Sonos v16

• 6 February 2024
  • 31 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

With the 16.0 update indicating a major update to the system, the release notes don’t really say anything. Come on Sonos do better! 

Does anyone have any insight?

—————

In this update:

• Bug fixes and performance enhancements.

System requirements changes:

• The Sonos app will no longer receive updates on the following operating systems. The app can still be used to control commonly-used features.
    • iOS 14 and 15
    • iPadOS 14 and 15

System requirements

• Android 8.0 or later
  • iOS 16 or later
  • iPadOS 16 or later
  • macOS 10.12 or later
  • Windows 8 or later
  • Fire OS 7 and higher

31 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

When I first got my ARC and was trying out my Panasonic UB-DP820 4K BR player, I wasn’t getting Atmos until I figured out that the eARC setting for the HDMI port the Panasonic is using was set to ARC. Set it to eARC and it worked perfectly.

If the ARC only worked with eARC, then anybody with an older TVs could not use it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have indeed got a Samsung qled TV 12 months old, and I did try the optical cable supplied with the Sonos but I found the body of the cable too big, it was fouling on the body of the TV

I have indeed got a Samsung Qled TV and I have tried the optical adapter supplied with the Sonos but the body of the cable is too wide and pushes against the body of the TV and prevents it from working. 

I'll try turning off e-ARC Tomorrow, although I thought Sonos needs it on to work

No HDMI-eARC can be ‘on’ or ‘off’ - it’s really only needed anyway for uncompressed Dolby MAT/Multi-channel LPCM audio, or uncompressed Dolby TrueHD/Atmos audio, but otherwise the streaming services will work fine with DD+ Atmos audio, if you do leave it off.

NB: You do need to leave CEC enabled however on the TV (which Samsung call AnyNet+) that’s if you use the Arc connection. 

Thanks for the advice Ken, I've now changed setting to HDMI e-Arc off and yep it still works. My old ears are not detecting any difference in sound, it does however stop Dolby Atmos but not too many broadcasts in that anyway, but can always switch back to hdmi e-Arc auto if there is one. I'll keep everything in standby and see if sound is still through the Sonos and not the dreadful TV speakers.

I’ve noticed a few changes since updating to version 16. 
On the plus side my Era 300 now finally works with my Sony turntable via BT.

On the down side I’ve noticed a dramatic decrease on the volume effect on my Arc. Got Arc connected with a Sub (gen 1) and two Sonos One as rear speakers. 
 Before the update I could barely get over 15 on the volume without fear of angering my neighbours. Now I can move the volume between 20 - 50 without hearing any difference and it’s still lower than it was before the update. Not even at 70 I feel the same power of the arc and sub as I did before the update.

Another thing that has happen is that both my ones fell out of the system and I’ve had to factory reset them to get them back as surround speakers. 
I have tried to factory reset the Arc and Sub now as well hoping it would have fixed it, but it didn’t.

I've requested a reboot option on the app but disappointed again to see it's not been added with this update. This would save owner's with the loss of connection issues having to do a complete power cycle.

How would a remote reboot option work if the network connection to the device had been lost?

Maybe a time-construction in the device-software to restart the device about 5 minutes after a update-command or networkconnectionproblem? Thats a challence for Sonos i think ;-)

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Another thing that has happen is that both my ones fell out of the system and I’ve had to factory reset them to get them back as surround speakers. 
I have tried to factory reset the Arc and Sub now as well hoping it would have fixed it, but it didn’t.

My surrounds (actually Play:Ones) never update correctly, and cause a massive headache if I try while in surround mode.  I’ve learned to uncouple them from the Beam first, do the update them, then pair them up again.

I’ve reluctantly accepted that the older gear, bit by bit, is becoming more and more problematic and I’m slowly replacing it with the newer generation stuff.  It’s costing me a lot of money, but the old stuff seems to have been saddled with pitiful amounts of memory, even for their time, and this seems likely to be the root of many of the issues.   

Andrew 

the old stuff seems to have been saddled with pitiful amounts of memory, even for their time, and this seems likely to be the root of many of the issues.   

I would word it differently - the older kit has the memory commonly used for such kit at its time and even today that kit works perfectly well with Sonos software from those times that was built to perform with that memory in place to serve it - and that is the S1 controller app/associated firmware. I use my 10+ units over 5 zones in S1 for music alone, no TV, and I don’t think I am losing anything in terms of listening experience compared to the S2 stuff. I am also spared from frequent updates and having read something about these issues, have now locked my S1 system out of even any further S1 updates.

The issues you refer to arise if you want the latest and greatest stuff for TV audio and are on S2 to get that, and I suppose these issues are the price the pay for that.