Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Guys what is this product?

I have not this product!

How can I add back my Sonos speakers?

They cannot connect 

It’s an image of a Sonos Port - it’s probably just a ‘placeholder’ (stock) image, that would be my guess. (Just use the MAC address shown to identify your speaker).

Guys what is this product?

I have not this product!

How can I add back my Sonos speakers?

They cannot connect 

It’s an image of a Sonos Port - it’s probably just a ‘placeholder’ (stock) image, that would be my guess. (Just use the MAC address shown to identify your speaker).

My Sonos Beam V2 continue to refuse to connect.

Managed to connect the 2 Sonos 1, but this beam is a mystery to me.

I tried everything.

Hard reset, soft reset, medium reset.

Sometimes ut is seen as Sonos Port....

@camillo777,

Have you tried either logging in/out the Sonos App or even a Sonos App ‘reset’?

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reset-the-sonos-app

Is the Sonos App showing as being up-to-date in your local mobile device App Store?

Have you tried wiring the Beam to the LAN, temporarily?

Have you tried the setup of the Beam using a different controller device?

Is the MAC address correct on that screenshot you listed for the Beam you are trying to setup?

Update just arrived (iOS, anyway) here and Local Library search is FINALLY back and appears to be working Ok.

Doesn't look as if the handy A - Z scroll bar on the right is back, however, and it remains to be seen if album artwork is working, but we do have progress!

Yes, it’s a step in the right direction. I did a search for a song from Mozart’s The Magic Flute. It found it and after selecting it, it started playing. After it was finished, I went back into that Play:3 in the Sunroom and checked the queue (or playlist) and the 355 songs were gone except for the Mozart piece that just played. I was expecting the selection to be added to the existing queue like the old app would do. Funny thing is that the song was already in that playlist so I don’t know why it removed all the songs in that playlist and I’m left with one song. But that’s okay. I can live with that for now.

1. To check CEC issue, I disconnected all other HDMI connections and devices except Sonos.  Still it doesn't work. 

2. Tried with A different HDMI cable and still doesn't work

Hi @koilada, one fairly easy thing to try if you’ve not already done so ...​​

• Power down your television
  • Power down your Arc
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Power up your television, wait for it to completely boot up
  • Power up your Arc

… that will ensure a proper HDMI/CEC/eArc negotiation.

I tried this couple of times but it didn't work. Now doubting my HDMI cable (the one came with arc)

And you’re definitely connecting the Arc to the TV’s HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC port? (Sorry if this was discussed before.)

I found the issue, removing HDMI connection of Xbox X activated Sonos arc. Don't know how to make it work with Xbox connected

Hang on, your assertion is that if the app plays back music that it is working as it should? Forget widget, forget playback controls, forget previous such features? Strange angle 

• Sonos do not make a widget for my main iOS controllers - I don’t think they ever have?
  • Playback controls working here are IIRC - play now, play next, add to end of queue, replace queue - yep I’m sure they’re all there.
  • I’ve not forgotten the previous features - I’m waiting patiently, but I’m not too bothered about library search at this stage. I miss the queue management more. It’s a speaker system controller - lots of bigger things in the World to concern myself with - so nope it’s not a ‘strange angle’ at all.

I beg to differ.  I have a large library of music, from tapes, records and CD which i have diligently digitised.  They are all in a folder on an external disc which is plugged in to my router.  This is the music i play.  I bought a set of Sonos speakers because they were a) wireless, b) could all be controlled from an app on my phone, regardless of where i was in the house and c) others in the house could play what they wanted in the room they were in without affecting my experience.  That seems like a simple enough expectation; play my music on my speakers in my house, the way i want.  Since the infamous update i can't do that.  To me that is a complete failure on the part of Sonos to meet the simplest expectations of a customer who bought their products as advertised.  If that was the plan and it is all going smoothly - from their perspective, they should be sued for this kind of disregard for customers.  

I have a locally held library here too 25.697 tracks at last count - it’s never stopped working here and has been available in the new Sonos App since the early May release. That’s perhaps partly because I read the attached notification that was sent out by Sonos in April, and the emails from them too about SMBv1/HTTP shares being obsoleted and that only SMBv2 (or higher) shares would work with the new App, well actually that’s not entirely the case as the SMBv1 issue in particular was widely discussed at the time of the S1/S2 split (August 2020) so my library had been prepared for the recent changes some time ago.

Anyhow the library has always worked fine here as the screen-capture attached perhaps shows too.

I hope you are not suggesting that my problems are associated with the SMBv1 issues, because it is not.  I've checked all the suggestions about this from the outset and didn't need to change everything - my 'system’ such as it is, appears to me to meet the requirements.  It is nice to know, but cold comfort, that your library is accessible; where is it exactly?  As i've said before, my music folder is on an external drive attached to the router.  It was working fine; the app was updated (i either accepted the update or couldn't use the app and thus the system and then my music folder disappeared and could not be re-added, at all at first - neither the add a folder on or directly connected to this computer nor the add a networked device worked.  With later app updates i have been able to access the backup music folder which is on an external drive attached to my notebook.  That's progress but i still can not add a networked folder.  I'm really happy to hear that your system works fine, that's good for you but i don't think i'm alone in having this problem and a company that cared about its customers would make every effort to care about them all, not a select few.  At the risk of repeating myself, it is my music, my sound system bought on the basis of a model that worked.  Now it doesn't.  How can a company get away with something like that?  It shouldn't happen.

So, new app and my alarms did not execute this morning - all present and on in the app but just not actioned (Play 1 stereo pair)... Anyone else?

Hello,

Since todays update of both app and speakers firnware, now all album compilations are broken on music library. Regardless of the setting, now all tracks are showed as an independent album. Before update, this was working fine.

My OS is Android.

Anyone else with the same?

I've checked my Samsung Galaxy phones, an A12 and S24 and also the app on my  Surface Laptop.  There have been no updates to anything Sonos related here in Thailand.  At least for the hardware i have.  Interestingly, i checked the app versions.  They all run Sonos S02 but the version they have all different:  A12- 80.02.07, S24- 80.05.06 and the notebook 16.3.  It is all beyond me.  But the good news is the S24 is no longer crashing, even though i did not update anything and a check tells me that i'm up to date.  ???  

My iPad and iPhone eventually updated to 80.05.04 (For the iPad I had to delete app and re-install).

Made a search to find stuff in my Music Library - “Duran Duran” which listed albums under Music Library and I could expand and see the albums. I then searched “Proms” as I have albums Proms (2016), Proms (2017) and so on to this year. It showed then and I could swipe right but it stopped after a while so clicked Show More and it then just showed a blank screen.

Then went back and repeated “Duran Duran” search - it now shows absolutely nothing for Music Library - and nowno matter what I search it never returns anything under Music Library. If I choose “Duran Duran” under search history it actually returns those albums again.

Edit.

Force closed iPad app and it now shows a result - Why the flip is Music Library result right at the bottom? (Can this be changed). And searching for “Proms” did the same as above except it did show more when clicking.

It looks like Sonos are getting there but good grief it’s painful.

Edit. 10 minutes later this is still happening. After it started working again when I force closed iPad app then I got no results again searching for “Duran Duran”. Same happened - force closed and then results came back. 

Hello,

Since todays update of both app and speakers firnware, now all album compilations are broken on music library. Regardless of the setting, now all tracks are showed as an independent album. Before update, this was working fine.

My OS is Android.

I've checked my Samsung Galaxy phones, an A12 and S24 and also the app on my  Surface Laptop.  There have been no updates to anything Sonos related here in Thailand.  At least for the hardware i have.  Interestingly, i checked the app versions.  They all run Sonos S02 but the version they have all different:  A12- 80.02.07, S24- 80.05.06 and the notebook 16.3.  It is all beyond me.  But the good news is the S24 is no longer crashing, even though i did not update anything and a check tells me that i'm up to date.  ???  

Edit!! Your Android A12 doesn’t look like you’ve updated the app. Go to the Play Store to update it.

Your S24 is up to date.

All speakers will be on version 16.3, if you look under About My System, so the notebook is also showing the correct version, it’s just not highlighting the 80 part. 
The S24 has updated itself if you’ve not done it.
And the system firmware updated last week.

Hello,

My OS is Android.

Edit!! Your Android A12 doesn’t look like you’ve updated the app. Go to the Play Store to update it.

Your S24 is up to date.

All speakers will be on version 16.3, if you look under About My System, so the notebook is also showing the correct version, it’s just not highlighting the 80 part. 

Thanks @Rhonny, i didn't update the app on the A12 because it was the one that was actually working, whereas the S24 kept crashing.  I'll check again now, wait for the news 🙂

Hello,

My OS is Android.

Your S24 is up to date.

Thanks @Rhonny, i didn't update the app on the A12 because it was the one that was actually working, whereas the S24 kept crashing.  I'll check again now, wait for the news 🙂

@Rhonny, thank you.  The app has updated and both phones have the same version number now.  Let's see if i can successfully access my music folder.  More to follow :)

July 23 and STILL dysfunctional.
Worse still, no word about progress or status.

Bad. Bad. Bad. 

Hello,

My OS is Android.

Your S24 is up to date.

@Rhonny, thank you.  The app has updated and both phones have the same version number now.  Let's see if i can successfully access my music folder.  More to follow :)

Unfortunately, i still can't find a way to access the network folder (on the external drive connected to my router).  I can access the folder on the external drive connected to my notebook however and both phone apps now function.  I guess that is a step forward and we live in hope 🙂.  Thanks again @Rhonny.  

Bad. Bad. Bad. 

Did you update the app yesterday?

There has been quite a bit from Sonos about progress and status.

Bad. Bad. Bad. 

Did you update the app yesterday?

There has been quite a bit from Sonos about progress and status.

i found the announcement .05/.04. I’ll check it out. 

Update just arrived (iOS, anyway) here and Local Library search is FINALLY back and appears to be working Ok.

Doesn't look as if the handy A - Z scroll bar on the right is back, however, and it remains to be seen if album artwork is working, but we do have progress!

Looks like I spoke too soon. Local Library (on a NAS) was included in search the first time I used it but since then it isn’t showing up.

Also, if I access the library via the (iOS) app, although the folders appear to be there, the app doesn't find the content within them, throwing up a “something went wrong” error. The library and all it’s content shows up no problem via the Windows desktop app (the one they don’t appear to have messed about with) 

Back to square one !

Updated Android app yesterday for Pixel 6. Still no playback controls outside of app.  

There’s no point repeating the same old existing issues, concerns and complete frustration the Sonos community has with the total mess they have created with this useless app update! What’s unbelievable is that Sonos don’t just give us back the old app while they fix their mess properly and in their labs before any further release, rather than on the community and we become the free bug testers for them and have to deal with the frustrations! It makes zero sense and their CEO should be taken to task (fired!) over this mess, his lack of leadership and the total disrespect shown to the user base! It would take no effort at all to put it back on the app stores and would at least go some way to supporting us all and showing they actually care! Anyway, as this has all been said before and here we are in July with an app that is still a buggy mess, I can’t see that ever happening.

As for my own personal issues on my system, I’d like to draw attention once again to the following unresolved problems: 

1. Not being able to turn off WiFi on all devices! It’s a well documented issue now on these forums and it’s causing serious IP issues on fully LAN connected setups such as mine! I know the only way to sort it currently is to switch the WiFi off in the settings and then quickly unplug the device so it doesn’t reset back again, but it’s not exactly a great user experience is it Sonos! I have 31 devices on my main setup (due to the 32 device limit), another 8 devices on another setup and a further 6 devices are on another setup in a separate building (all on same network). If I try to add any new devices I can’t turn off the WiFi, it just gives the usual ‘something went wrong’ error and the WiFi turns back on! Please sort this issue ASAP.
  2. When you use the app for the first time and you’re asked to select an existing system, it shows my 3 different and separate setups, but rather than use the system name I gave them when I set them up, it only shows you a list of all the devices in each setup and you have to select the right one on that basis! How useless, show the System Names and make it simple! Also, why can’t you switch between different setups from within the app at any time? I have to have 3 different physical devices (iPhone/iPads) just to manage each of the 3 different Sonos setups! How completely useless, just show me the different system names and let me switch between them on one device…
  3. Trying to add new devices to a setup still fails from the new app! I ended up having to use an old iPhone with the original S2 app on it to install a couple of new Play5’s. Thank goodness I had that old phone in a drawer and could use it (ensuring auto update was off!) or I’d have two speakers I couldn’t use.
  4. Trying to add Amazon as a service constantly caused the ‘Something went wrong’ error and crash. In the end the only way I could add my service back in was via the old Windows app (thank goodness that still works!)

Come on Sonos, do the right thing and support your community properly. At the end of the day we’ve put our trust in you and spent a lot of money  on your products (an awful lot in my case!) and the way you’ve handled this is just disgraceful. If this was a quick fix and the new app was as good as or better than S2 by now, we’d be over it, but it’s not, here we are in July and it’s still a disfunctional mess!

Had to download the app as Sonos now force it's customers to comply. It's littered with issues, the good news is loss of customers and business often tends to resolve companies issues......

Sonos App Re-design being informed by feedback. Okay, here presumably.

I have a large local library stored on my computer. The 22 July app version finally allows adding that music via a shared folder added as a NAS. But that causes whole new headaches:

1. Sonos has the presumed 65k track limit; my music folder exceeds that. And when I initially purchased Sonos several years ago, I’d had to create a whole new system of organization and sub-folders so that I could add to Sonos the music I most wanted to listen to. Not to mention the many months spent changing metadata and file/folder names to get anywhere near the 65k theoretical limit.
  2. It is impractical both for the integrity of my music library, as well as other applications I use, to not only further subdivide up my library but now to split whole portions of it from the main Music folder.
  3. Maybe there’s a solution already available or a solution forthcoming in a subsequent release of the app. But how would one know. The information and communication has been scant and inaccurate at times with over-promises and under-delivery.  Further, customer service seems to have fallen from the celebrated Sonos of yesteryear. Even when I messaged with a question I had about a product I was contemplating purchasing (Port), I received an automated email beginning “Due to the unforeseen circumstances, responses may be slightly delayed.” That was 5 weeks ago.

To be clear I do not fault the tech team or other staff for these issues but, in the future, would it be possible to be realistic with these timelines; would it be possible to communicate better (more directly, perhaps) of what the future plans are; and, would it be at all possible, not too leave a whole subset of the customer base w/o any option of continuing to use the old app until the bugs are worked out (even w/o streaming services, which is not my preferred method of listening to music).

Is it necessity, expediency or some other reason why you’d make the whole Sonos community faux beta-testers. Faux b/c we were not tasked to be testers; faux beta b/c there has been no new version that comes close to a even a beta version.  Perhaps, the answer to everything posed in this post (even the Sonos Port question I sent over a month ago) can be found somewhere in the Forums or the Internet if I just spent even more time and energy to tease it out, but it seems like the burden is being unfairly placed on the customer base in numerous ways already.

Such opaqueness and bungled management naturally erodes confidence in Sonos and lends itself to speculation and rumors. And it’s a disservice to the loyal customer base as well as the Sonos staff which is obviously overwhelmed and unable to handle what are continued unforced errors. It’s hard not to wonder if there’s something else going on. Otherwise, It’s just mismanagement and a customer/public relations fiasco. And something more than “patience” will have to be forthcoming in the near future to restore faith in Sonos. It’s befuddling.

You’ve surely heard these complaints about the Sonos app and by extension about Sonos, in general. But it should already be obvious to Sonos w/o hearing from a single customer what the issues are and how Sonos is shooting itself in the foot without avail.

[Originally posted under “New Sonos App Update!” but then I saw this thread topic so re-posting here (sorry).]

Sonos App Re-design being informed by feedback. How to do that? aApparently here, I see]

I have a large local library stored on my computer. The 22 July app version finally allows adding that music via a shared folder added as a NAS. But that causes whole new headaches:

1. Sonos has the presumed 65k track limit; my music folder exceeds that. And when I initially purchased Sonos several years ago, I’d had to create a whole new system of organization and sub-folders so that I could add to Sonos the music I most wanted to listen to. Not to mention the many months spent changing metadata and file/folder names to get anywhere near the 65k theoretical.
  2. It is impractical both for the integrity of my music library, as well as other applications I use, to have to not only after split it up further but now to move it outside the Music folder.
  3. Maybe there’s a solution already available or a solution forthcoming in a subsequent release of the app. But how would one know. The information and communication has been scant and inaccurate at times. Further, customer service seems to have fallen from the celebrated Sonos of yesteryear. Even when I messaged with a question I had about a product I was contemplating purchasing (Port), I received an automated email beginning “Due to the unforeseen circumstances, responses may be slightly delayed.” That was 5 weeks ago.

A way around the 65k track limit is to use the Plex service on Sonos as widely mentioned in the community - I think another option is to use iBroadcast cloud services, but I don’t know if the latter service may have its own limitations. See links below:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/services/plex

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/services/ibroadcast

Feedback: Running the very latest app with the latest system update, on an Android phone. Local library linked to Sonos, rescanned and the app closed and re-opened plenty of times.

Sonos is displaying all tracks on Various Artists albums as individual albums and is unable to play back any music on them.

Compare and contrast this search in the Sonos app. There's no problem pulling in the correct data (and album art!) from my Plex library but my local library linked to Sonos is appallingly bad. One step forwards, two steps back… Local library unlinked from Sonos.

I just noticed yesterday’s new app has a problem. When changing rooms (speakers) whatever was in the queue gets totally removed. I verified this by watching it on my Windows Controller. So I would use one of my iPads and change rooms to a room that was just playing but paused, and I watched the queue disappear. So then you have to find that music queue (playlist) and place it back into that room. I tried this in three different rooms using two different iPads and an iPhone. All firmware was upgraded to 16.3 running the newest released IOS apps yesterday 7/22 even though the date in the app says 7/17. 

I just noticed yesterday’s new app has a problem. When changing rooms (speakers) whatever was in the queue gets totally removed.

Wow! Queue management arrived a month early! 😅