Answered

When will Spotify actually work with Sonos?

On a completely ‘refreshed’ network, where my Sonos speakers and components are no more than 10 unimpeded feet away from the router (on a 1 gig network), Spotify routinely skips a song (or more) and starts 10 seconds into a song 4-5 songs down on the playlist.

Apparently this is a 4-year old problem without resolution. My research indicates people asking this question that long ago and *still* there is no resolution for it. 

I spent thousands on Sonos gear at this point. That it is incompatible with the world’s leading music streaming service is pathetic. 

Why not admit that Sonos doesn’t support Spotify?

And why do you close off conversations in this support community as if the problem has actually been resolved?

icon

Best answer by buzz 21 January 2023, 18:25

View original

22 replies

In my experience there is nothing to resolve. SPOTIFY just works for me and legions of other users.

There is a hardware or network issue in your system.

If you describe your system and network for us we can offer some pointers. Or you can submit a diagnostic and contact SONOS support.

Yep, Spotify is working absolutely fine here too - it needs more information from the OP about their network-setup, router, AP’s, switches, channels in use, channel-widths, if using SonosNet etc.

I appreciate your response and am glad Spotify works for you. So...Spotify has never, ever skipped a song on a playlist for you?

Also, why does this issue come up repeatedly? Look at the r/Sonos subreddit on Reddit.com. For that matter, look at the posts on this website. It is a perennial issue for many people.

Nevertheless I will submit my diagnostics. I am just a music-head, not an EE, but I’ve been setting up wireless networks for 25 years. Odd that this one app is causing me so much agita.

I appreciate your response and am glad Spotify works for you. So...Spotify has never, ever skipped a song on a playlist for you?

Nope, Spotify doesn’t skip a track here for me.

Also, why does this issue come up repeatedly? Look at the r/Sonos subreddit on Reddit.com. For that matter, look at the posts on this website. It is a perennial issue for many people.

It’s quite often a network issue when that happens.

Nevertheless I will submit my diagnostics. I am just a music-head, not an EE, but I’ve been setting up wireless networks for 25 years. Odd that this one app is causing me so much agita.

Diagnostics cannot be seen/read here, as this is mostly a Sonos user community although Staff may pickup on some posts, but very rare that happens at weekends - diagnostics are best when you go onto contact Sonos Support Staff to resolve your issue, but if you need assistance from the users here you first need to provide helpful details about your network setup/settings, as mentioned earlier.

Just popped onto the forums to see if any reported issues with Sonos-Spotify today as it’s been suddenly skipping tracks for me all morning.  Usually it’s rock solid - so maybe something up in the backend for some users?  I’m not ruling out an issue with my network - I’ve made many changes over the past week (new router, changed a few speakers over to wired connection).  Looking at the connection matrix all shows good (mostly green with a couple of yellows but I’m not even using those “yellow” speakers today).

If my issues persist over next the few days I’ll contact Sonos support and submit a diagnostic report.  Just chiming in here to point out that I’m also suddenly having Spotify-Sonos issues today.

Just popped onto the forums to see if any reported issues with Sonos-Spotify today as it’s been suddenly skipping tracks for me all morning.  Usually it’s rock solid - so maybe something up in the backend for some users?  I’m not ruling out an issue with my network - I’ve made many changes over the past week (new router, changed a few speakers over to wired connection).  Looking at the connection matrix all shows good (mostly green with a couple of yellows but I’m not even using those “yellow” speakers today).

If my issues persist over next the few days I’ll contact Sonos support and submit a diagnostic report.  Just chiming in here to point out that I’m also suddenly having Spotify-Sonos issues today.

Spotify is working okay here, however I’m over in the UK. I checked the Sonos Status Page HERE too and that’s not showing anything untoward for Spotify at the moment, but maybe keep an eye-out for any changes in its status.

Situations change over the years. Networks that have been trouble free for years can develop issues due to hardware failure, neighbors adding interference, or the network may never have been setup optimally and it is now struggling as more and more clients have been added.

As more and more wireless devices enter our homes, some ancient routers are now over their head and should be replaced with a modern unit.

Yep Jay dubs. Skipping tracks, sudden loss of connection and it’s the same for everyone we know with Sonos. Reboot, all good for short time then back to square 1. But not a Sonos problem, eh? 

SSmusic,

None of my personal friends are reporting issues with SPOTIFY on their SONOS systems. Friends will usually get in touch with me if there is a hic-up.

If you give us some details about your system and network we can make suggestions. My first suggestion is refrain from Factory Reset because it will waste your time and not be any more effective than the re-boot. Also, submit a diagnostic and follow up with phone support. Regular Community users do not have access to the diagnostic data.

Well, I clearly have the same issue as above users commented, long pause & tracks skipping..

Here’s my setup :

2 x Sonos Amps + 2 in ceiling + 2 in wall speakers

1 x Sub gen3

1 x Era 300

all firmwares and softwares updated.

Broadband 800Mo with home fully meshed out (Eero6) and Ethernet cabled to both Amps

Spotify with Era300 (wireless) works ok, sometimes skipping but it’s minor.

in the other hand, with the Amps (Ethernet), it’s just continuously dropping & skipping. Followed every possible troubleshooting I could find online incl, power cycles, uninstall/install apps, soft/hard reset, DCHP reconfig, network reboots…

Apple music and Sonos radio are working fine.

Am I missing anything?

I probably should give up on Spotify, that would be more time/cost effective…

Well, I clearly have the same issue as above users commented, long pause & tracks skipping..

Here’s my setup :

2 x Sonos Amps + 2 in ceiling + 2 in wall speakers

1 x Sub gen3

1 x Era 300

all firmwares and softwares updated.

Broadband 800Mo with home fully meshed out (Eero6) and Ethernet cabled to both Amps

Spotify with Era300 (wireless) works ok, sometimes skipping but it’s minor.

in the other hand, with the Amps (Ethernet), it’s just continuously dropping & skipping. Followed every possible troubleshooting I could find online incl, power cycles, uninstall/install apps, soft/hard reset, DCHP reconfig, network reboots…

Apple music and Sonos radio are working fine.

Am I missing anything?

I probably should give up on Spotify, that would be more time/cost effective…

Just ensure that your Sonos devices are not wired to any of the eero satellite hubs as it is recommended the wired products should only be linked directly back to the main router/hub. Keep the wired devices one metre away from any wireless AP’s too. My Son and his family had this issue and he signed out of ‘all devices, everywhere’ in his Spotify online account and removed/reauthorised Spotify and that seemed to sort it for them. Apparently having crossfade switched ‘off’ also assisted the track-skipping issues.

HTH

Badge

I also have a Spotify issue, my Sonos 1 stereo pair keep losing connection to Spotify when on wifi, but not if one of the speakers is wired.

However, wifi works fine on every other service, BBC Sounds, Calm radio, Amazon radioo. What is different about Spotify?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

https://status.sonos.com

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have this Spotify sonos issue. I moved from you tube to Spotify a few years ago because Spotify functionality was better with sonos. What the actual is going on because there's definitely a problem. Skipping songs, going silent. It's not a home network issue .. Mixcloud works fine. 

For some users there is a current issue with Spotify and crossfade. For the moment, don’t enable crossfade in the SONOS controller App when playing Spotify.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Tx @buzz .. crossfade is off.. Iv noticed Spotify plays via phone with no issues. Once Spotify is activated via Sonos app.. issues. Intermittent.. skipping or silence when a song plays... There has been a good few people experiencing this same thing for 4yrs . . Surely Sonos or Spotify knows what is going on?

Tx @buzz .. crossfade is off.. Iv noticed Spotify plays via phone with no issues. Once Spotify is activated via Sonos app.. issues. Intermittent.. skipping or silence when a song plays... There has been a good few people experiencing this same thing for 4yrs . . Surely Sonos or Spotify knows what is going on?

For the majority of people it’s been the case that having crossfade ‘enabled’ which has caused the issue, for some others it’s been a bandwidth, or wireless interference, issue. If it’s not crossfade, I would start with WiFi interference next and just ensure the Sonos speakers are running on a non-overlapping 2.4Ghz WiFi channel (1, 6 or 11) only. Set the channel-width to 20Mhz, rather that the default of 20/40 and if there are any wired Sonos products, then move them 1m away from from any WiFi access point. If using SonosNet, select a channel in the Sonos App that is different to the router channel mentioned above… see if those few things will quickly solve the problem for you. Try different wireless channels and just see if it helps.

I’m just using the Spotify ‘free’ version in the S2 App and it plays without any issues here, but thats when not using crossfade.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Ken_Griffiths thanks. I am on sonosnet. Changed to 20Mhz.

All channels show usage . I assume you want me to switch to strongest signal? They seem pretty much the same.

Am i understanding you correctly?

There are three ‘non-overlapping’ 2.4Ghz WiFi channels to ideally select for your router WiFi and so if you select say channel 6 (with a 20Mhz channel-width) on the router, then set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App to either 1 or 11.

If no joy with that channel 6, then try a different router channel, such as 11 and try SonosNet on either channel 1 or 6 etc.

As you’re using SonosNet what is Important too, is to ensure the Sonos product that you have wired direct to your router, that initiates your SonosNet signal to your other products, ideally needs to be set well away from your router, so ensure it’s at least one metre away, to reduce interference from the router.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Iv been a sonos user for Long years now. The sonos forum.. these members here are probably the best client experience iv had other than amazon customer service. 

I just realised my router is close to the router. I need to move it or test non sonosnet performance too. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The sad part is i went back to yt music. No streaming issues. But then i remembered the limited functionality for yt music.

Spotify. Doesn't stream well (slience/skips) but everything else does. It's eerie. Yt music functionality still sucks.

The sad part is i went back to yt music. No streaming issues. But then i remembered the limited functionality for yt music.

Spotify. Doesn't stream well (slience/skips) but everything else does. It's eerie. Yt music functionality still sucks.

I have tried them both, Spotify & YTM, but have ended up sticking with Amazon Music HD/UltraHD for now - I also like Deezer and Apple Music services too - all those three have been reliable here. I guess it’s down to reliability at the end of the day and what works well at your main listening location. I still use the Spotify and YTM ‘free’ services too though and they’ve been okay aswell. I would just go with what works for you.