonos will be the large number of users who will now continue using the speakers they have rather than upgrading. I am one of these people. I have recently bought a pair of Era 100s and I’m really impressed. So impressed that I was considering replacing by 3 x Play:1’s with Era 100s and a Play:3 with an Era 300. Those plans are now on permanent hold.

When I decide at a future date to buy change my system to update the technology, Sonos will no longer be my automatic first choice.

Sonos is the problem here, not the customers, and its time for Sonos to accept this.

I am still on the old app with auto update turned off in the Apple Store and in the app it’s turned off in system 

mine has not tried to update at all and I have had 1 popup asking me to update which I closed and ignored 

worst thing I have to deal with is making sure I don’t hit update when doing other apps 😜

, I use an SMBv3 share for my l music library on my Linux based NAS for example.

Does your SONOS system work to play music from this source when your internet is offline?

I’ve just tried this. Whilst the old S2 app continues to function without internet access, the new app fails with “Something went wrong.” when clicking on ‘Your Sources > Music Library’.

Thanks. Can anyone else confirm this (I’m currently at work), because if that really is the case, I’m done with Sonos. No good reason to require internet access to play local libraries.

I am still on the old app with auto update turned off in the Apple Store and in the app it’s turned off in system 

mine has not tried to update at all and I have had 1 popup asking me to update which I closed and ignored 

worst thing I have to deal with is making sure I don’t hit update when doing other apps 😜

That perhaps shows clearly that Sonos has not forced anyone to update, your example here proves that to be the case @skullc.

It’s often the case users either have auto-updates enabled, or have manually chosen to update themselves. The settings are there on controller devices to switch off updating. Everyone does have that choice to standstill and to perhaps wait and see. 

I chose to ‘manually’ update both the App/hardware in my own case.