Skip to main content

Why have I have lost access to my music library on both Sonos S1 and S2 products?

I lost access to my music library (on my Mac Mini) after 7pm tonight - it appeared to coincide with an update on our MacBook (that I couldn’t avoid).

I have now lost access to my Music Library on both my S1 and S2 products - anyone know why that might be?

These are the messages I get:

S1

‘// Jamess-Mac-Mini/Music’ is no longer available. The device where the music files are stored may not be powered on, or the path my have changed.
Go to settings>System>Music Library>Music Library Setup to check the pat
h.

The only options I get are to add/delete a music library

S2

Sonos was unable to add the music folder

Unable to add the shared folder “James-Mac-mini/Music” to your Music Library (913)

As I said, all was working until around 7pm tonight, then everything stopped. So disappointed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

59 replies

@Billym44 Not sure about everyone else  but an update last week, and suddenly my own music library was available again. I still don't like the new Android app though. Not as user friendly as the previous version.

Is your music library stored on a NAS ??

No just on the hard drive of my PC.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am able to access my music library stored on a NAS once again but can only manage the library using the Sonos desktop (I use Windows) app. I don’t see any way to manage the library through the current iOS app. If you have the latest app, try updating the path to your NAS library using the desktop app and force a music library update. This may help.

I am able to access my music library stored on a NAS once again but can only manage the library using the Sonos desktop (I use Windows) app. I don’t see any way to manage the library through the current iOS app. If you have the latest app, try updating the path to your NAS library using the desktop app and force a music library update. This may help.

Music library creation and editing for mobile apps are scheduled for release in July:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

The Emperor’s New Clothes and the BBC TV sitcom “Yes Minister” come to mind.

I have been an early adopter of SONOS, initially purchasing Gen1 Play 5 and Play 3 as both stereo pairs, then play bar and sub and play1s. 

Extremely disappointed with SONOS when they tried to force purchases of GEN2 products by bricking GEN1 speakers. However on that occasion SONOS responded to customer dissatisfaction by reversing this and allowing GEN1 products to continue working.

Given the expense of SONOS products I would expect that they last at least as long as passive speakers from the days of analog/analogue tech. Not so. Both my Play3s have died and there is no direct or third party repair support from SONOS.

This latest S2 App failure and the failure of SONOS from the CEO down to acknowledge their customers in a respectful manner should be recognised honestly for what it is. SCAM is not too strong a word. 

I am not naive or as credulous as the SONOS CEO or Board seem to think their customers are. Nor am I ignorant of how corporations function. It is common for those who are appointed or promoted to senior positions of management to possess and display political skills, sycophantic and psychopathic qualities in equal measure to incompetence while deflecting blame for failure to those in the organisation with real technical expertise and intelligence whose advice is accepted in direct proportion with how they agree with or not with their employer’s decisions however flawed they may be. No one gets promoted by pointing out that the emperor has no clothes.

It would appear that the only course of action open to SONOS customer base present and future is the mounting of a Class Action. It is apparent that the CEO and Board are disingenuous when they claim that their primary reason d’être is to produce quality audio products and deliver exceptional customer experience. Clearly profit is driving this company above anything else to the extent that the business decisions result in a customer outcome equivalent to theft.

I can only recommend to family, friends and the general public to reject SONOS as a home audio solution and choose a manufacturer that demonstrates ethical behaviour in equal measure to technical proficiency.

It is courageous to admit when one is wrong, it is incompetent to pretend otherwise.

Yep. Emulating Musk. Sonos is killing itself with so called remedies. This CEO might have swallowed some bleach.

Userlevel 2

Hi to everyone that replied 🙂

Just wondering if anyone had any luck with the latest update (available from 22 July). The reason I ask is it (apologies in advance, as you probably all know this) says it has:

• Added setup, configuration, and search for local Music Library

I got a bit excited and updated my App as quickly as I could on Tuesday morning, and tried adding my Music Library, only to be met by the same message as last time 😒

“Sonos was unable to add the music folder
Unable to add the shared folder "//Js-mac-mini/Music" to your Music Library (913)”

So I tried emailing the CEO - Patrick Spence, via the email address on their website. You know, the one on the ‘Contact us’ page of their website.

It seemed to be encouraging me to email Patrick directly…? Interesting box on that page at the moment, about high demand across all our support channels…?

I was quite specific in the feedback I gave; below is the generic, one size fits all response that I got:

I have to be honest - I wasn’t expecting anything. But this is worse than no response, to my thinking. It shows a complete lack of empathy along with level of disconnect that beggars belief.

Has anyone had any luck with the new update?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Unfortunately, no luck with the latest update. The iOS app has some of the music library management features back but the only one that seems to work is deleting your shared folders. That worked fine. But now I’m back to where I was 2 months ago...unable to access the music library stored on my NAS drive. My system died the other night and then created multiple instances of imported playlists and albums, some of which were accessible, some were not. I was still able to use the Sonos playlists I created to deal with the missing sleep timer issue but thought I would try deleting my music library and re-adding it to deal with the playlist problems. Well, that was foolish of me. The latest version of the iOS app would not allow me to add a library, so I reverted to the desktop app. It previously allowed me to add my NAS library but now won’t let me add it either in its original location or in the copy I made of it, claiming the NAS is not powered on or the path to the NAS has changed. Neither is the case. I guess it’s back to waiting for Sonos to fix this problem.

Userlevel 2

Nightmare, the gift that just keeps on giving…

I just received a very weird email, as below. All it contained was Patrick Spence’s signature (tried clicking on it to no avail…?!)

Maybe it’s spam…?! 🤔

Userlevel 2
Badge

Unfortunately, no luck with the latest update. The iOS app has some of the music library management features back but the only one that seems to work is deleting your shared folders. That worked fine. But now I’m back to where I was 2 months ago...unable to access the music library stored on my NAS drive. My system died the other night and then created multiple instances of imported playlists and albums, some of which were accessible, some were not. I was still able to use the Sonos playlists I created to deal with the missing sleep timer issue but thought I would try deleting my music library and re-adding it to deal with the playlist problems. Well, that was foolish of me. The latest version of the iOS app would not allow me to add a library, so I reverted to the desktop app. It previously allowed me to add my NAS library but now won’t let me add it either in its original location or in the copy I made of it, claiming the NAS is not powered on or the path to the NAS has changed. Neither is the case. I guess it’s back to waiting for Sonos to fix this problem.

An update. I was able to get the desktop app to accept the path to my NAS again. I use a file synchronizer to keep my NAS music library in sync with my iTunes library. The synchronizer adds a log folder to my NAS music folder. Once I deleted the log folder, the Sonos app accepted the music library path. It seems like the new app cannot tolerate seeing any files other than the iTunes Music Library.xml file or folders other than folders containing music files. This is new behaviour: the pre “update” app never had this problem. Now I have to deal with the problem that the Sonos app is scrambling my albums and imported playlists, but that I guess is an issue for a different thread.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have spent hundreds of pounds to have Sonos speakers all around the house, purely to play music from the large library on my Windows Desktop (all ripped from CD’s that I bought).  This has disappeared completely from the Sonos App, making my investment a complete waste.  Any lawyers out there? Surely the basis for a massive Class Action suit! 

I was such a fan of Sonos, it worked beautifully (ok, a few glitches) & I used to recommend to everyone. 

Why on earth would they do this?

I feel the same way!