Sonos automatically starts playing.

• 25 October 2013
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
When I'm not using the Sonos, i.e. it is not playing music from any source, the Sonos will start playing the sound from the computer, Mac Mini, whenever I start playing a YouTube video or start a song in iTunes. When this happens I have not done anything to start up Sonos! This seems to happen anytime there is a period of silence and then the sound starts. It is a problem as there are times that I just want the sound local to the computer and not go over Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Thomas,

It sounds like you have Autoplay turned on for the Line-In. This FAQ has directions on how to turn on the Autoplay for the PLAY:5, the directs are the same for other units which have a line in.

If you're using a PLAYBAR the Autoplay is automatically turned on, and you can turn it off in TV Settings.

Cheers.
I realise this is an old thread, but I just started having a similar issue yesterday!

Amazon Echo Dot plugged into Play:5 with Line In, set to auto-switch to line-in
Stopped music playing and went to bed, twice during the night, Sonos automatically started playing again!

Amazon Echo confirms no commands were sent after 7pm or before 7am (I don't think there's a 'history' for the Sonos..)

Any ideas what could cause Sonos to automatically start playing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Se99jmk, what music started playing on the PLAY:5? Was it the line-in that turned on or was it music from somewhere else?

If it was the last music you had played in the Sonos queue or last played on the unit in general, is it possible the play/pause button was pressed? This could have been done from a pet perhaps.

Next time this happens, can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number? The player does have some logs about what started it playing, but if it was just the line-in, all it'll say is that the line-in received audio and turned on.