Answered

Sonos products vs Nest WiFi6 Pro

• 12 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Greetings, Has anyone had issues connecting Sonos products to the new Nest Google WiFi Pro mesh? Last week, I updated my Nest google WiFi mesh to their new Nest WiFi Pro mesh. I immediately started having issues with my Sonos system. Speakers were disconnecting unexpectly, especially the Era 300 and 100s. My arc now cuts in and out during TV play. I called Sonos support and we troubleshooted, but only temporary success. I’m going to switch back to the old mesh system.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 12 April 2024, 10:58

View original

2 replies

This earlier community thread appears to suggest there ‘might’ be a compatibility issue…

That said, part-way through the thread, there is also mention that Plume SuperPods may have a similar issue to Nest Pro, but just to briefly mention I’m currently using a Plume mesh setup and can only say I find it ‘rock solid’ with my own Sonos system and local network.

FWIW - In my own case, I do not wire any Sonos products, particularly to any Plume satellite nodes, which is somewhat frowned upon anyway with any mesh setup, particularly if the product invokes SonosNet (not all Sonos products do that nowadays). Some issues can be resolved by switching off the wired Sonos products WiFi adapter too, if there is ever a need to cable a device to a satellite AP (I can’t think of a reason though to do that🤔?)

Personally I choose to not cable, unless I plan to temporarily use SonosNet, in which case I only ever wire Sonos devices directly/indirectly to the primary Plume SuperPod/Router only. My ISP provided router is ‘bridged’, but I have also tested the Plume setup itself in ‘bridged-AP’ mode too and that works well with the ISP router aswell - So if your Nest Pro setup supports ‘bridged-AP’ mode, you could perhaps also give that a try before going back to your older Nest mesh WiFi system. 

Just to say too, I looked online and it appears Nest Pro does support ‘bridged-AP’ mode to an ISP provided or third-party router, so you can always go onto consider trying that as an option, rather than swapping back to your older setup. See this ‘example’ link..

https://blinqblinq.com/google-nest-wifi-bridge-mode/

I’d perhaps only go that route however when you’ve exhausted all options with the setup in NAT (standard) router mode.