sustainability

Sonos no longer supports my smart phone software requiring me to get a new phone. Not very sustainable!

11 replies

Since Sonos normally supports iOS and Android versions that have ceased being supported by Apple and Google themselves, I believe your beef is with Apple and Google.  You aren’t really asking Sonos to support an OS that is not even supported by the manufacturer of the OS themselves, are you? 

it is the platform I have and have not changed it since Sonos sold me their system and app.  so I think that they should at least maintain the app they sold me.  

it is the platform I have and have not changed it since Sonos sold me their system and app.  so I think that they should at least maintain the app they sold me.  

Your expectations don't match with reality.  Sonos, like all app developers, is at the mercy of the mobile OS manufacturers.  It is they who dictate which versions an app developer must support and which ones they must abandon.

Also, Sonos didn't sell you an app.  Like all software, you are sold a license.  You own the hardware, you don't own the software, and as such, software is not liable to the same consumer laws as the hardware.  This includes eternal support for a particular version of a mobile operating system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Gord1994 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

In addition to the excellent points made above, please note the following:

Sonos pre-dates the invention of smartphones, and our first products are still in use by some users. Therefore, by your argument, we should still support the original iPhone, despite the fact that no-one uses it anymore, and it would probably be incapable of running our app anyway.

Even more pertinent to the point is that various music services require specific security measures in place before they allow a device to connect - if our app could still work on antiquated devices, it would be impossible for it to meet the security requirements of modern services.

In short, what you ask just isn’t possible for us to do while maintaining compatibility with music services and also meeting the demands for increased security that we see from our other users.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It’s like expecting Microsoft and IBM to still support an MS-DOS system on a 386-based personal computer. “I bought it in good faith, so you must continue the support.” Sorry, @Gord1994 but technology moves apace! 

I was forced to recycle a perfectly functional cellphone because the cell towers were no longer supporting it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @buzz 

I was forced to recycle a perfectly functional cellphone because the cell towers were no longer supporting it.

Wow! Was it a Nokia?

Samsung. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Lost my beloved Razor, best phone I’ve ever owned to that too.

I’ll not mention this topic to the spouse to avoid the unhappiness over her beloved CR-100s.

Userlevel 7

Anyone remember the Symbian OS for cell phones? Thinking off the cuff...I beleive Ericsson and Nokia had it for a while. If memory serves...Nokia absorbed Ericsson or the two somehow became entangled. 🤔

Shoot, I miss my Treo 650, but I suspect the 3G towers aren’t there for it to connect to anymore, much like @buzz’s issue.