Skip to main content
Question

Forced APP update following latest Desktop Controller update (Build 80155014)...

What on earth have you done now? My Windows Desktop Controller indicated an update and I carried this out and assume it’s made some firmware changes to my speakers and now I can no longer use S2 16.3 app as it just states this with no functionality: 

I have retained using the old app as IT ACTUALLY WORKED unlike your failed new 80 version.

HOW DO I CONTINUE USING MY SYSTEM AS I WANT TO WITHOUT LOSING ALL FUNCTIONALITY???

72 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I discovered that workaround when I was trying to solutionize an issue in May..

Here’s a question I have:

In my que of Move Speakers and Ports. looking at the Windows PC Controller

I have a Port (PH) which suddenly today started to show this needs an update…

I separately have in my Music Source list, for the last few days have had this 

Does this generate the same update that I should avoid? I hit the Port (PH) Update trying to avoid the Music Source Update and it read loading something “80.1” I believe and I quickly stopped it. So either update button generates the dreaded update to avoid??  Anyone have any idea before I commit?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I discovered that workaround when I was trying to solutionize an issue in May..

Here’s a question I have:

In my que of Move Speakers and Ports. looking at the Windows PC Controller

I have a Port (PH) which suddenly today started to show this needs an update…

I separately have in my Music Source list, for the last few days have had this 

Does this generate the same update that I should avoid? I hit the Port (PH) Update trying to avoid the Music Source Update and it read loading something “80.1” I believe and I quickly stopped it. So either update button generates the dreaded update to avoid??  Anyone have any idea before I commit?

Yes, I’m pretty sure it will update to 16.3 and the New App is numbered 80.?? - from what I’ve read so far it sounds like any firmware updates are only going to be delivered if you accept this forced move now. I thought I’d have a go contacting support via chat to try and see if they clarify if there was a way to roll back but they were adamant that this is now a universal update, ergo; accept the useless new app or *uck off!

If you do proceed you *might* be able to manage your system if you switch between the Desktop Controller (which, if not updated will need to be) and App as the former still seems to retain *some* of the features missing from the latter.

It’s an absolute *hit show all round… 🤬

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @tvjazzman and @Thomass, note the v16.3 crashes the current Android app for many of us …

… so do not update your firmware if you use the Android app and local library music.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @tvjazzman and @Thomass, note the v16.3 crashes the current Android app for many of us …

… so do not update your firmware if you use the Android app and local library music.

I’ve seen that too. It’s been okay for me but I don’t have a complicated system. I do note that it sometimes lags and takes quite a few seconds to *find* the system and the volume controls are frequently slow. The Desktop Controller seems fine, however.

I’m going to post another question soon though; since the update my Roam’s charging/discharging is degraded dramatically (it’s less than 4 months old - and was warranty replacement for my original which had completely died) - as I’ve changed nothing in the way I use the system I’m going to monitor it for a few days to see if it continues/gets worse.

My confidence in Sonos is now zero and have to say I’ll never buy another product and will advise anyone to steer clear.

Good news… access to my local music library works perfectly fine with latest Android app update (80.05.06-release+20240717.cbccdb2)... happily waiting for the next improvements to arrive.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So, bit the bullet and updated PC Windows Controller and, any item like my PORT that needed updating. First it said updating, then as per my experience for the last 4 years said “Update failed, try again” So I did and it said “No Update needed or available ( I forget which) I checked my PC controller and it had updated but all my choices under “Select a Music Source” where I had 45 plus internet stations and Library shortcuts were greyed out and not available. In addition, my streaming sources disappeared..

I rebooted and all came back but, still can’t access hard drive with 35K songs via Medial Library.

Once step forward two steps back..

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I also bit the bullet and updated my android app and my iPad app and am pleased to say that I can access my Nas based music library on both.  While there are still a few functions to be restored I can now search and play my own music. I found that I couldn't scan the library to update it which was a pain but I found that by updating my PC app to 16.3 I could use that to rescan and re-index my library as before. I'm a lot happier now as it all sounds great again. Just missing the album art on the android app and the ability to edit and clear the queue on ios and android but I can still do this using my PC app. Not ideal but getting there. Can someone tell me if Trueplay is working on the new app as I don't want to retune my main system and then find it doesn't sound as good.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I also bit the bullet and updated my android app and my iPad app and am pleased to say that I can access my Nas based music library on both.  While there are still a few functions to be restored I can now search and play my own music. I found that I couldn't scan the library to update it which was a pain but I found that by updating my PC app to 16.3 I could use that to rescan and re-index my library as before. I'm a lot happier now as it all sounds great again. Just missing the album art on the android app and the ability to edit and clear the queue on ios and android but I can still do this using my PC app. Not ideal but getting there. Can someone tell me if Trueplay is working on the new app as I don't want to retune my main system and then find it doesn't sound as good.

Jealous as I’ve spent the last hour trying to connect with no luck, thanks for the update and, will keep trying… something, anything… :(

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

One side question, if I reset my Windows Sonos PC controller in the app, do I lose any music sources, Internet radio Stations etc? Everything I have done and all updates still hasn’t provided me access to my Local Library and have turned off smb1 etc...

One side question, if I reset my Windows Sonos PC controller in the app, do I lose any music sources, Internet radio Stations etc? Everything I have done and all updates still hasn’t provided me access to my Local Library and have turned off smb1 etc...

None of that data is contained in the app(s).  It is all located in the Sonos hardware.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

thank you!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Updated Win 10 laptop to 16.3 several days ago and 'update music library' was enabled after being greyed in 16.1 and 16.2.

Updated after adding some ripped cds/downloading some purchased music from NAS and relabelled using mp3tag. All appears on Android app fine.

Can still see all my Sonos Playlists (combination of NAS/Amazon Unlimited) on Win 10 v. 16.3. Web app also shows Sonos Playlists if you extend the Sonos Favs and scroll down.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Updated Win 10 laptop to 16.3 several days ago and 'update music library' was enabled after being greyed in 16.1 and 16.2.

Updated after adding some ripped cds/downloading some purchased music from NAS and relabelled using mp3tag. All appears on Android app fine.

Can still see all my Sonos Playlists (combination of NAS/Amazon Unlimited) on Win 10 v. 16.3. Web app also shows Sonos Playlists if you extend the Sonos Favs and scroll down.

I wish I could sort what I have all that you have. I’m fully updated and I try to add Library and goes through loading and in the end doesn’t work. I verified it connected to the Library as I see the NAS lights a flashin but never completes. No smb1 confirmed smb2/3 definitely there…

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I didn't have to re attach my music library, it was picked up by the app after the update. Mines running on smb3. Not wishing to rub salt in your wounds but I've been happily listening to a selection of music from.my library for the last couple of hours. One thing I've noticed missing in the app is the indicator which showed whether it was playing hd or hi- res files. It shows atmos or dolby digital when playing movies.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

wow!  mine disappeared in May with the update… nothing else changed.. never to be found again.. thx!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I didn't have to re attach my music library, it was picked up by the app after the update. Mines running on smb3. Not wishing to rub salt in your wounds but I've been happily listening to a selection of music from.my library for the last couple of hours. One thing I've noticed missing in the app is the indicator which showed whether it was playing hd or hi- res files. It shows atmos or dolby digital when playing movies.

No hd/hi-res yet... to follow, perhaps when Sonos Playlists return with all album art etc... 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Soooo.. after pulling the last hairs  on my head I went back to square one and after failing everywhere, permissions, network settings etc and nothing changed, SUDDENLY my Library is there in full… All working and couldn’t begin to tell you why…  thanks all for your advice and help.. dropping off for a bit as have to get back to the rest of my life...

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I can’t find a big & bold enough font to way this…

Dear SONOS, PLEASE, fix this A.S.A.P, before anything else: AT LEAST LET US USE THE OLD VERSIONs THAT ARE STILL (almost) WORKING !!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

And, Just Like That… First Sonos dropped selected speakers (all Moves) in the house, then it dropped selected speakers from the speaker list. THEN it started burping “can’t find selected song” from a playlist or album etc”  SO I closed it, then only had 2 speakers of 8 and couldn’t join them even to make a party mode play. So closed it all dejected, came back ½ hour later, they’re all back but can’t play any tunes as Sonos can’t find them though the Library exists…   sigh...

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

And, Just Like That… First Sonos dropped selected speakers (all Moves) in the house, then it dropped selected speakers from the speaker list. THEN it started burping “can’t find selected song” from a playlist or album etc”  SO I closed it, then only had 2 speakers of 8 and couldn’t join them even to make a party mode play. So closed it all dejected, came back ½ hour later, they’re all back but can’t play any tunes as Sonos can’t find them though the Library exists…   sigh...

I am finding that menus for adding/replacing/playing next etc are dropping then returning for Amazon Unlimited on the app. Other sporadic losses then returns in switching rooms etc. Just flaky and as we've seen small incremental changes (I seen a post that mentions late August for next library improvements, but can't see anything on Sonos website) 

Have you tried web app? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I am finding that menus for adding/replacing/playing next etc are dropping then returning for Amazon Unlimited on the app. Other sporadic losses then returns in switching rooms etc. Just flaky and as we've seen small incremental changes (I seen a post that mentions late August for next library improvements, but can't see anything on Sonos website) 

Have you tried web app? 

B33Jay, I haven’t yet, as I hop between an amazon fire tablet (android) version, my iPhone version, my Win 10 PC controller (where all this started to happen) and a great looking but I haven’t gotten there yet to use Win 11 version. I was soo impressed with whatever voodoo I had done and it played a whole album worth of music, then flaked..  Well at least the Library entry hasn’t disappeared.. I checked everything I had before (and hadn’t changed) including wifi speed (300 mbps) and all checks out. I think I’m going to count my blessings for now (an actual Library entry) and go so something else with my life for now.. thanks for the August update...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

B33Jay , et al, did I mention that my Local Library disappeared and can’t get it back. Have done everything, rebooted everything and still can’t find it. But Plex found it, Mp3tag found it, heck I can jump to it in a heart beat and load and grab what I need AND Sonos found it, and then poof, it was gone…

Before May this was solid as a rock..