Question

Sonos App for Apple TV 4th Gen

• 24 December 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge
I am curious if anyone else has this question. I am wondering if Sonos is thinking of making an App for the AppleTV to control the system...not to play from...but more like the app for the devices.

Reason I ask is it would be cool, I think, to be able to display what is playing on the playbar with the tv and maybe advance to the next song or maybe even pick a different service to play...obviously this is only for music.

Just curious, I personally think it would be popular.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Sonos provide apps to use Sonos equipment. Apple provide apps to control Apple devices.
What have Apple said to you when you contacted them asking why the Sonos app is not available on the Apple TV?
BoredofBalham - are you still using the CR controllers? Well hold onto your hat... this is going to blow your mind as I've got some news for you. I control my Sonos system from my iPhone made by Apple and an iPad made by Apple. Sonos made both the apps for those devices. What makes you think that other Apple devices can not be used for this especially as the ATV4 apps can be made by anyone. Do you think that I have used as much sarcasm as you when replying.

I actually agree that an ATV app would be cool for displaying rich album art at parties but I do not think I would use it for control.
Actually, thinking about this more, it would be really useful in everyday use to see the queue, album art or what's up next. I have a few ATV's so think I would use it quite often. There are quite a few threads on this but I don't expect it is on the Sonos roadmap.

Also still interested why 'BoB' thinks the OP should contact Apple.
Badge
Sonos provide apps to use Sonos equipment. Apple provide apps to control Apple devices.
What have Apple said to you when you contacted them asking why the Sonos app is not available on the Apple TV?

I haven't contacted Apple about this as Sonos would be developing the app! I have Apple laptops, iPhones, iPads iPods that all control my Sonos system...no Sonos controllers themselves. I think it would be really cool to display what is playing in a grouped zone involving my playbar!
Bump on this. I love using my Apple TV as a media controller but sadly if I use Apple Music on the device it’s not able to take advantage of My Systems full soundscape as Apple Music only outputs stereo natively so no sub or surrounds. That sucks, the Apple TV is a perfect controller for Sonos especially if you connect the remote as well