Sonos Controller *hosed* w/ iOS 11.4.1 beta 4 (15G5074a)

Userlevel 1
Badge
So hardware buttons and lock screen no longer work.

I've uninstalled the app, reset the controller, and still nothing.

Audio buttons only control the phone - or nothing at all.
No lock screen anything.

Why does this seem to happen with 80% of iOS builds? Is Apple freezing out Sonos, or has Sonos engineering just failed?
(see v8.6 update debacle)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Update - there is a bug in Podcasts.

Even after exiting Podcasts (app), rebooting, etc. it is still "active" and commandeers the app until you go in and exit two times.
That's the matter with betas, they sometimes appear to be buggy. Try and install the public iOS 12 beta instead or revert to the official v11.4 release.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Try and install the public iOS 12 beta instead or revert to the official v11.4 release.
Sonos only supports public "gold" releases of iOS software. If the issue persists after reverting to the most recent non-beta iOS build, we are happy to take a closer look.
Userlevel 1
Badge
My sincere apologies - I've had issues with iOS release software (same thing - hardware buttons do not work).
So sorry.. 😞
Beta builds often do not work as expected. Do you know how to revert to v11.4?

https://beta.apple.com/sp/en/betaprogram/unenroll#ios

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203282#nonbeta
Userlevel 1
Badge
Beta builds often do not work as expected. Do you know how to revert to v11.4?

Part 1 - and often Sonos *RELEASE* builds don't work as expected. Do you know how to get Sonos engineering to release software which isn't broken or doesn't BRICK my entire home system because it's untested?

Part 2 - it's not your position to ask me how to revert. I'm not an imbecile.
Part 1 - and often Sonos *RELEASE* builds don't work as expected. Do you know how to get Sonos engineering to release software which isn't broken or doesn't BRICK my entire home system because it's untested?
How do you know it's untested? Because you never have been invited to any beta program?
Userlevel 1
Badge

How do you know it's untested? Because you never have been invited to any beta program?

Open the flood gates.
This has nothing to do with "invited to any beta program". That was an infantile comment.

This has 100% to do with Sonos code and service quality.
As a Sonos owner for over 10 years, the v8.5 iOS release (cloud delivery) took out my entire Sonos network. How did that beta process go?

Going back further, I've had at least four software releases - two iOS and two PC/Windows - which had crashes (upon upgrade or application launch) and functionality issues (like, for instance, the failure of hardware buttons to operate - which Sonos acknowledged in support cases). So I guess those fancy beta testers missed some stuff, huh?

Finally, Sonos-SiriusXM and Sonos-Amazon Music issues (again, confirmed) have been a problem. 10-15 round-trip discussions with support until it gets escalated and confirmed ("uh, yeah, we know about that - can you send us a stack trace?").

But, finally, I've been an official Windows beta tester since 1993. So, um, I know how beta programs work, bruh.
I don’t know if I agree with the sentiment about the Sonos engineers here, but I am also the proud owner of an iOS device that can’t change the volume on his Sonos system anymore. In fact, when I’m in the app and I hit volume up (hardware) my volume goes down one notch.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I don’t know if I agree with the sentiment about the Sonos engineers here, but I am also the proud owner of an iOS device that can’t change the volume on his Sonos system anymore. In fact, when I’m in the app and I hit volume up (hardware) my volume goes down one notch.

Confirming that it does work - when my issue was it didn't - doesn't help.
I might suggest that it does add another data point, pointing to another potential issue than simply the unsupported Apple beta release.

Confirming that it does work - when my issue was it didn't - doesn't help.

I’m confused. I was simply saying that my hardware controls are also not working. They lower the volume once and then they become completely unresponsive. Both in app and on locked screen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello, lindros2, regardless of your experience with any Beta programs, what other users were trying to tell you is that if the application still does not function once you have reverted to a non-Beta version of iOS, please let us know. Until then, there is little we can do to assist. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, jonathan.hatch. I hear you, clearly your issue is slightly different. I deduce that you are Not running a Beta version of iOS? Please check this article. Let us know how this goes. Thank you!
Userlevel 1
Badge
So maybe my problem was NOT just a beta thing, and actually some code which hinted at this?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3381?language=en_US
Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m confused. I was simply saying that my hardware controls are also not working. They lower the volume once and then they become completely unresponsive. Both in app and on locked screen.

Sorry - I misunderstood.