Answered

Multiple users?

• 13 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Hey, 

Just bought a Sonos speaker for my daughter and I, but she set it up, and now when I connect to the speaker, under "my Sonos" all her favorit channels are shown on my device as well. 

Can we some how have our own "my Sonos" (one for each of us) or are we bound to have to mix our preferences and my daughter and I to have no privacy in choice of podcasts and music? 

Thank you all in advance.

icon

Best answer by bockersjv 13 January 2020, 21:45

The only way to do this is to set it up on a different Wi-fi network. This is a feature that many people like, myself included. It’s fundamental to how Sonos works so can’t see it changing soon. 

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

The only way to do this is to set it up on a different Wi-fi network. This is a feature that many people like, myself included. It’s fundamental to how Sonos works so can’t see it changing soon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Bockersjv is correct, though there are a few missing thoughts. A single Sonos system is fairly controller agnostic, the “My Sonos” is a shared space, shown by all controllers and it reflects the information on the speakers. There isn’t a way to have one system with multiple Sonos accounts linked to it. I’ll pass along that as a request to the development team for you though.

You can have multiple music services added, and either controller would be able to control each of the music services. So if you both have a Spotify account, you could each just use your own account on the system, but you’d both be able to see each other’s.

What Bockersjv mentioned at the beginning of his comment is that you could set up two systems, each on a different wireless network. Then, you each could have your own Sonos setup, with specific speakers for each wireless. This would give you the privacy you mentioned, but it also would limit what you could use together. For example, you couldn’t group speakers on different systems together to play the same thing at the same time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Some of the streaming services allow you to cast from the services own app directly to Sonos speakers.  So for example, if you each had your own Spotify accounts, You could use your Spotify app to select music choices then press the button to cast the music to the Sonos speaker instead of playing on your phone.  You would not see any of your daughter’s Spotify settings.  Your daughter could do likewise.

I say this in theory though as I don’t have 2 accounts with the same streaming service in my household (yet).  I have done casting from Amazon music, SiriusXM, and Pandora though, so I don’t see why this would work.