Issue with Music Library update in latest software update?

• 20 December 2021
  • 50 replies

My Music Library is refusing to update, on both scheduled and manually triggered.

This seems relatively recent. When I trigger a manual update, it says that my NAS drive is no longer available, despite it being able to browse and play music from it.

This is effecting all installs of my controllers, on Mac, PC, Amazon Kindle and Android Phone. I’ve got multiple Play:1, a Play: 3, and Connect and a Beam connected to the network.

I had thought about removing and trying to add the device again, but I’m concerned that it will just not find it.

Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

hi @SD6UnderCover I suggest to review your music library settings and check if the folders paths are still valid - if necessary you should remove the existing (i.e. invalid path) and add a new path - before adding the path, check it on your Mac or PC and make sure you have an account with read access to the music tracks 

Folder paths are still valid - I can still browse and play music from the network drive, it’s just saying it isn’t there when I try to update the library

Are you using the latest Sonos App version (13.4.1) and can you disclose which NAS you are using?

Folder paths are still valid - I can still browse and play music from the network drive, it’s just saying it isn’t there when I try to update the library

I would take the plunge and remove the library and re-add it again as you have nothing to lose, if it isn’t working for you anyway.

Maybe also power off/on the speaker/device shown as the ‘associated product’ in your Sonos App about box before doing the indexing.

Am on 13.4.1 throughout, and I’m using an old WD MyBookLive for NAS

I removed the network share and tried to add it back in - the Controller accepts the ‘new’ connection, start to index the Library, but then errors after a few seconds saying it no longer exists, which it does

Am on 13.4.1 throughout, and I’m using an old WD MyBookLive for NAS

I removed the network share and tried to add it back in - the Controller accepts the ‘new’ connection, start to index the Library, but then errors after a few seconds saying it no longer exists, which it does

What version of SMB is the library share running on and is the share password protected? Check your NAS settings and set the credentials to the same username/password when you add the Shared library to the Sonos system. Did you restart the ‘associated player’ after removing the share earlier? Maybe try a different device too (just power off the current associated player temporarily). See if that sorts it.

Userlevel 1

Hi, I have exactly the  same issue as you. My Sonos5 has worked perfectly fine with my ancient WDMyBookLive for 12 months and then last week suddenly stopped updating the library. Like you I was able to play the music already in my library but not add new music. In desperation I deleted the path to my shared folder on the NAS. I then lost my library on my Sonas app S2. I wasn’t too concerned as my music was still in my public shared music folder. I kept typing the path to my NAS music folder in the Sonos App Music Library Setup field, but just kept getting a message that the folder was ‘no longer avaiable’. I now had no music available in my Sonos app library. I phoned Sonos support, and spoke to a couple of very helpful people who remotely accessed my PC to gain access to my MyBookLive settings. After about 2 hours in my PC and the MyBookLive they were unable to resolve theissue as the options available via the WD interface are so limited. They advised me to contact WD support. I’ve sent them an e-mail but had no response so far.

I still had no music. I then went into the MyBookLive user interface, and in the ‘shares’ section set up a new folder called music and put a few traxks in it. I typed the pathway into to my Sonos app and clicked the update music index now, and hurrah, the music in the new folder was indexed to my Sonos. I was euphoric. Today, added some new music to the new music folder, and clicked the update music index now in the Sonos app AND…… ‘folder is no longer available’!!!!!!!!! I could pull my hair out!

I’ve given up. I have a couple of hundred tracks in my new NAS folder but can’t add anymore. I can listen to some music on Sonos radio. I’m now trying to figure out which replacement NAS to buy. 

It’s just spooky that both our MyBookLives have suddenly stopped living with our Sonos devices. 

Same problem here, but my music library is on an external drive connected to my Netgear router by USB. To see if this was a wi-fi issue I tried plugging a Sonos device directly into the router and creating a Sonos net. No difference. This problem was caused by the most recent software update. Please fix this, Sonos.

Same problem here, but my music library is on an external drive connected to my Netgear router by USB. To see if this was a wi-fi issue I tried plugging a Sonos device directly into the router and creating a Sonos net. No difference. This problem was caused by the most recent software update. Please fix this, Sonos.

Did you try removing the library completely from within the Sonos App and then setting up the share again via the router interface, perhaps this time using SMBv2 or higher, (if supported by the router) and then try linking the Sonos App back to the shared library path again (after a router reboot) - I’m just wondering if doing that might fix things?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I suspect something rotten with 13.4.1, 

Did you try removing the library completely from within the Sonos App and then setting up the share again via the router interface, perhaps this time using SMBv2 or higher, (if supported by the router) and then try linking the Sonos App back to the shared library path again (after a router reboot) - I’m just wondering if doing that might fix things?

I did remove the entire library - and then couldn’t replace it! I’ve been able to get some of it back by dividing it into smaller folders. Some folders are accepted by Sonos, the rest are “no longer available”. Router reboots make no difference. And no, my router doesn’t support SMB v2. My current router arrangement has been working fine for the last six years, and there have been no recent updates to the router firmware. I really do think this is a Sonos issue.

I suspect something rotten with 13.4.1, 

There are quite a few different versions of the SMB protocol, as shown in this summary-list taken from my NAS server… it appears Sonos may currently support upto v3.0 from their recent announcement and from my own ‘initial’ testing here. I’m thinking that there maybe an issue for those who have their shares set at a higher version of the protocol, but this is just a guess on my part.

Maybe try setting the SMB version to 3.0 or lower on the server and see if that ‘perhaps’ resolves any issues seen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Maybe try setting the SMB version to 3.0 or lower on the server and see if that ‘perhaps’ resolves any issues seen.

On a My Cloud Home there is no configuration panel, so nothing to configure.

I did remove the entire library - and then couldn’t replace it! I’ve been able to get some of it back by dividing it into smaller folders. Some folders are accepted by Sonos, the rest are “no longer available”. Router reboots make no difference. And no, my router doesn’t support SMB v2. My current router arrangement has been working fine for the last six years, and there have been no recent updates to the router firmware. I really do think this is a Sonos issue.

Maybe… but the library share is working okay here for me and many others appear to have it working too, so the suggestions are worth exploring perhaps …and if still no joy, then it’s maybe worthwhile speaking with Sonos Support Staff direct via this LINK to see if they can assist.

On a My Cloud Home there is no configuration panel, so nothing to configure.

I don’t know your particular server, but are there no official add-ons, or 3rd-party plug-ins, that may support the configuration of the local shares?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I don’t know your particular server, but are there no official add-ons, or 3rd-party plug-ins, that may support the configuration of the local shares?

No, there aren't.

Userlevel 1

Well, in the end I gave up. I've bought a Synology NAS, an expense I can do without. I've copied a small amount of music into the folder on the Synology, typed the new pathway into the S2 app and I now have music on my Sonos. So problem solved(expensively) and I'll just use my MyBookLive for other things. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have just updated to S1 11.2.13 and came on here to look because I have the same problem with a relatively new Synology DS416 slim with SSDs inside. “Unable to play….access to ‘NAS’ denied. <foldername> no longer available.

Try to add a different folder on the same NAS and it says it can’t ‘reason <computername> not responding.

Never update on Christmas Eve after support hours, eh? Not that it seems support know what is going on?

Just another nail in the coffin.

Cheers Sonos.

I have just updated to S1 11.2.13 and came on here to look because I have the same problem with a relatively new Synology DS416 slim with SSDs inside. “Unable to play….access to ‘NAS’ denied. <foldername> no longer available.

Try to add a different folder on the same NAS and it says it can’t ‘reason <computername> not responding.

Never update on Christmas Eve after support hours, eh? Not that it seems support know what is going on?

Just another nail in the coffin.

Cheers Sonos.

Why is it mentioning ‘computername not responding’ when you are using a NAS box and accessing it using SMB, rather than the http protocol?  - It sounds like you may have something wrong there in the path to the local library, or the SMB share login credentials are incorrect - perhaps try using the IP address instead of the netbios name in your library path and check the SMB share login credentials too?

Important to note that as you’re using S1, higher versions of SMB are not available, and you need to be certain that SMB v1 and NTML v1 are active. Both have been known to be reset by background updates to NAS software. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Aye, good questions. All I know is it was working. Do the update - no longer working.

Every file on the NAS is accessible from the same PC as the controller.

Any way to roll back?

For tomorrow I can probably copy a folder onto a stick and access it there but what a PITA.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The NAS firmware last updated end of October so not that.

Bad news, I’m afraid, there is no way to roll back the Sonos software. 

Sonos, since they’re working from Linux, don’t use the same method that Windows does to reach the library on the NAS, so being able to access the data from your PC doesn’t have much correlation. Sonos access does not go ‘through’ the controller. 

I’d still be double checking in the NAS firmware for SNB v1 and NTML v1 access. 

A temporary solution would be to copy the files back to your hard drive and set up that sharing, until such time as you’re able to get help from Sonos in figuring it out. Not ideal, for sure, but gets you music playing for the holiday. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Cheers, mate. Fairly tech literate but I’m not delving into whatever SNB and NTML are. as I said, just another nail in the coffin.

Cheers, mate. Fairly tech literate but I’m not delving into whatever SNB and NTML are. as I said, just another nail in the coffin.

It’s just the protocol (server message block - aka CIFS common internet file system ) that’s used for sharing files and NT LAN Manager is the authentication challenge that authorises the connection to the share - it needs to be set to version 1 for the S1 system to access your shared library - some NAS boxes may receive an update that changes all to a higher version - you just need to switch it back (sometimes) to fix it. Check your NAS settings/configuration page and perhaps even try logging onto the share through the Sonos App using your NAS admin logon credentials (if you’ve not tried that already).