Here's the deal, invest in your software development because it blows

Userlevel 1

Sono CEO -

Your software is now breaking all of the time and unreliable.  Invest in your software development capability because if you don’t - you die. 

Easy, Reliable - “it just works” is what I expect.  Get there Sonos!  You are better than this! 

#long-time-Sonos customer/advocate/evangelist

Richard Hunter

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

If it’s network issues then they’re network issues that no wifi printer, streaming TV, phone, nest thermostat, iPad, Android tablet, or any of the zillions of devices on my home network suffer from. I did go over their their network connectivity page (this). There are lots of things I don’t know and I’m always looking to learn. But it was just the same boilerplate non-info as anywhere else.

Not a designer for Sonos, just a guy who feels shafted by their poor choices. But if what you’re describing is both cheaper and would work better then sounds like a win? 

I just want what I’m assuming is basic functionality… I connect the things to my phone and I can control them. The fact that this thread is so long sort of shows that they often don’t work that way.

26 posts is not “long”.  There once was an actual flaw in Sonos software that affected a single model, the Playbar.  That thread hit 100 pages in days, and spawned dozens of other threads on the issue.  That’s what it looks like when Sonos’ software actually has a flaw.  This is just another person who refuses to believe their network has problems.  We get them all the time.  Some listen to our advice and get fixed, others refuse and stomp off in a huff.  No skin off my nose. 

I’m all ears. What about my network could prevent the track from showing up on my lock screen? Seems to work fine on Tidal, Podcasts, Apple TV remote, etc.

Happy to do any network debugging or anything else.

I’m all ears. What about my network could prevent the track from showing up on my lock screen? Seems to work fine on Tidal, Podcasts, Apple TV remote, etc.

Happy to do any network debugging or anything else.

IP conflicts.  Unlike most connected devices, Sonos units need to communicate between each other hundreds of times a second in order to play in sync.  If your router gets wonky and loses its address table, it can hand out new IP’s that are already in use by current devices.  This isn’t going to affect a phone or computer, because most of the time you aren’t using both at the exact same time.  It will wreak havoc with Sonos, because Sonos’ design requires the controller to be talking to all devices at once.  If two devices have the same IP, stuff starts disappearing, or running slow, or not working at all.  

So, try this that I wrote on the first page:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note you can prevent this from happening again by reserving IP addresses for your Sonos devices in your router setup.  See your router manual for instructions.

If it’s network issues then they’re network issues that no wifi printer, streaming TV, phone, nest thermostat, iPad, Android tablet, or any of the zillions of devices on my home network suffer from. I did go over their their network connectivity page (this). There are lots of things I don’t know and I’m always looking to learn. But it was just the same boilerplate non-info as anywhere else.

Not a designer for Sonos, just a guy who feels shafted by their poor choices. But if what you’re describing is both cheaper and would work better then sounds like a win? 

I just want what I’m assuming is basic functionality… I connect the things to my phone and I can control them. The fact that this thread is so long sort of shows that they often don’t work that way.

None of the devices you listed are trying to get multiple devices playing in sync over your wireless network with very minimal buffering.    If your ‘streaming TV’ was trying to get the same video playing on multiple screens wirelessly in perferct sync without issue, you would have a point.

All my Sonos devices have fixed IPs in my DHCP server. Tip from reading these forums. They don’t play out of sync.

All my Sonos devices have fixed IPs in my DHCP server. Tip from reading these forums. They don’t play out of sync.

Are you using iOS devices as controllers?  If so, you may wish to read this: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2

So they don’t bother to try to support lock screen controls? Wow. Seems to be no sweat for every other app, so just underline’s OP’s original point.

trellos,

I am not seeing the spinner. To me, this indicates some sort of App or communication slowdown.

With respect to the SONOS lock screen: SONOS has indicated why the lock screen control has been eliminated. When I’m using the Spotify App to play through SONOS, the lock screen shows the current track and I can pause and skip, but I cannot adjust Volume.

With respect to adjusting Volume via the lock screen in a multi-room setup, which room should be adjusted? How could the lock screen know which room to adjust? I would be upset if someone else adjusted my room’s Volume.

Lock screen control is not something that I’ve used beyond kicking the tires. A service that would be useful to me would be automatic Mute or Volume reduction when I answer the phone. However, how would the phone know its current location? I don’t think that you would appreciate a kid’s phone muting your room.

On my Android, when playing through the Spotify App, while there is no Volume indicator on the lock screen, I can adjust Volume via the hard buttons. This not a useful feature because the response is to erratic. Response is never prompt and can lag by a second or two our simply be ignored.