Skip to main content

Will Sonos ever stop dependency on SMB v1?

• 14 November 2022
  • 9 replies

It’s 2022 and Sonos is still dependent on SMB v1!  I just tried making SMB v2 the minimum on my Synology  NAS were my music resides, and Sonos could not access it.  Until I turned on SMB v1 again.  When I did this I got the strong warning shown below.

Are there any plans to retire the Sonos dependency on SMB v1?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Are you running your system on S1, which isn't capable of supporting a higher SMB version?

S2 supports SMB v2/v3.

If you use a NAS with a Sonos S1 system, the NAS must support the SMBv1/CIFS file sharing protocol. There are known security risks when using SMBv1 for file sharing. If choosing to use SMBv1 for legacy reasons, please recognize that the authentication and encryption protections offered by SMBv2, and especially SMBv3 are not available to your network. Please note that using SMBv1 may leave the data on your NAS vulnerable to unauthorized access.

We recommend updating to Sonos S2 to use later versions of SMB when connecting your NAS to Sonos.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us//article/use-a-nas-drive-with-sonos

This has been covered in many, many other threads, too. There’s just not enough memory space in the S1 speakers to hold a kernel that includes a newer version of SMB. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Are you running your system on S1, which isn't capable of supporting a higher SMB version?

S2 supports SMB v2/v3.

If you use a NAS with a Sonos S1 system, the NAS must support the SMBv1/CIFS file sharing protocol. There are known security risks when using SMBv1 for file sharing. If choosing to use SMBv1 for legacy reasons, please recognize that the authentication and encryption protections offered by SMBv2, and especially SMBv3 are not available to your network. Please note that using SMBv1 may leave the data on your NAS vulnerable to unauthorized access.

We recommend updating to Sonos S2 to use later versions of SMB when connecting your NAS to Sonos.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us//article/use-a-nas-drive-with-sonos

No, running S2 as shown below.  If S2 supports SMBv2/v3, then why can’t Sonos find my music on my NAS when I disable SMBv1?

Now, that’s an odd one, for sure. If you’ve rebooted all devices (the Sonos speakers, the router, and the NAS), and double checked for updates to the NAS’ OS, I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of getting the error, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network. 

No, running S2 as shown below.  If S2 supports SMBv2/v3, then why can’t Sonos find my music on my NAS when I disable SMBv1?

I don't know why you are seeing what you see, but Sonos S2 has supported SMB 2/3 for a couple years now.

Does that help?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Now, that’s an odd one, for sure. If you’ve rebooted all devices (the Sonos speakers, the router, and the NAS), and double checked for updates to the NAS’ OS, I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of getting the error, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network. 

I rebooted my NAS, router, and PC, and still Sonos on my PC cannot connect to my music library on the Synology NAS.  But I just found out that the Sonos app on my Android phone is able to connect.  I’m wondering if it’s a NAS/Windows issue?  If I can’t resolve it I’ll contact support with diagnostics as suggested.

-Thanks

Ummm. Much as I’d like to support that theory, I’m having trouble doing so. The device reaching out to your NAS is the Sonos speaker(s), not the controller. 

You’re sure you’ve got an updated controller on your PC? It should be reaching out and displaying what is happening on the system, much as your Android is. 

There should be no difference between the two controllers. Now, that’s different when you’re not using the Sonos controller, and has more to do with what ever app / OS you’re using on the device, but the Sonos app is just a remote control, and doesn’t really do much in terms of talking to the NAS. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Ummm. Much as I’d like to support that theory, I’m having trouble doing so. The device reaching out to your NAS is the Sonos speaker(s), not the controller. 

You’re sure you’ve got an updated controller on your PC? It should be reaching out and displaying what is happening on the system, much as your Android is. 

There should be no difference between the two controllers. Now, that’s different when you’re not using the Sonos controller, and has more to do with what ever app / OS you’re using on the device, but the Sonos app is just a remote control, and doesn’t really do much in terms of talking to the NAS. 

Actually, Sonos on my Windows PC can connect, it’s just very slow.  It seems to have gotten faster after several connects.  Maybe an ARP table issue.