Quality not worth the Price

• 2 March 2021
  • 8 replies

I’ve never done this before, had a terrible experience and posted it. But this frustrated me and the lack of support was disgusting. If I wanted this type of quality I would have bought a Samsung or Sony box system for half the price. But no, we all bought Sonos because of the expected quality of the product. Here’s my experience, take from it what you want… For only two years I enjoyed the sound quality from my Sonos system only to find for absolutely no reason whatsoever last night, the Sub quit working... Strange right? it has been in the same place on the same settings since I bought it. All of a sudden, no lights, no power, nothing... Contacted support and ran through a bunch of troubleshooting options only to confirm, the sub power supply is dead. Wow, only after two years. I've never abused the system, the sub has always been in a well ventilated safe place - this must be a one off right? A faulty sub? Wrong!!! This is a very common problem, just search it in these message boards... Not usually after two years, but the sub eventually craps out. No big deal, Sonos will step up to the plate and support their product right? WRONG AGAIN!!!! Sorry sir, you need to replace it at a replacement fee of $530. I appreciate the discounted price, however, how can you possibly feel this is acceptable after only two years? The product was registered December 2018. For those who are contemplating adding a Sonos system to their home theater and checking these threads before you do, look elsewhere, save yourself a ton of money, these units are designed to fail after the warranty expires. They understand that the replacement value is still cheaper than replacing the entire system and the capitalize on it. Stay away, do not purchase Sonos, there are far more reputable companies that will stand behind their product. Sonos, you should be ashamed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Many people have has their subs for many, many years as well. Perhaps you may have small surges going through your outlets?

“this must be a one off right? A faulty sub? Wrong!!! This is a very common problem, just search it in these message boards. Not usually after two years, but the sub eventually craps out.”

I’m sorry you have had a bad experience, and i don’t refute that at all.  But there is no logic to your comment.  If your sample is those who have had problems and therefore come on a help forum, you are going to get a high proportion of ‘failures’.  On the whole, users don’t come onto here specifically to say, ‘hey, my Sub is still going after 5 years.  I’ll post back again next year to update you all’.

Edit: I take it back on further thought.  You are right.  Eventually, everyone’s Sub will ‘crap out’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Wonder if there will be another post from the op?  Or is this a grenade post. Two years is poor and if it were me I’d be appealing to Sonos to consider a better offer. 

Wonder if there will be another post from the op?  Or is this a grenade post. Two years is poor and if it were me I’d be appealing to Sonos to consider a better offer. 

Agreed.  I understand the dissatisfaction with the individual situation, but disagree with the OP’s conclusion that a few examples on here constitute a general quality problem.  All tech has a probability distribution of time to failure.

Sonos used to be fairly helpful with out-of-warranty cases, especially just-out-of-warranty.  I agree it is worth pursuing.

If it’s the power supply that’s gone wrong, then I’d suggest looking for an electronics repair company in Canada that should be able to repair or replace your power supply - and probably a lot cheaper than taking up the ‘generous’ offer from Sonos.

19joe80,

Assuming the Sub was purchased ‘new’ in Dec 2018 and you have evidence to support that (not just device registration, which really relates to when it was last setup from factory-reset), then perhaps quote the ‘service’ received by @squeeze1964 in the other thread where you posted your comments too and see if that perhaps brings about a different response from the sales team.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Every person has their own opinions and community forums are not meant to discredit ones experience. Each consumer is entitled to their own degree of expectation when purchasing items and these forums are meant to share thoughts. My post was clearly written out of frustration and I would render most consumers sharing the same experience as I had would be equally dissatisfied. Not by any stretch of the imagination do I expect electronics, or technology to last forever. But as I do, we all expect there to be a level of quality. I won’t get into commenting on all the “what if’s” and opinions posted here, but I wanted to let everyone know that I escalated this beyond customer care. I am pleased to share that Sonos support did step up and back their product. They have issued a replacement for the sub at no charge. I do believe in supporting brands and companies who go above and beyond. Rather than leave this tread to stew in negativity, I wanted to provide the feedback from Sonos and share that the issue has been resolved positively. I’m hoping this is a rare issue and looking forward to many more years with my system. Thanks and stay healthy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

That’s a great resolution for you, @19Joe80   And good on Sonos for re-considering the situation and responding so positively.