Answered

My Sonos has been hacked - Pewdiepie

• 6 December 2018
  • 21 replies

I'm not a techie person and my Sonos has been hacked - playing someone else music with a scrolling message telling me to subscribe to Pewpiedie and to secure my system: any help???
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 6 December 2018, 22:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi jdcseattle,

Would you mind submitting a diagnostic from your system so we can get a closer look? Can you please follow the directions here and let us know the number that comes up? It's possible that your players aren't behind a router or are accessible to the internet due to a misconfiguration or unusual setup.
Done. #1872225318. Thanks.
I just experienced the same Pewdiepie hack in Seattle this morning. Diagnostics submitted #134042618.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks jdcseattle, it looks like your home network is misconfigured, putting all of your devices public. To get this resolved quickest, we'd be happy to work with you over the phone. I'll be sending you a private message in a moment to follow up. Let's continue there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@hunterpollitt, your network is also similarly misconfigured. I'll be sending you a private message to follow up as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
In case anyone finds this thread with a search, we've published an announcement on the topic here. This is the result of a prank, made possible by misconfigured networks.

To make sure you're not vulnerable, we encourage all Sonos users to follow best practices for securing home networks and to turn on automatic updates. Best practices include securing home networks with unique passwords on routers and wireless networks, turning on firewalls, and ensuring caution when making internal devices publicly available, such as through port forwarding or another protocol.
any resolution here? Sonos phone help tells me it's my ISP's problem??
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Did you read the post (now) above yours? It may have been made while you were posting.
I’m having the same issue can anyone help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Contact Sonos support and they can help. The twitter and facebook options are staffed 24x7, phones are open (check the contact page for your area) weekdays or you can hope your post is seen here before sometime Monday.

They aren't giving out public answers that I have seen but I'd bet if you fixed your network so your Sonos gear wasn't exposed to the Internet and powered everything down at once and then brought it back up one at a time it would stop.
All, in case it helps further: I had my router password protected, but it was configured in such a way so that: a) it was acting as bridge and not a standard router; and, so b) all of my devices were set up with public IP addresses, instead of private ones - so, essentially, anyone could get to my attached devises (and did). Sonos team was incredibly responsive and helpful in helping me identify my problem.
i have been awake sins 2.30 am and I have been looking at countless pages and threads on the internet. I really need someones help. there are constantly Neonazi's coming through my speakers saying the weirdest stuff ever. with creepy and eerie background sounds. I've finally managed to get it of but I remain with ringing in my ears. I'm losing my mind and just want to jump out of the window.

I looked at the diagnostics number thing a couple of times and so one of those number is 1391570996

please help me figure this thing out.
i barely know what an internet is. let alone I understand anything of these Racist American people waking me up at night. somehow I've always felt unsafe at home. as if there are constantly people there.
... on my computer
... my internet.
... next to me in bed.

I'm losing my mind
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
see my reply to your other topic
Hi RyanS, we also get the same email and believe our system has also been hacked. But after checking the settings it appear our router is configured correctly. Could you please see from your end if our devices are hidden or visible?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi, I'm happy to look into it, but to get this resolved fastest, a call to our support line might be best. To get started here, would you mind following the steps here to submit a diagnostic and let me know the number?

We also have some starting suggestions here for making sure your Sonos devices are behind your router on a private network and not exposed.
The number is 2117194803
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks. Looks like you have a Sonos One that's being given a public IP address and is vulnerable. I noticed you have an Apple router, can you check in Airport utility that the router isn't set in Bridge mode? It should be providing DHCP.
Yes - I misread it. It said Off (Bridge Mode) which i misread as Bridge Mode being off. Now set to DHCP.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great, that should do the trick. If you check under About Sonos, you should see local IP addresses, probably starting with 10.0.0.xxx.
Ack - now the app wont detect the Sonos!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
You may need to reboot your Sonos devices, and maybe other networked devices. And toggle wifi off and back on for the phone.