Answered

router specs; will a lower graded 2.4 GHz affect Sonos connectivity?

• 10 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

My current WiFi router is several years old but was powerful when I got it, and I’m wondering if a new router might actually make my Sonos less stable.

The old/existing router is graded like this: 2.4 GHz 800 Mbps, 5GHz: 1,733Mbps. Since Sonos speakers use 2.4, will updating to this router make my Sonos less stable? The router I’m thinking of buying is graded as: 6 GHz: 2402 Mbps, 5 GHz: 2402 Mbps, 2.4 GHz: 574 Mbps?

The old one offers: a/b/g/n/ac and the new one: ax/n/b/g + ax/ac/n/a (+ax 6 GHz).

Why upgrade? The old router is perhaps five or six years old, and designed for Asia and Europe, not the USA. Its 5.G channels are 36-48 only, not channels like 165 and 136 that are best in my apartment. 

I have had constant channel interference issues with my 7 Sonos speakers, where they often disconnect from each other. I have changed channels on my router between 1,6,11 on 2.4 GHz and tried wired to router and not wired. 

Thoughts welcome thank you.

icon

Best answer by suburbaphobia1 12 March 2024, 14:04

View original

4 replies

Which SONOS speakers are you using?

Note that in wired mode SONOS ignores WiFi unless you are using AirPlay.

Badge

Thanks for the quick response “buzz.” I have both Sonos Play:1s and Play:3s. While I have tried wiring one of the Sonos Play:3s to my WiFi router, I don’t currently use that set up and use the items with WiFi only.

I primarily play music from Spotify. And I use the S2 Sonos app, rather than the Spotify app. (Mostly because Spotify’s app often doesn’t see my speakers.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Check your new router against this page and if it is supported it will work. The newer/better modes will perform better than the older/legacy modes.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

Your other issues sound network related, once on the new router give this link a look and you should be able to get something sorted out. The limited 2.4 GHz space can be an issue but usually somethong can be done to get reliable operation.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/improve-your-sonos-products-wifi-connection

Once you have done the self-help stuff above and tried solutions offered here, then if you still are having issues reaching out to Sonos Support is usually a good idea. Wait for the issue to happen, within a few minutes send in a diagnostic and note the number. Call Sonos support with it and they can examine internal data we users can not see.

Badge

Thanks for the advice. I’ve been through all these procedures many times. i choose a Google Nest Wifi Pro which so far is working better with Sonos than any connection I’ve had in the past, and I’m a major tinkerer with Sonos. Interestingly the Google item handles all the protocols itself. So far as I can tell there isn’t even a way to choose WiFi channels, which is fine with me so long as everything remains connected/linked as so far it has.