Question

Sonos Controller for iMac not working

• 11 November 2017
  • 9 replies

Controller for Sonos on my iMac has just suddenly stopped working. It won't connect to my Sonos system. I have reset the controller, deleted the controller and reinstalled, reset my router and checked the firewall settings based on Sonos recommendations and yet it still will not connect to my Sonos system. I just get the message as seen in the attachment. When I deleted the controller and reinstalled, I set it up to connect to my existing system, however, it couldn't find it. So I did what it said and pressed the two buttons on top of my nearest Play5 and it came up with a tick that it was now connected, but then when I pressed OK, it just went back to the same screen as per the attachment. It will not connect. Any thoughts? FWIW, the iPhone app controller is working just fine.
I am using OS X EI Capitan Version 10.11.6 and I believe my Sonos system is on the latest software as well.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I can't help with this one, but I'm having the exact same trouble - app on phone and iPad works fine. I cannot get the mac controller to connect at all, tried reinstalling etc but no joy. I noticed this after upgrading to OS High Sierra 10.13.1.
Nice to hear it is not just me. Are there any Sonos people out there who can help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello and welcome rossco18uk & Grumpy_Bruno: Would you both please submit a diagnostic report from a device that can access your Sonos system? Be sure to reply with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end. I will be happy to take a look at whats happening. Additionally, please let me know about your local networks. What is the make and model of the router you are using? Do you have any switches, wireless extenders or access points? Thanks.

We did just release a new update and I am curious to find out if after the update this issue persists.
I have very similar problem, My daughters iPhone, my macbook pro my wife iPad all work...But my iMac which used to work, will not find anything even after remove and re install. Changes to firewall did diddly squat to help either. help please.
I have submitted diagnostic 8102100 if that helps.
Hello and welcome rossco18uk & Grumpy_Bruno: Would you both please submit a diagnostic report from a device that can access your Sonos system? Be sure to reply with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end. I will be happy to take a look at whats happening. Additionally, please let me know about your local networks. What is the make and model of the router you are using? Do you have any switches, wireless extenders or access points? Thanks.

We did just release a new update and I am curious to find out if after the update this issue persists.

Hi Keith,

I have done as asked. I sent a diagnostics report from my iPhone Sonos App (which IS working) and the number is 8104198. The iMac controller is still NOT working even after I updated my system yesterday morning. The router I am using is a SKY router, SKY HUB 2 SR102. We have a couple of Devolo Wifi extenders, but we have had them for years and never had an issue with the Sonos, so would be surprised if they are the issue. Also, FWIW, the iMac is right next to the SKY router.

Thanks.
Same issue here. Asus RT-AC68U Dual Band with all devices on 2.4Gb. Just downloaded the latest OS X controller. It searches for a while, tells me that it connected, and then defaults to the same window in the screen grab rossco submitted. Running 10.11.6 El Capitan on the iMac.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, martinmc999. Thanks for the diagnostic and for posting to the Community. Sounds like you may need to take a look at your Mac sharing permissions. Our technicians can help get you situated. Please give our team a call and we can set up a remote session to get your Mac working with Sonos. Our contact information can be found here.

rossco18uk: Thanks for the updated diagnostic report. At this point, it may be best to give our technicians a call. This report doesn't show any interference in the connection to the network. We will want to get a technician to take a look at this in real time to understand where the disconnect is between your Mac and Sonos. You can find our contact information here.

Hello Hothead. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Do you have any devices plugged directly into the router using an Ethernet cable? If not, please do so and let us know if Sonos comes back. If it does, we will want to submit a diagnostic report to see what is going on. Be sure to reply with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end.
Do you have any devices plugged directly into the router using an Ethernet cable? If not, please do so and let us know if Sonos comes back.

I assume you mean Sonos devices? You want me to plug the Sonos into the router with an ethernet cable and see what happens? I will give that a try when I am back in town. Thanks!