(Youtube) YT Music Service - Like button missing (Thumb up/down)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Dear Sonos-Team,

I am in transitioning from Google Play Music (GPM) to YT Music, since GPM will be discontinued, soon. Since you support YT Music for quite a while I’d like to know if there are plans to put the implementation on par with the GPM implementation?

In general it works OK, but since the music suggestion algorithm relies on the song like (thumb up) functionality, it would be great to have this feature for YT Music. (Since supported for GPM)

Thanks for your support!

Regards
Jens

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Jens,

Sonos wrote an API that allows the streaming company to implement any or all of the features that the API supports. If there is a feature in one stream that doesn’t show up in another, it’s the streamer who hasn’t implemented it, since the API in use is the exact same one.

Sonos doesn’t get to pick and choose which features YouTube implements. They don’t have access to make changes on YouTube’s servers, that is entirely up to YouTube. I would recommend that you send your request in to YouTube, and ask them to implement that part of the API that has been provided. 

I can confirm that this issue is a Sonos issue. I have been in touch with YouTube Music and they are confirming that their app is ok. This issue has only happened when Sonos updated their S2 app

Thank you.

If you take notice.. the problem is also happening on Spotify andPandora

As @Airgetlam has already pointed out the various services are using https://developer.sonos.com/reference/sonos-music-api/ for implementing their features. You’re welcome to take a look. The basis is set, it’s on the services to max out the assets.

Smilja and/or SONOS Support,

I have similar concern as lifeofreily.  When I upgraded my Windows 10 to the latest S2, the thumbs-up/thumbs-down was available in YouTube Music.  Yea!  However, the very next day I rebooted and the feature is no longer available.  Boo!  To me that implies that Sonos and YouTube Music actually do work together and use the API’s, they are just broke.  To try again, I re-authorized my YouTube Music, but no change; still can’t see thumbs-up/down.

I’m a Software Developer and am impressed about the features available in the Sonos Developer link provided above; simple, easy to use, gets customers what they want, but doesn’t compromise security and allows for new content providers to be added really quick. 

That being said…… there is something wrong with Sonos and the S2 update.  In my view this is is NOT a music vendor issue, this is an issue for Sonos.  I see this issue of no thumbs-up/down occur on iOS version and the Windows 10 version of Sonos S2.  It shouldn’t have worked once, then never again.

IFF we are really SURE this is an issue with YouTube Music and that we (lifeofreily and others) need to contact YouTube Music, then does someone have a link for whom I can contact.  I’m not looking for the general link saying “Contact YouTube” because that would lead me into a trash bucket somewhere.  I'm hoping someone would have a link or contact or e-mail that Sonos has for YouTube Music so we can politely provide information to improve their services.  YouTube is ...kinda… a big company and easy to get lost in.

Thanks!

Userlevel 1

Let me add my voice to this thread.  It is EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTING that Sonos doesn’t have the thumb up/down functionality.  

We’re paying a lot of money for your products, Sonos.  Please make this right!  

It does seem coincidental that the thumbs up/down function is missing since the Sonos 2 update.

It would seem that other music services are affected too. 

Also voicing my feedback here - please add thumbs up / thumbs down to YT music!

These buttons (thumbs up especially) are critical to how I discover and enjoy music - pretty obvious but say when listening to random mixes or some playlist, without tumbs up it’s really awkward to tag something you like and find it later.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Sonos Community. 

Also, thanks for bringing this to our attention and I’ll be happy to share this feedback with the team. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

Krishma M,

Thanks for taking the feedback about thumbs up/thumbs down going to the team! :-)  I’m sure there are a lot of us on this thread and not on this thread that appreciate your work.  

One question: How will we know what happens to our question?  Since it was there before, will this be a bug-fix/Incident/case/PMR?  Or since the S2 update is new, so this will be identified as RFE (Request For Enhancement)? 

Is there a way to find out what number will be associated with this?  Case/Incident/Fix/RFE?

Next, how do we get details as to target date to fix (or not) and general status?

I’m used to opening cases/PMR’s with Pure Storage, IBM, EMC, HPe, and other computer vendors so I can keep track of what’s happening as well as others.  Seems like the threads on a board might not be as detailed as I’m used to. :-)

Please advise.  WE all love Sonos and the plethora of equipment we have now and will be purchasing in the future.  Totally love the MANY different platforms that Sonos supports on Windows/iPhone/Android and others.  That support for all the different platforms isn’t cheap and I understand.  So anything that can help us all Thumbs Up is GREATLY appreciated! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That is not how any of this works., as the meme goes.

When/if Google fix their YTM service, then the buttons will show up in the app. However Google are an ad company, and so far have shown little interest in fixing or improving their YTM SMAPI service to date.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. I don't have any details as to if it'll happen or have exact timing to share at this point, but I'll make sure the team knows people are still asking and will update this thread when we do. 

We and the community are always here.

Why is this not resolved yet?  Everyone that transitioned from Google Music to Youtube music no longer has the ability to like (thumbs up/down) songs.  This is a pretty basic feature.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Why is this not resolved yet?  Everyone that transitioned from Google Music to Youtube music no longer has the ability to like (thumbs up/down) songs.  This is a pretty basic feature.

Because Google don’t care. Switch to iBroadcast.

This is happening with Amazon Music too. I can’t select a song’s radio station anymore either. Some of the radio stations are not playing. I am not happy with the I am looking for another system as we speak. I believe they are trying to make us purchase Sonos Radio.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is happening with Amazon Music too. I can’t select a song’s radio station anymore either. Some of the radio stations are not playing. I am not happy with the I am looking for another system as we speak. I believe they are trying to make us purchase Sonos Radio.

Take your paranoia elsewhere please. This is a change by Amazon, not Sonos.

I was responding to YouTube Music. Not paranoid. I suppose it just happens on both platforms.

And they are touting free trial for Sonos Radio.

Badge

Very basic feature I agree.  Sort of at the heart of using YouTube Music, the ability to build your likes playlist while using Sonos is completely unattainable until either:

a) Thumbs up/down is implemented in the S2 app

b) Casting directly from the YTM app is enabled

No idea where to place blame on this one, and that's not my intent anyways.  Would just like the functionality.  One more push to leave YTM for another service, I won't be replacing my Sonos gear that's for sure. 

Jens,

Sonos wrote an API that allows the streaming company to implement any or all of the features that the API supports. If there is a feature in one stream that doesn’t show up in another, it’s the streamer who hasn’t implemented it, since the API in use is the exact same one.

Sonos doesn’t get to pick and choose which features YouTube implements. They don’t have access to make changes on YouTube’s servers, that is entirely up to YouTube. I would recommend that you send your request in to YouTube, and ask them to implement that part of the API that has been provided. 

Right, but shouldn't SONOS be reaching out to YouTube to bridge this gap for its customers? I'm thinking of selling my sonos speakers and buying something that allows me to stream general Bluetooth because I cant fully utilize my YouTube music through your glitchy user interface. Searching is clunky, and I cant like any track or add it to my YouTube Playlist. 

SONOS needs to bridge the SONOS/YTMusic API gap for its customers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Right, but shouldn't SONOS be reaching out to YouTube to bridge this gap for its customers? I'm thinking of selling my sonos speakers and buying something that allows me to stream general Bluetooth because I cant fully utilize my YouTube music through your glitchy user interface. Searching is clunky, and I cant like any track or add it to my YouTube Playlist. 

SONOS needs to bridge the SONOS/YTMusic API gap for its customers. 

Sonos support ~70 different music services, they can’t be expected to nanny all of them into implementing the various optional features. Plus Google have shown zero interest in any bug fixes or improvements to their YTM SMAPI service since its release, they really do not care about Sonos support for their service.

And frankly, YouTube Music is much more likely to listen to a paying subscriber than they are to Sonos. YTM neither pays money to, nor receives any money from Sonos.