Answered

Where is the music index now option and the new S2 app?

Userlevel 3

All of my digital music is stored on my western digital Nas Drive. The previous S1 and S2 apps allowed me to update my music index whenever I added or deleted music on my Nas Drive. I can’t find that option in the new app.  

I was also able to create shortcuts to the various music folders on my Nas Drive through the old app, but apparently the new version no longer supports that option. Why is that?

icon

Best answer by buzz 8 May 2024, 03:21

View original

51 replies

You can still update the Music Index using a desktop controller.

If you have a phone/pad controller that has not been updated, refrain from updating for the present.

Userlevel 3

Thanks. I only updated my iPad to the latest app version, fearing that I might run into issues. My iPhone is the primary device that I used to control my various Sonos products. I won’t update that app until the Sonos engineers fix and / or add back the functionality that we currently don’t seem to have, including the ability to create and set alarms. 

Userlevel 2

Yes, this is a very retrograde step. There was no warning of this. I mainly listen to music from my NAS drive library & my android phone has auto updated to the new sonos app . I have lost all of my album art , can't scroll down the  library list quickly, can't search in this  library NOR UPDATE the  library from my phone. Fortunately I can still update my library using my PC at present , but worry if I'm forced to update the windows app. I was keen to see what the new headphones were like but wouldn't recommend purchasing.any new sonos products if this issue persists !

Userlevel 2
Badge

Van i go back to the previous version of the app?

Userlevel 2

I have my music library on a portable SSD.  The new update has made it impossible to use properly.  The library is essential frozen in a very poor state.  You cannot add or modify to it since indexing can only be done from the app (at least on my Mac Controller) and the new updated app does not have that functionality.  I am also going to need a new computer and then I cannot see how I can keep my music library.  One support guy said if you plug the SSD into the new computer tithe controller therein will recognise the music.  This does not sound plausible to me. Anyone have any ideas. Support seems embarrassed and doesn't really know.  They are getting a lot of flac when it should be the designers than those who signed off on it.  They should be forced to man the help lines and/or sacked  

All in all this release is a complete disaster.  It’s not just thjat it is a bad design (which it is) but they have teen away key functionality.   I use my music library most of the time and the have discarded such users in favour of streamers

Userlevel 3

I haven’t been able to update my music library from my desktop Mac for over a year now … the desktop controller simply hangs.  After attempting to fix the issue over many calls, (which usually simply meant rebooting all my speakers), the issue could not be fixed.  But wait … I could always update the index from my Android phone.  I was more or less whole.

With todays update I can lo longer update the index from my phone.  Luckily I have a Mac laptop from which update works. (Same network as my desktop).

When Sonos first came out I started buying units.  I’ve installed them in about three locations and have gone through the pain of the S2 updates.  … just a little history for my venting.

I can play Spotify on Sonos without the Sonos app.  However, my 50k+ loacl audio library which is why I first purchased Sonos, now is relatively useless on my phone!!!!!!  No searching or artwork!

I’ve drunk from the cool-aid I time too many.  This was supposed to be a great, long awaited, app update.  This is pre-beta at best with almost no functionality.  Half the controls I click on give errors.  Please make the last version of the S2 app prior to this alpha release available on the app stores.  I’ll be back where I was and not have to wait until June to get back to where I was … hopefully.  Customer Satisfaction!

Userlevel 3

No joke, at this point I’d love to go back to S1. I still have a connect and a 1st gen Play 5.  My Sonos ecosystem also has a Port and multiple Play1 versions.  I still have the screen controls for music playing on Sonos using the S1 app.  That went away in S2.  

so yep, reverting to S1 would work for me.  There is an option to do that in the last S2 but I don’t have confidence that it works as designed.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

I will leave Sonos behind over this. 

Userlevel 1

The Sonos music library option was NEVER reliable.  I have my music on an SSD connected directly to my router.  I have no issues managing the library from my MacBook but indexing never completes. I gave up. I was hoping the new app would fix the problem but instead Sonos made it worse.  As much as I’d like to, this is the reason I  won’t upgrade any of my components or purchase and additional speakers until it’s fixed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

so yep, reverting to S1 would work for me.  There is an option to do that in the last S2 but I don’t have confidence that it works as designed.  

I only have one speaker that requires S2 (a Roam that I can utilise as a Bluetooth Speaker) and as I only use Radio and a 35k track local library I reverted to S1 yesterday. It was like a breath of fresh air! 

Load up the S1 app and then reset one of your speakers to factory defaults (Google it) then downgrade that speaker using the option in S2. Once completed open the S1 app and add that into your new system. Do this systematically for each speaker and finally your Boost (if you have one) then uninstall S2. If at any time you have an issue with a speaker that will not downgrade or reset then connect that speaker to your router via Ethernet and try again after closing the S2 app and reopening. Be careful because after downgrading a speaker S2 may try to add it back in but just close S2.

Good luck 

Userlevel 1

I updated to the ‘new’ Sonos version 80.00.04 app on my iPhone yesterday morning. Unfortunately I cannot see my speakers (tried to add my speakers but to no avail), my music library on iTunes is missing (I can still see the library on Plex) but obviously have no play facility, the alarm function which I used every morning has gone etc etc. All the music I own was transferred to NAS several years ago. Basically my Sonos system is ‘dead’ when I try to use the ´new’ app. Fortunately my wife didn’t update so I still have the functionality using her iPhone on the old app. Sonos please address the problems and restore the old features otherwise several thousand pounds of equipment will become redundant especially if the old app is also made obsolete.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@ninjabob , it's good to keep that ROAM as-is so you will get settings etc. maintained if/when you go back to it.

Userlevel 1

I tried downloading the S1 app this morning and reset my system, no dice.  I tried to get the S1 app to work by “setting up a new system” and the app can’t find my devices so it wants me to run around the house and reset all my speakers.  Sonos better get their act together, as bad as alternatives may be, (Apple or Amazon devices) they just work.

Userlevel 1

The new SONOS controller update is horrible on every level. I lost access to my libraries, lost my boost, no ability to adjust sound (eq) from the volume tabs anymore, try to turn volume down and it shoots up to 80, I have mixed components that can only work with different releases of the app, can't delete superfluous widgets from home page, can't delete obsolete stations etc etc. 

It's really the Worst release I've ever experienced with ANY app!!    

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!! 

Userlevel 3

There is an article on the Verge website with the reply from Sonos. The claim is that all of the missing or broken functionality will be added back over time. So they are going to make us wait months before this might be sorted out.  

Definitely not the way to do business and treat your loyal customer base. They should have waited until sufficient testing was done to shake all this out. A very stupid move.  See the link below.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/9/24152675/sonos-new-app-bad-reviews-response-statement

Userlevel 1

Android app. I wanted to re index my library too and spent ages looking for the option to do so. No album artwork showing, no way to search no way to quickly scroll through the list! What was the point of releasing it?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just tried to add multiple albums/tracks to a music queue…

Can anyone explain how to do this ? This was completely 'intuitive' in previous version app! Adding/deleting a track, editing a queue,  replacing it? All gone?

Who makes this type of choices at Sonos? Patrick Spence?

This makes me SO MAD!

Userlevel 2
Badge

To get back to previous S2 app:

Uninstall current Sonos App.

Now go to website APKMirror.

Search for Sonos.

Download version 16.1

Install.

Back on the gorgeous old S2 app!

Userlevel 1

To get back to previous S2 app:

Uninstall current Sonos App.

Now go to website APKMirror.

Search for Sonos.

Download version 16.1

Install.

Back on the gorgeous old S2 app!

Problem is that S2 isn’t compatible with all new gen speakers.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have a five, 2 Sonos ones, 1 Amp, 1 connect Amp from the last gen. For this works totally fine. Firmware of components is 16.1.1

App version 16.1

I made the mistake up upgrading the app on my iPhone to the latest 80.00.04. I have lost access to my two Play 1 speaker, two Play 3 speakers and to my own music library on a NAS drive. I have re-installed the app, reset one of the Play 3 speakers and it lets me add the speaker but I can’t select it or use it so I now have a Sonos system that I paid a lot of money for but is now useless! Why don”t Sonos updates come with a regression option?!!! Would not recommend Sonos to anyone!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I don't know nor understand Android updates, but after downgrading my Sonos app to v 16.1, ie the 'brown app', this was yesterday, so today i made the stupid mistake of upgrading to the new current Sonos app. 

I de-installed after the current Sonos app.

Re-installed the 16.1 version 'Brown app'. This time from the APKmirror  version i downloaded yesterday on my Android phone. 

All works fine again with the v16.1 Brown icon app

Userlevel 2
Badge

does anyone know where the brown S2 16.1 for IOS may be, the above has android, but not IOS

Userlevel 2
Badge

Don't shoot on me if this doesnt work, i am An Android app user but Found this:

https://www.ipa4fun.com/ipa/345019/

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for that, there’s about a zillion buttons that say “download” on that page - no idea which one is genuine