Question

sonos desktop app update

• 16 May 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

In light of the disaster that is the new app, I opened my desktop app to see if that was still functional. Surprise surprise, there is an update required. Considering what a mess Sonos have made of the app, I don't have the confidence to update my desktop app. The trouble is, important features like library settings, update library etc, are greyed out, I assume, forcing me to update the app.  Sonos also seems to want me to add a password to the app as part of the update, which I don't see any value in doing so I'm stuck with a partially functioning product again unless I chance it, update the app & agree to this password thing.

Thoughts Sonos?

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Correction. Once I logged in to my account, the update was possible. I'm risking it because I want all the features working. I hope they haven't messed the desktop app up too

Userlevel 2
Badge

how did it work?

i’m in the same spot. my android phones are functionally dead for 90% of the sonos features and have no local library access for now. I hear the ipad and iphone people complaining about alarms and sleep while I can’t get access to my 10s of thousands of songs acquired and cataloged over a 50 year collection of music.

great. now I can’t update the local music libraries after doing some metadata cleanup with picard. what a *!!!

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

how did it work?

i’m in the same spot. my android phones are functionally dead for 90% of the sonos features and have no local library access for now. I hear the ipad and iphone people complaining about alarms and sleep while I can’t get access to my 10s of thousands of songs acquired and cataloged over a 50 year collection of music.

great. now I can’t update the local music libraries after doing some metadata cleanup with picard. what a *!!!

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

The desktop update actually seems to be ok. I just had to log in to my account online first. I made the mistake of looking at the web app version of the controller & that is as bad as the android app!

I have my library on the app still, it hides right at the top. I have to scroll up to see it 

I crossed my fingers, closed my eyes and accepted the update to the windows desktop app. Appears unchanged, thankfully. Full access to NAS drive and dynamic queue management is as before. Now I just have to figure out how to lug my desktop around the house until the iOS app is back to where it was…

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Likewise i fear to update the desktop App after the shambles of the iOS - and of course it’s now disabled features like update music library. I am so glad i updated my library to SMB2 yesterday (plus a IT workaround so my S1’s still work). I get you want us to update, i understand that support of old systems is a drag on company finances regards the cost of customer support. Just change your support policy. If you aren’t on latest you get no support - but why FORCE updates upon us by restricting functionality - that does work .. well I could access it yesterday, but not today.

Are there any other companies that even use the model of - we’ll cripple your exisiting software and system until you take the update you have decided we must use!!!!

There will no doubt be response from some that say - Apple do this - the big difference is that Apple updates work most  of the time; Sonos updates just kill systems!!

So many upset long term customers - i could pick up a Play 3 gen 1 on ebay for a bargain price right now, which would be nice to replace one of my S1 gen 1 …. but of course due to the new App i’d never be able to connect it to the rest of my Sonos kit!!!! (unless anyone knows how in a mixed S1/S2 seup and iOS App updated to the latest?)

What was a great piece of kit, ahead of it’s time is now the puppet of Amazon and Mr Bezos and doesn’t give a damn about it’s long term customers who made the company what it was!!!!!!!!!