Answered

Where has the Apple Watch functionality gone.

Userlevel 1
The Sonos AP was so easy to use, choose the rooms, choose the music and play. Then using my Apple Watch or the phone lock screen you could, pause, play, change tracks, change volume. Instant control with minimal effort.
New AP update arrived and it’s now a real pain as it now involves have getting the phone out, go through the unlock process, find and open the AP just to change volume. This is such a backward step in functionality and disappointing.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 12 July 2018, 16:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Apple Watch functionality you were using is a part of Apple lock screen control Unless you have an airplay 2 compatible Sonos unit the lock screen control no longer functions.

Best bet if that is the case is to get a third party app like sonobit for your watch (will actually give you additional functionality beyond the lock screen control tools you were using)
Userlevel 1
Unfortunately the 15 Sonos speakers which I purchase last year are not airplay2 compatible, thanks for advice but shame SONOS have taken this functionality away and are relying on 3rd party’s to fill gap. If I knew this wouldn’t work with going forward I probably wouldn’t have invested £3.3k on Sonos hardware with such limited functional life.
Any idea how I could downgrade my whole system software so it works better?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It’s not like they wanted to take away but they have to play by Apple rules. As said though apps like Sonosbit will give you better functionality anyhow.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They added a lot more than was taken away. If you get an airolay2 compatible Sonos it will come back. It’s apple isssues with their locking down of the lock screen. It’s always been a rather hack to get it to work because of Apple. Get sonosbit or other such Sonos watch app and be happy.
Userlevel 1
Cheers I’ll give it a go although I’ll see if there is anyway to downgrade my speaker software first.

I take it the other apps don’t play by the Apple Rules?

I would get another speaker but as I’ve already flooded the house with playbars, play1s and play3s it would mean binning speaker to replace it and I don’t want to do that on a yearly basis.
Userlevel 1
Not able to downgrade software once it’s installed. Gives me an excuse to try the HomePod, goodbye Sonos hello Apple....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That’s going to cost you a whole lot more than $3 for the app. Plus adding a Sonosone which is airplay2 like HomePod gives you lock screen anyhow. A little bit of drama over minor issue.
Apple Watch functionality you were using is a part of Apple lock screen control Unless you have an airplay 2 compatible Sonos unit the lock screen control no longer functions.

Chris, I'm not sure this is 100% accurate. From Ryan's announcement post...

It will no longer be possible to control your Sonos system from the lock screen of your iPhone or iPad, including the use of the hard volume buttons from the lock screen if you have any AirPlay-capable non-Sonos devices in your household with AirPlay enabled. It is still possible to use hard volume buttons from within the Sonos App.

So if I'm reading this correct, @Williamsweb probably has an AppleTV or something that currently has airplay enabled. If airplay is disabled on that device (I assume through settings), the lock screen controls should return? I could be completely misunderstanding how this works.

All that said, if @Willamsweb wants to use airplay with AppleTV, then it's not a solution.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Danny, that’s really useful, I suspect it’s the Sky Q’s I’ll have a look tonight and thanks again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
But I was under impression if you have Sonos airplayndevice you will get it back.
Userlevel 1
Hi Danny, your a star. I got my spouse to disable the AirPlay on the Sky Qs, restart the Sonos AP and it all works fine again with both the Lock Screen and watch.
Glad it worked! Chris's advice is still good though. if you ever want to start using airplay on your Sky Qs, you might want to give sonosbit a try.
I’m sorry for the possibly obvious question - what does AP stand for?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think he meant app
I have a SONOS BEAM and One, along with 2 Apple TV's (4th and 5th Gen). I still however do not see SONOS music control functions on my iOS lock screen or Apple watch. If I am reading the Post from Chris correctly, do I need to disable Airplay on my Apple TV's to get the SONOS functionality back?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I believe that is what some are saying. Personally I think the lock control is very limited and would pay a few dollars and download sonobit. Much more full function watch remote for Sonos - can even switch rooms etc. worth every penny and less hassle then the Apple lock screen workarounds.
I believe that is what some are saying. Personally I think the lock control is very limited and would pay a few dollars and download sonobit. Much more full function watch remote for Sonos - can even switch rooms etc. worth every penny and less hassle then the Apple lock screen workarounds.

Thanks Chris, getting sonobit right now.
Request: can Sonos please add a widget for iOS?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you tried the various ones available in App Store. I’m sure with the new api we will see even more. Sonos is leaving that to third parties.