Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Hi @Rhonny 

Ah - understood. Thanks!

Now that you mention it, it doesn’t look much like the app, does it? 😅

Most requested features?

That’s a joke because they are still putting back what they took away.

Just fix the App and stop the marketing hype.

I love the benevolent and teaser-like tone they have taken - “More of what you have asked for, coming soon! Stay tuned for another exciting instalment!”

If they went by most-requested features, then v16.1 would be rolled out again! :)

Will we be seeing the return of queue editing/management, playlist editing/management, library searching A-Z, everyone’s apps finding their speakers, system updates working without recourse to the desktop app, no more random muting, no erratic volume,..

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jul 1, 2024. See release notes.

• Added multi-product setup for professional installers for iOS
  • Improved accessibility for configuring alarms with VoiceOver and Talkback
  • Added autoplay setting for analog devices using line-in for Android
  • Added support for SonosNet channel selection for Android
  • Added timezone settings for iOS
  • Added the option to forget a system in order to connect to or create a new system for iOS

Coming soon

Local library search and playback delayed to July in order to address feedback from beta testing.

• Local music library search and playback: July
  • Improved playback settings including Play Now: July
  • Create and edit local music library: July
  • Improved Autoplay settings for iOS: July
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

@paulrw Thanks. I know what's scheduled to come this month, I’m just being flippant as (other than library search) nothing I mentioned is specifically listed, and all are very much ‘most requested’… Plus they mention ‘Play Now’ is to come - but it is already on the app.

And here we are again.  The update last week has wiped out my access to both copies of my music library - what an improvement that was - NOT.  Once upon a time i had a music library on an external drive attached to my router (and a backup of that folder on an external drive attached to my notebook).  The infamous app update (of March was it?) wiped that out and we've been waiting ever since to get our music libraries back.  Recently i had been able to access the backup copy which is on an external hard drive attached to my notebook and held my breath for an update that would get me access to the folder on the router.  Then came the latest update and now i can't even access the backup copy.  What are Sonos doing?  Really! 

I'm in the process of relocating back to my country of origin and was looking at buying a Sonos system for my new apartment.  That's not going to happen, i'm looking for workable alternatives.  So as well as any advice how i can use my music library here, i'd be happy to hear of workable wifi based systems.   Thank you.

Maybe this week’s update will fix it…?

I don’t think you read the article if you are asking these questions. 

Why do you say that? You might have to explain that one to me. The questions/comments are entirely related to @controlav’s article.

The article is about the flaws in the architecture and provides evidence from an industry leading engineer of the effects. To quote another engineer from earlier in the thread (commenting specifically on the article):

"While I am happy your system works flawlessly for you, your continued insistence that anyone who has issues is due to their local network, suggests limited understanding of how networks, specifically multicast and technologies involved with integration of online connected platforms actually work.

Those of us who work daily with these things know it’s not uncommon that what works for X amount of people doesn’t work for Y, it doesn’t mean Y people have broken networks though."

Honestly Sonos, HONESTLY!

The new update is soooooo so soooo bad, which ever team and designer dreamt up that monstrosity needs to be fired. Sack them get them to pay back all the money you paid them, who ever was in charge of that team, needs to be sacked and never asked to work in tech industry again. Who ever hired them and ran that job needs to be fired and the person above them who did not pay attention whilst that pile of crap was being made needs to get a demotion.

A total colossal waste of #&($)@ time energy and your customers time. How could you not even see it coming. I can only imagine the internal meetings on that load of @($)&#@. 

Sooo so so so so so bad. I’ve had to deal with some bad User X in the past but this one takes the cake. And it’s so so so so slow.

I don’t write messages like this lightly. Wasting another 5 minutes of my time to write this message…. cause it’s so so so so so bad.

Did I mention HORRIBLE. I use sonos everyday. Since the update it’s like 5 extra clicks to do everything. 

Next time I buy a speaker probably going to go to Apple or JBL or Google or Sony or anything else…..

FYI, THERE IS A NEW SYSTEM UPDATE (BUT NO CORRESPONDING APP UPDATE, THAT I CAN SEE YET). 

AM RUNNING THE UPDATE CURRENTLY - NOT SURE WHAT CHANGES WILL BE NOTICEABLE….

FYI, THERE IS A NEW SYSTEM UPDATE (BUT NO CORRESPONDING APP UPDATE, THAT I CAN SEE YET). 

AM RUNNING THE UPDATE CURRENTLY - NOT SURE WHAT CHANGES WILL BE NOTICEABLE….

Please let us know if it sucks less after the update. You da MVP.

I can’t tell, I’m afraid. My app still loads up in 2 secs, and plays perfectly well. It needs someone who has had issues with it to take the plunge and update and see what happens. 

No obvious changes, like queue or Playlist stuff, but perhaps that would come with an app update rather than System Update.

Maybe they have improved device discovery and responsiveness...

And back to the dreaded error 913

There is also an update for the Mac desktop app, so presumably also an update for the Windows app…

Again, no obvious changes there.

(@GSatt - did you update both the System and the desktop controller..?)

There is also an update for the Mac desktop app, so presumably also an update for the Windows app…

Confirmed @Rhonny, I just installed v80.1-55014 of the Windows desktop app without incident. While the version number scores an ‘80’ for the first time, it appears to be a very minor update.

Upon first start, it suggests a firmware update but is not a nag about it.

@GSatt,

For the 913 error you are seeing when trying to add your local library, perhaps see if this Sonos Support link may assist you to resolve the matter…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/error-913-when-adding-a-music-library-share

Hi @GSatt, are you trying to use the “My Music Folder” option in the Windows desktop app? Frustratingly, that option is not supported despite appearances. Here’s the background …

… and here is how you can fix it if your local library is a directory on your Windows machine …

Just updated firmware, after a quick functional check I can see no change, degradation or improvement... Hopefully it is a precursor to a supporting app/backend update 🤞

This app very seldom works! Worse app yet!

Just updated firmware, after a quick functional check I can see no change, degradation or improvement... Hopefully it is a precursor to a supporting app/backend update 🤞

EXCEPT - Old Android app is no longer useable as an update now seems to have been made MANDATORY 😡🤬😡

And now playing graphics (specifically radio/BBC Sounds) no longer seem to display or update!

So more regression 💩

@Ken_Griffiths and others 😉

Of interest, having now been forced to update to the new Android app on my tablet I am seeing a consistent initial load time of sub 10 seconds on the tablet vs. no change elsewhere (counting not timed). This would point to the client device (my tablet is higher spec than my phone and less cluttered). Something I had not considered - as my phone is not too old or a low/very outdated spec...

So - NOT my network - who would've thunk it 🤔

(Still seeing favourite and recently played lists vanish after initial app load though and jumpy volume  ect.  despite initial 'fastness'...☹️

Did the most recent app update on my Mac just now. Music library disappeared yet again. Unable to connect to it using all the methods prescribed by the helpful members of this community and Sonos’s own directions. I give up. I’m never buying another Sonos product again and even if I got my system resurrected, I don’t have faith in Sonos that they wouldn’t obsolete my Play 1 speakers down the road.

I just ordered more Ultimate Ear Megaboom speakers and I’m scraping my shoe and moving on. Good luck to the rest of you - you have more patience and trust than I do.

Radley

EXCEPT - Old Android app is no longer useable as an update now seems to have been made MANDATORY 😡🤬😡

And now playing graphics (specifically radio/BBC Sounds) no longer seem to display or update!

So more regression 💩

As I had just the grey transmitter thumbnail in my Recently Played, instead of the actual radio station logo, I played the station and the correct radio station thumbnail reappeared, I think it just greys out until it is actually played again. 
(When I tap BBC Sounds as a music service, all thumbnails are there…)

@Rhonny 🤔 I am seeing all logos on initial load but subsequent page revisits and they all show refresh icon  (permanently). I am seeing no logos in the room playing page at all anymore... Oh 💩💩 now not seeing local library browsing but 'something went wrong' - another degradation post firmware update - previously local browsing was fine for me!!!

Arrrrggghhhhhh will it ever end!

@Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C.

Glad to see life is starting to come back for Music Library.  Features I am still missing in version 80.04.04 for Apple products that were available in the previous app include:

1. Shuffle for a single folder.  This is still available in Sonos Controller for PC 16.1.  I have 3 folders (my wife’s, mine, Christmas) and have been able to shuffle songs from a single folder in the past but can’t do that with 80.04.04.
  2. Unable to add new folders to Music Library.  Prior to the update I had the 3 folders mentioned above.  After the update, one of them disappeared.  All 3 are subdirectories under a single directory on a NAS.
  3. Unable to update Music Library after adding new music to it.  I can see the menu item in the Sonos Controller for PC for that function, but it is now greyed out and not selectable.  The feature is not available in 80.04.04 as far as I can tell.
  4. Unable to add and remove items for an active play queue.
  5. Often, but not 100% of the time, song information (artist, title) is not displayed while a song is playing,  This wasn’t the case in the previous app.
  6. I haven’t been able to find a way to get the app version information from within the app.  

I also notice the directory path for My Library that was pinned to My Services shows up as “No longer available” even though I am able to play songs in that directory.

Hopefully you will be able to get the developers to address these items.

@Rhonny 🤔 I am seeing all logos on initial load but subsequent page revisits and they all show refresh icon  (permanently). I am seeing no logos in the room playing page at all anymore... Oh 💩💩 now not seeing local library browsing but 'something went wrong' - another degradation post firmware update - previously local browsing was fine for me!!!

Arrrrggghhhhhh will it ever end!

Is that this service, see attached @User117655 - Also, am I testing this correctly here by simply going back and forth between Home Screen and BBC Sounds and selecting the various stations? If so and it’s just not working for you, then have you spoken to Sonos Support about all the issues you’re seeing with your App & setup?