SONOS Wall Switches Wanted

• 7 March 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge
Using SONOS to control existing in-wall speakers throughout a house.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge
I have an existing setup throughout my house were several rooms have in-wall speakers driven by a single source. Each room has wall switches to control the volume. I would love for SONOS to produce a replacement wall switch as a companion to the Connect:AMP. I could drive the whole system from the Connect:AMP but control each room's volume independently with the SONOS app.
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/xpress-audio-keypad.html
jgatie; that won't work for what he wants. He wants to setup one sonos zone (connect:amp) but several volume controlled 'sub-zones' underneath it, all controlled from the Sonos app. Such functionality doesn't exist. Not much of a chance that it ever with either.
Badge
@jgatie This appears to be a wireless controller for a SONOS device. I need something that will replace a wired (speaker wire) wall switch so I can independently control audio in each room. Ideally I would be able to create a room for each switch in the SONOS app and independently control the volume for each room. With the Connect:AMP setup I can turn the volume up and down for the whole house but have to use the hard wired switch for each room.
I'm just going to reply here instead of your other two threads on the topic. I completely get why you're looking for this switch. If Sonos made such a thing, I would be buying it to. I have a connect:amp powering 3 sets of speakers and would love to control the volumes separately through the sonos app. Here's why I have no hope for this.

1 - It's unlikely to be a high volume seller. Although they do have customers like you and me, I don't think Sonos sells much connect:amps in comparison to their other products, and this product would only work in conjuction with a connect:amp.

2 - It would cut into the sale of connect:amps. For my case for example, instead of potentially buying a second connect:amp, I would just buy this sonos switch.

3 - It means a rather larger software design. They would have to create a sub-zone entity that has to play the audio from what ever zone it's under, but can change the volume. Since that doesn't exist, they have to create it, make it controllable from APIs, including Alexa and future voice assistance. That's a major undertaking.

4 - It's going to confuse customers. It's difficult to understand that you can group zone A with zone B, but you can't group zone B with zone C1 (a sub-zone). Sonos wants to try and keep things simple and easy to use for customers. Sure, there are a lot of us out there that are ok with complex, but most customers want it to be simple.

Again, I see your need and would use such a product myself, but I'm not holding my breath for it.
Badge
Thought about several Connect:AMPs but it would be a huge undertaking from a home improvement standpoint to get them all wired. Easier to buy stand alone SONOS speakers. To your point, that's what they want me to do!