Question

Sonos recent iPad app uograde….gold icon replaced by black icon

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello all. User of Sonos products for over 10 years. Big fan. Is anyone having problems with unreliability of new app? My experience is that it is unreliable, does not show all content, music being played is not shown? Sometimes it all works…sometimes it does not. I am grateful I did not upgrade on my iPhone. Or Mac….hiwever I did hear Mac support is going away….another topic. Thanks everyone.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You’ve just scratched the surface of the issues. Welcome 🙏 look around the community lots of issues and missing feature are being discussed. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeah...it sure seems that way. Awful software mgt...they need to fix this or let people go back to old version. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yeah...it sure seems that way. Awful software mgt...they need to fix this or let people go back to old version. 

They say they will not be going back:

Sonos says its controversial app redesign took ‘courage’

/ 

The company hears what customers are saying but insists the new app was necessary — even if it’s ‘a few steps back’ for now because of missing features.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/9/24152675/sonos-new-app-bad-reviews-response-statement

Userlevel 2

You’re 100000% right - it’s pure trash

Userlevel 2

Auto update from Apple App Store, now cannot reconnect Sonos Beam G2 to TV, no matter what method is used/tried.  Also the app has not changed for the better, it has regressed, very cluttered and previous station list now seems somewhat reduced.  Operation is slow/clunky.  Does anyone know how to revert to previous, if that is possible.

What is happening...I own over a dozen Sonos products is 2 houses...nothing is working any more...need to re set everything...cannot find your product...who's idea was this? No warning, no instructions on what to do? Who can help please ...

Userlevel 2

Auto update from Apple App Store, now cannot reconnect Sonos Beam G2 to TV, no matter what method is used/tried.  Also the app has not changed for the better, it has regressed, very cluttered and previous station list now seems somewhat reduced.  Operation is slow/clunky.  Does anyone know how to revert to previous, if that is possible.

After spending 3 hours faffing around yesterday morning trying to reconnect our Beam to TV I came across a random post on internet by someone with same app issue as mine above.  

The poster had resolved the issue by turning off the main power supply to TV, Sonos Beam and Fetch TV Box, disconnected HDMI Arc cable from TV to Beam and unplugged power supply from rear of Fetch TV box.  

After waiting 5 mins the power supply to TV and Beam were turned on.  Once TV sound was deemed operational the HDMI Arc cable to Beam was plugged back into TV to reconnect Beam to TV.  Sound was restored to Beam and the app could used to switch between TV or music streamed from latest app.  

Power to Fetch TV box was then restored and TV reconnected to Fetch box.  Sound from TV was still being broadcast from Beam and controllable from new Sonos app.

Having nothing to loose I worked through the process described above and successfully reattached our Sonos Beam to the TV.  Can now use the new app to switch between TV and music streaming as needed.  

Hope the above is of use to others who have disconnected Sonos devices.  It may a matter of a total power off shutdown then a systematic restoration.  But on the other it may not be, given some of the situations I read about today.

This new app certainly needs work to get it up to speed as restoring my lost favourite stations was certainly not an easy task.

But how can this be acceptable.. without any warning without any instructions.. the app changes overnight.. no more connection.. I do not have the time, nor skills nor desire to crawl around my technical space in the house to start resetting all devices… I must have 15 Sonos devices I think...what is Sonos doing about this to help their customers fix this.. ??

How do i go back to the gold icon app?

I changed routers right after I upgraded to the new (black) Sonos 2 app.  My router found nearly all my previous wifi devices, including my old Sonos S1 devices.  But none of my other devices were recognized.  Sonos advised a factory reset, which I performed, but one of my Roams wouldn’t get "recognized."  (The other Roam did get recognized even before the factory reset, so I didn’t lose any information from my old setup.)

I read somewhere in this forum that others with the “orphan Roam” problem had deleted the new black app and then gone to the app store and downloaded it again.  I did this, even though the app store indicated that was was simply doing so from the cloud (I hadn’t deleted the black app from my other devices).  I fully expected to get the same version of the black app (ending in .04), but, no, the newly downloaded app was a newer version ending in .08!!  And I was immediately able to reintroduce my orphan Roam to my system

I noticed that my Sonos "system ID" under the .04 app version was “unidentified,” but under the reloaded .08 version, the “system ID” was a long number.  Maybe that explains part of the issue that people are having. I hope this helps others with the same problem.

Clearly, Sonos made a change to the new black app without acknowledging it (since my system update said my system was "up to date,” on my other iOS devices when I tested them before performing the same delete/download routine.  They changed from the .04 version to the .08 version, too.

Now, I’m having problems with the newest version handling “groups” properly.  I liked th old way groups were chosen.  The new way simply doesn’t work, and you have to keep selecting the speakers even when you switch groups.  Worse, the selections revert when you press "play.” Sonos needs to go back to the drawing board on this app update.

I have 5 sonos amps in my busy sports bar . I've been with sonos for over 10 yrs. It's been problem after problem . I'm switching to a jukebox